Search Unity

Rotating objects on other rotating objects

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by McFly85, Sep 18, 2019.

1. McFly85

McFly85

Is it possible to have a rotating object that is connected to another object that is rotating on a different axis? Like an amusment park ride for example.

My current experiments have failed by breaking apart parented objects at the rotating joints and left sections rotating in mid air, whereas seperately all sections work on their own.

I assume I'm in for a headache of trying to understand Quaternions in depth but any links would be greatly appreciated because I'm not exactly sure where to start. Or if you could just put me out of my misery and tell me it can't be done, at least it will save me wasting a lot of time.

2. McFly85

McFly85

Sorry, nevermind, I've spent too much time testing this in the runtime build mode I'm creating and not enough time testing the concept from edit mode. Apparently there's no issue creating what I mentioned, there's obviously a flaw in my building system.

Joe-Censored and JoeStrout like this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Just make sure on the child object you're doing local rotation rather than worldspace rotation and you should be fine.

McFly85 likes this.
  4. McFly85

McFly85

Thanks for the tip. Turned out to be a parenting conflict in my building system causing children to be abducted, but I didn't even think of local/worldspace rotation so I'll keep it in mind.
    Cheers.

Joe-Censored likes this.