Search Unity

1. We would like to hear your feedback about Unity and our products. Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Rotate an object to target

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by angel_m, Feb 6, 2019.

1. angel_m

angel_m

Hi, I'm using this known code to make the enemies follow the target (Player):

void RotateToTarget() {
    Vector3 direction = target.position - transform.position;
    direction.y = 0;

if (direction.magnitude < 0.1f)
    return;

transform.rotation = Quaternion.Slerp (transform.rotation, Quaternion.LookRotation(direction), rotationSpeed * Time.deltaTime);
    }

The problem is my game scenary is spherical, it is a planet and when the player and the enemy are on the bottom part of the planet, the enemy turns upside down. On a normal plane scenery it works well.
    I have checked this behaviour is due the RotateToTarget method used, so I need to find another method to orient the enemy towards the target. (I'm afraid I am very bad in math..:()

Any idea?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  2. kru

kru

Quaternion.LookRotation assumes that the up vector is Vector3.up (y+). You'll need to pass in your agent's up vector. I can't tell you exactly how to get that, since it depends on how your geometry is structured, but I suspect your up vector will generally be the agent's position - planet center.

3. angel_m

angel_m

SOLVED: I had to add "transform.up" as the second parameter in LookRotation.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019