Search Unity

Rope Script V2 now availiable - 8/08/10

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by reveriejake, Nov 19, 2009.

?

Should I continue to support this script

1. Yes I need this script and appreciate your support!

94.4%
  2. I think its fine how it is!

3.2%
  3. I know enough about programming to fix it myself!

2.5%
  1. kodagames

kodagames

Not sure if anyone can help but I was wondering if anyone knows how I would freeze or ignore Y rotation? I Have it attached to another object and for movement and want to restrict it from moving up and down.

If not no worries :)

2. reveriejake

reveriejake

There is a way to constrain Rigidbodies. In the Rigidbodies properties in the inspector there is a dropdown called "Contraints". Select the axis you want to lock in the check boxes.

Attached Files:

3. nevaran

nevaran

ill take a look at this as soon as my occlusion culling is ready ;)

4. zeldafan_mimo

zeldafan_mimo

Okay if anyone Can Help with any of these Two stuffs I would be Glad ,

One ,
    A Rope which is Attached to a Wooden Log ,
    The character can Pull and Push the Log so that the Rope swings and Collides with other Objects it Hits,

Two
    A rope with which the character can Grab on and Swing .

Any Help :(

5. CoCoNutti

CoCoNutti

Hi I've read through the notes, but have some basic questions about the plugin that I hope someone can answer for me :)

My objective: spawning 'enemy' that jumps down from a top platform bungi-style (at the end of a rope)

1. Not sure how to script it so that the enemy starts at spawn point, and is then dropped off the platform to a pre-defined distance.
    2. As i will be dropping many (30+ enemies), I'm getting high draw call count with line renderer. Any way of lowering this?? I appear to gain one draw call per enemy/rope combo. I figure this is the material attached to the line render. (But it's always the same for each enemy so wondering why this isn't batched?) I've also tried using the prefab option rather than line renderer, using a prefab that uses a 2D sprite atlas, but again, very high draw calls.... Is there anyway around this?

EDIT: P.S. Tried to download your Cloth.zip from the site, and when unzipped it contains all of these weird files (not a project file or any scripts/assets)

Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  6. NickChalvatzakis

NickChalvatzakis

Wow really nice thanks for sharing :)

7. CoCoNutti

CoCoNutti

mini-bump....no one able to assist? thank you.

In addition to the above I also have a question regarding spawning/instantiating a prefab.

I have an object with a rope attached, all contained within a prefab. However, when I spawn/instantiate this prefab, the gameobjects for the rope of the object are spawned separately from the main prefab transform. Wondering if this is a bug or me doing something wrong in the application of the Rope script.

Many thanks for ideas or help on this

8. BFDesign

BFDesign

Howdy,

I believe your site is down. I would love to play around with this!

-Rich

9. sukisan

sukisan

Me too - does anyone have a copy of the script and can share it?

10. PolyMad

PolyMad

I have the script but it's not working for me... I attached it to an empty gameobject, made another gameobject and set it as a target but no mesh is visible.
    On the other side, it looks like collision is working grrrrrr...

I copied the script here, for anybody who can't find it.

11. junaum

junaum

Hi Jake, thanks a lot for this. If my (still enthusiast) project turns out to be a hit, I'll be to contrib!

Perhaps someone here could also help me out on a simple question: I'm currently using the Script attached to a dummy, and the "end" to another dummy. It works as intended while in prefab mode (both starting and ending axis can be moved indepently), but when I use the script in "Line rendering" mode, the start axis gets automatically centered and I can't move it anymore. Is there anything that I might be doing wrong?

12. reveriejake

reveriejake

Whoa! I get one email for every 10 replies on this thread!

@solo24601and sukisanThe site should be back up as of November but someone was pointing out that they were having some issues with the link in the downloads section? If so let me know via PM here or sending an email to jake@reverieinteractive.com sense I don't see these posts very often in my email.

@mangoblue The issue with the wierd files seems to happen when I zip the files in a certain way. I have been zipping the files a different way and have not had any issues so far. The problem is the Cloth example is probably lost forever sense my server was wiped clean during the 2 month downtime =[

@megmaltese The mesh is not created in the current versions of the rope script so you will not see a mesh. You will either have to use the line renderer or the prefab option. If your using the prefab option make sure that you have a prefab selected in the prefab variable! Also thanks for posting the file to your dropbox and helping those in need!

@junaum Sounds like a problem in the code, I will take a look at it and see whats going on with that. Could you let me know what version of the rope script your using is? It should be in the name of the file.

I will follow up on some of these questions soon!

Thanks guys,
    Jake

13. junaum

junaum

Hi Jake, thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm currently using the latest available version from your website (Rope BETA 4.0 (December 14, 2011). The file name goes as "Rope_V3.unitypackage".

14. x10z

x10z

I'm playing with Rope V2 , tell me something , is there a way to limit the rope length ? if you swing it hard for example , it will stretch, instead of keeping the same length , is there any way to avoid that ? Thanks

15. renman3000

renman3000

Page is down. I repeat. Page is down.

16. Asvari

Asvari

Hi

I really like your ropescript, it's awesome and, I think, exactly what I need. Just one question, I'm sure someone can answer this:

I need the rope to connect 2 objects and lengthen between them if they move away from each other. Someone asked for this here before, but I couldn't figure out what solution he found. So I tried with this version and later V4.0 Beta, but my rope is just jumping wildly in both versions. Can someone help?

17. reveriejake

reveriejake

Hey I am working on the script. I will be submitting it this week to the Asset store and it will be between $10-$25. So look for that soon if your interested.

This script will include the lengthening and shortening during run-time feature, the ability to climb the rope using Splines, an easier to use physics settings system so you wont have as many issues with the jumping problems, and a few more goodies.

As for what you can do now and for free, Rope2 which is on my downloads page has a section in the rope editor which is used for "Raising and Lowering" the rope. Its inside of one of the tabs at the lower part of the editor.

Jake

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  18. Comante

Comante

Very good! I have a little game that would appreciate a lot those features!

19. Asvari

Asvari

thank you, I tried but I didn't get a smooth result. but I don't need physics because my rope is always straight, so i used only line renderer, works perfectly ;)

I will keep your script in mind for other projects :)

20. reveriejake

reveriejake

Yeah the line renderer is your best bet if your only using straight lines!

Jake

21. Fantasy.Gamer

Fantasy.Gamer

22. reveriejake

reveriejake

The new rope script is available on the Asset Store.

Jake

23. chlagovich

chlagovich

Helo,
    When do you plan to release an elastic rope ? thanks

24. derkoi

derkoi

Hi,

Would this be able to simulate fishing line from a fishing rod?

25. Pavan-Shinde

Pavan-Shinde

26. reveriejake

reveriejake

Its no longer available for free due to the amount of support that is required now. But you can pick it up on the asset store. Search for "QuickRopes".

Sorry,
    Jake

27. derkoi

derkoi

Don't be sorry Jake, if it wasn't for people like yourself, some of us would still be googling "how to make a rope in Unity"

28. reveriejake

reveriejake

I still search "how to make a rope in Unity" hoping to find out how to program such a thing... I am disappointed a lot...

PS: Guys... Its been awhile since I have put out an update on Quickropes to fix some of the issues and add some of the new features but now that my 2D light system is done and updated I can focus again on the ropes. So hopefully some new progress will be made soon.

I have been stuck on trying to figure out how to make a Spline system that allows the rope to be edited in the editor but I think I finally have found the answer. But in order to achieve the solution I must develop a pretty robust IK system.

Hope it all works out ;)
    Jake

29. Claymore

Claymore

F***,the link is broken.

30. reveriejake

reveriejake

31. J_P_

J_P_

You should update the OP with new link/info :)

Would this work for a 2D elastic rubber band? (something falls onto it, stretches itself with the force of the object, then throws it back). This is for an iOS game

32. reveriejake

reveriejake

I dont think you would be able to make it work as a rubber band. As it is there is an issue with keeping the rope tight unfortunately :(

And thanks for the heads up on the OP. This thread is VERY old and most of the thread has been moved to a new thread HERE.

Jake