Search Unity

Rotate dummy parent applying physics of children.

Discussion in 'Physics' started by nporaMep, Oct 25, 2015.

1. nporaMep

nporaMep

I have GO with Transform named "Pallet"
    It has multiple children GOs with RigidBodies and Colliders. They represent planks of the pallet.

I want to rotate and move "Pallet", so that children rigidbodies apply physics.
    Rotating Pallet results in changes of both global position and rotation of plank.

As I understand Unity's API now this should be done with RigidBody.MovePosition/MoveRotation on each plank.
    If I just set position/rotation of "Pallet" physics are not applied by planks as they are moved.

What is the correct approach here?
    Should I rotate/move planks instead of Pallet? If so - how to convert Quaternion(rotation)/Vector3(translate) of a parent to child object?

2. nporaMep

nporaMep

More specifically, plank is more like a roller, for now it is unity's cylinder that is rotated 270 degrees around Z axis so it doesn't stay on flat side, but roll.

I have a desk under that rollers that is being rotated around Y.
    From that desk I receive its Quaternion.

Then I need to rotate roller first by 270 degrees, then by desk's quaternion, then around local horizontal axis, so roller rolls.

I tried like 20 methods, but didn't make it yet. Best thing I got now is rotate it by 270 degrees w/o physics and then by desk's quaternion with physics.
    Physics are applied by delta, I calculate it via deskQuaternion * Quaternion.Inverse(oldRotation)