Search Unity

Rotation animation issue with constant tangents?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by ammar26, Nov 28, 2013.

1. ammar26

ammar26

I'm creating an animation based on Transform -> Rotation in Animation window. But I don't want continuous animation curves, so I made the tangents for both sides constant like shown in picture

$Curves.png

But the animation is not discrete, its still continuos rotation animation. I don't want continuous motion. I want discrete values. Can anyone tell me whats wrong here ? Is it bug in unity or Im doing something wrong

Can anyone please confirm? Is it a Bug?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. ammar26

ammar26

Can anyone please confirm me, is it a bug or I'm doing something wrong

3. ammar26

ammar26

Please can anyone confirm ?

4. Malhavok

Malhavok

Warning: i don't know how to achieve your desired behaviour in a nice way via Unity

I'd say it's a bug. Why? Because, inside animation, rotation is handled differently than position and scale.
    When you look deep enough into animations, positions and scales are kept in key-frames (just like we place them), but whenever you add rotation it's interpolated for every frame.

What i'd suggest as a test:
    1) go to edit -> project settings -> editor -> asset serialization, set to "force text" (this can take a while)
    2) open your animation in your text editor of choice
    3) seek string: "m_RotationCurves"

you should see a long list of values under it, each starting with m_Curve. you're modifying euler angles and values there are quaternions, but let's not worry about it too much. Try removing all frames "in between" of your desired rotations (you seems to have some set time steps between certain rotation values).
    check if it works (i wonder that myself).

Edit:
    i'd forgot. whenever you see "inSlope" and "outSlope" parameters in that curve, change their values to "Infinity" (capital letter at start). it should make change from one angle to another instant.
    EoEdit

you can also search for "m_EditorCurves" and check whether these contain anything bad or are exactly the curves that you set via Unity interface

after entire process you may want to turn asset serialization on. remember also to copy your animation before doing anything to it.

Edit (my stupid mistake with quaternions...):
    quick quaternion guide: if you modified only euler z rotation, all of these angles should look like: (0, 0, sin(angle / 2), cos(angle / 2))
    EoEdit

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    Makaveliy, hertz-rat and nicholasmu like this.
  5. Murfbard

Murfbard

I am running into this same issue. I am swapping sprites and unfortunately the rotation must be set immediately and not animate. I hope this is fixed soon.

6. ammar26

ammar26

Thank you very much

7. Elkis

Elkis

Thank you Malhavok! I ran into this issue too and your suggestion corrected it :D

I hope this will get fixed soon.

8. gnumaru

gnumaru

I'm not a necromancer, but let me raise the dead for a good reason.

Even now, 2015, using Unity 5, this behavior remains the same, the bug is not fixed. Animation curves for transform rotations can't be set to constant and the curve can't be broken. The editor will show the graphic of a constant curve as expected, but it will play like an auto-curve.

This behaviour should be fixed after almost more than a year...

9. Bezzy

Bezzy

10. soulburner

soulburner

Just faced the same issue. That's a crap!

11. Fexman

Fexman

Same issue for me, shouldn't this be an easy fix on dev side? Anyone report a bug yet?

12. Fexman

Fexman

I just submitted an issue, waiting for approval.

EDIT: Just realized Bezzy did a report, oh well.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  13. Sabrino

Sabrino

So this issue is still not fixed? It's been quite a long time, and it does seem quite straightforward. It is a very disruptive problem, especially for sprite work.

Should we submit another issue? I couldn't find anything related to this problem on the bug tracker.

14. weitay

weitay

Eurgh not again

15. Fexman

Fexman

16. Sabrino

Sabrino

Thanks Fexman, let's hope it's fixed in the next version. In the meantime I'll keep animating an exposed public field to force the correct rotation...

17. Fexman

Fexman

Tried it again with Version 5.2.2f1, not seeing any improvement.
    Been a while.

18. Joseph_

Joseph_

I am experiencing this issue as well.

19. Razouille

Razouille

Still got this issue with version 5.3.1p3... Is there any way to avoid that easily ?

Editing the motion files is working, but i got hundred of them with many key points, i can't waste so much time with that...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  20. ggulsoft2

ggulsoft2

Genies_Dom likes this.
  21. nicholasmu

nicholasmu

Unity Technologies

Good idea, I made a tool to change value to "Infinity"
    https://github.com/unity-cn/CustomAnimationTools

BrightBit likes this.
  22. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

23. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

24. nicholasmu

nicholasmu

Unity Technologies

Can you provide some more information? error log, and unity version.

25. AndrewRHBoyd

AndrewRHBoyd

Unity 2017.30f3 Personal (64bit)
    Error Log: "You are trying to import an asset which contains a global game manager. This is not allowed."

This tool would be extremely useful. Please let me know if you update the tool or if you have an idea on how I could fix this myself. Thanks!

26. nicholasmu

nicholasmu

Unity Technologies

Hi AndrewRHboyd, I tested with Unity 2017.3.0f3, but unreproducible on my side, could you please give me small demo?

27. Zklegon

Zklegon

Hey everybody, I'm currently using Unity 2018.2.15f1 and I'm running into the same issue with rotation interpolation still occurring despite the frames being constant. The fixes here didn't end up working for me. I'm going to be editing those frames out in some video software later on but I wanted to bring this up because it's still an issue that I think would be good to have fixed/improved on, thanks!

Hollow_Spy likes this.
  28. raulius

raulius

29. nicholasmu

nicholasmu

Unity Technologies

Hi Zklegon, I updated this tool, it support FBX file. Please try again. https://github.com/unity-cn/CustomAnimationTools

Hollow_Spy, Syganek and playBlaster like this.
  30. nicholasmu

nicholasmu

Unity Technologies

Hi Raulius, could you upload an animation clip? I'll test this.

31. playBlaster

playBlaster

Hi Nicholasmu. I tried out your modified script today and I can confirm that it removed all curves from my stepped animation exported with maya. This is evident in the animation itself, however in the animation editor, there still appear to be curves. I'm choosing to not trust what I see there. the size of the anim file ended up at 3MB, rather large compared to the 527 KB file it was generated from. I exported the animation using the 2014/2015 fbx exporter version and I am using unity 2019.2.

32. hexen888

hexen888

I managed to get around a similar issue by adding the properties manually to each key frame instead of using the record button. This is a good fix for simple animations but not so much for more complex animations.

33. Syganek

Syganek

ribbanya likes this.