Search Unity

Rotated reflection probes

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by AndersMalmgren, Dec 17, 2017.

1. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I have a exterior scene with buildings with interiors. How am I supposed to get good reflection inside the buidlings when the cube does not roate with the building?

upload_2017-12-17_21-43-10.png

Even worse anything outside will be reflected by the completely wrong indoor reflection probe.

What am I missing here?

2. Ostwind

Ostwind

3. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I did a quick test, placed a outside object inside the indoor probe.
    This is the result
    upload_2017-12-17_21-51-1.png
    To be honest not even the outside walls of the building should use the indoor reflection probe

Here is teh same scene with the indoor probe turned off
    upload_2017-12-17_21-50-48.png

4. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

So you need to use a world oriented in 90 degrees as of now?

5. Martin_H

Martin_H

As a workaround maybe the indoor reflection probe could be activated with a trigger when you actually enter the building and deactivated when you leave?

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi I removed your inflammatory title and moved the thread so it can get some decent input.

7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

The answer is to not rely on box projection so much, use anchor overrides to make the exterior stuff use another probe and use SSR for contact reflections.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  8. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Thanks, you have any resources for this I can read up on?

9. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I could not believe my eyes that this did not just work. So a bit angry title yeah. Sorry.
    It must be a very common use case that you have exterior with buildings with interior. I mean heck. It doesnt even need to be intior. Stuff in the shade also needs their own probe to look good

10. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

No, I'm sorry, I generally only use the manual and read the forums, so I don't know anything to suggest really.

Read the manual on the mesh renderer (which has "anchor override"), read the manual about the reflection probes and for SSR try the post processing stack : https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/PostProcessing

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The concept was you'd have probes that cover large bounds and smaller probes inside that for more local information and in deferred these probes are blended together so with a bit of fiddling you'd generally get something decent.

Unfortunately with forward it doesn't quite work out like that and also for diagonal or circular indoor structures with thin walls. For edge cases like that have to do fiddling and rule breaking and messing about until it doesn't look offensive, basically.

That's my experience of them anyway. Probably best to rely on not having a probe there and using something like SSRR or a custom probe with the least offensive generic look.

My verdict is their implementation "could be better".

12. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I wouldnt call this a edge case. Any game with both exterior and interior will have this problem. :/

I'm using the PBR workflow and it looks like S*** with the wrong reflection info. Oh well, will need to read up on SSRR, its a competly new term for me

13. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

"screen space ray-traced reflections"

Ok, so forgot to mention, this is a VR game, we need to run everything baked to be able to hit 90 FPS

14. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Also it seems SSR is only available in deferred rendering, we are on forward (again VR)

Martin_H likes this.
  15. Zomby138

Zomby138

I'm right there with you Anders. I honestly can't believe it's been like this for so long.

Every time there's a new version I look though the release notes for something about rotating reflection probes, or custom volumes of influence. And there's nothing, ever. It's been years!

It's really not an edge case. You run into the problem all the time. The lighting inside a building can be extremely dark, very different from what's outside.

:(

Martin_H and AndersMalmgren like this.
  16. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Its a bit crazy actually. It does not even need to be interiors, it can be a object in the shade. If its just a tad reflective it will need a custom probe that spans the shaded area

17. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Just look at our interiors without a interior probe, it looks like crap
    Even the interior wall to the left in this pic shouldnt be affected by the exterior probe

Archviz3d and Martin_H like this.
  18. Rich_A

Rich_A

Any updates/confirmation that Reflection Probes can be rotated in LWRP/HDRP?

Even a reflection cylinder and sphere would be useful (Unreal supports reflection spheres and boxes, not sure if the boxes can be rotated though.

19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah sure can be rotated fine in HDRP. It would be worrying not since Seb Lagarde kind of pioneered the best way to do these in Remember Me.

20. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

How it is possible it is not fixed since 2015? Any info about it?

DanjelRicci and Elin42 like this.