Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Roslyn Analyzer/Generator Scope Works Unexpectedly

Discussion in 'Experimental Scripting Previews' started by doublelift41, Nov 28, 2022.

1. doublelift41

doublelift41

I tried to use source generator example in this unity documentation. This works correctly but I getting CS0436 error in console. Its normal or is there something wrong?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets\Example.cs(7,16): warning CS0436: The type 'ExampleSourceGenerated' in 'UnitySourceGenerator\UnitySourceGenerator.ExampleSourceGenerator\exampleSourceGenerator.cs' conflicts with the imported type 'ExampleSourceGenerated' in 'Unity.EditorCoroutines.Editor, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'. Using the type defined in 'UnitySourceGenerator\UnitySourceGenerator.ExampleSourceGenerator\exampleSourceGenerator.cs'.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Sounds like the class you are generating uses the same class name as the script that generates it (which presumably is defined in Example.cs).

3. doublelift41

doublelift41

No they are not same name.
    I decompiled Unity assemblies, for instance a UnityEngine.UI and I saw that source generator generates seperate code for every different assembly. Then I guess the meaning of the CS0436 warning is you are calling current Assembly's A.B.C() method but there are same declerated method in another assembly.

4. doublelift41

doublelift41

Documentation says "Unity applies analyzers to all assemblies in your project’s Assets folder". But its generate code for assemblies in the Library folder too. According to the documentation this should not be the case.
    For instance UnityEngine.UI contains analyzers.

5. HaraldNielsen

HaraldNielsen

Unity Technologies

Yes, the issue here is that you are generating public types with same namespace and class name for every Assembly.
    You can either make the name namespace/class more specialized to not get those errors. Alternatively make the generated class internal also helps

6. doublelift41

doublelift41

Thanks, yes there is some ways to fix that. But I wondered that. It is the some kind of bug or documentations is misleading?

7. AdamBebko

AdamBebko

Making the generated attribute class internal fixed it for me. Thanks.

Code (CSharp):
    3.      public string Source => @"
    4. using System;
    6. namespace MyGenerators
    7. {
    8.    [AttributeUsage(AttributeTargets.Class, Inherited = true, AllowMultiple = false)]
    9.    internal class SomeGeneratedAttribute : Attribute
    10.    {
    12.    }
    13. }";

HaraldNielsen likes this.