Search Unity

Rope Script V2 now availiable - 8/08/10

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by reveriejake, Nov 19, 2009.

?

Should I continue to support this script

1. Yes I need this script and appreciate your support!

94.4%
  2. I think its fine how it is!

3.2%
  3. I know enough about programming to fix it myself!

2.5%
  1. mattirwin

mattirwin

@jj55ee
    Hey Jake. I know you've been busy lately, but have you had a chance to look at the problem I mentioned on the last page? (Rope kinking at PointA, PointB connection point when moved). I'm still stuck trying to fix this problem.

Thanks.

2. CWM

CWM

Nice work!! Both the RopeScript and the climbing/swinging scripts are amazing! :)

3. ashish

ashish

hello sir Thomas Pasieka
    I want to know how to make the 2d rope....

4. reveriejake

reveriejake

To clarify I am not Thomas Pasieka, my name is Jake! :D

5. hiphish

hiphish

6. reveriejake

reveriejake

Yeah I feel the same way about selling mine.

I am sorry guys for not being here to support this project lately but to be honest I have been very busy with other unannounced projects and they have been requiring all of my resources to learn the new concepts behind multi-player games. I have also burnt myself out on the rope thing!

With all of that said though! I will more than likely take a look at the rope stuff sooner than later and get everything ironed out and released to the public. My scripts will NOT cost any money for you to use however I would like a donation from those who use the script in there super mega ultra big hit title.

http://reverieinteractive.com/quickropes

Thanks for everyone's patience and thanks to those who are providing me with some info and updates on there current projects and working with my script unsupported,
    Jake

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  7. CWM

CWM

Thanks again for the amazing tools. Jake, do you plan to post a demo or download of the "Drawing Application using the Rope Script" posted on Reverie Interactive? I am amazed by that 2D application of the RopeScript and didn't realize it was possible. Very cool! :)

8. GustavPicora

GustavPicora

Hello All..

Im new to unity, and Im trying to learn, in fact this rope post may help me tons.. thanks to the guy(s)who did it, this is what I want to do.

Place a pulley and pass the rope through it with 2 masses attached at the ends of the rope...

What should I do in order to achieve this?

I can ask my graphic guy to do for me the pulley object, then I guessI must joint it to my wall (a rigid object on my scene) and then...

Do I need to create the rope by code on Start function?

Any help will be much appreciate it as this is making me crazy...

Thanks a lot

Gustavo

9. GC_Cryss

GC_Cryss

One of the reasons I upgraded my project to Unity 3! Great script, though I seem to be having a few issues...

I'm using a flat 2D texture (Rope mode: Line), and I was hoping the rope would stay 2D, instead of warping. It's like it's folding over itself, like a cloth ribbon twisting in the wind.

If I left one of the points loose, the rope starts flopping all over the screen wildly. Is there a way to stop that? It's... odd.

And, I'm a bit confused as to how to "tighten" the rope. So that it's not so loose and wobbly/bouncy? Can I adjust the "give" the rope uses?

I'm using it for a slack thread for a puzzle game I'm creating, where a user moves the two ends to tie something together.

10. GustavPicora

GustavPicora

Hello all.. im trying to use this rope which seems great, but without success .. can somebody guide me please?

I need to attach to the ropes ends 2 masses and pass the rope over a pulley (a cylinder body so far) so it will act as a pulley system.

How can I make the rope segments smaller? so they will fit in my scene?

Also to joint the ends to the masses I guess I need to assign to the joint 1 my mass 1 and the to the last joint my second mass right?

Thx for the support.

Gustavo

11. GC_Cryss

GC_Cryss

I figured out what I needed, by learning some 3D Terminology. :p That was my fault. I'm a 2D artist trying to play in a 3D World.

Kay, thank you...

12. Axel-F

Axel-F

I just figured out this cool script - fits perfectly into my next game! Thanks a lot! But I have an understanding problem. I have two objects: a baloon and a small object - lets say a stone - that I want to connect to this baloon - and booth connected by the rope. So the baloon needs to "transport" this stone upwards. However, what I'm getting is my baloon flying upwards and the connected rope is getting longer and longer and the stone stays in its position. But the rope should stay the same length and pull the stone upwards as well. Mmhh, the objectMaxDistance value did not helped. So - what am I missing? Thanks a lot in advance! :)

Edit: In fact it is so that the rope is getting MUCH longer with every frame the baloon moves upwards. About double the distance baloon <> stone.

Oh, and I testet the performance on my old 1'st gen iPhone a minute before: absolutely perfect!! I tried 40 segments and a line renderer as rope. No slowdowns of any kind.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  13. reveriejake

reveriejake

Sounds not right to me... I wonder if the rope script is throwing any errors?

14. Axel-F

Axel-F

No, no errors. I'm quite sure that's not your scripts fault. Maybe I'm completely wrong in my thinking...or sort of.. :D

I attached a screen of the setup I want to achieve. As written I have a baloon and this baloon GameObject should transport a rock (e.g.) via your rope slowly upwards. Similar to a crane - I know your script is capable of this. The rock rotates and swings physical correct around the rope's connection point. The same for the baloon. So I attached to booth gameobjects a childobject and use these "helper gameobjects" as pointA and pointB for the rope script.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain. So in the end the rock that is moving slowly upwards, connected to the baloon, should swing physically correct and should rotate physically correct around the rope's connection point.

But I'm getting absolutely weird results. The baloon is moving as expected and the rope seems connected fine to it. But the rock stays in position and the rope is not simply stretching while the baloon is flying away - it is stretching by factor 2 or more and swinging like crazy. Maybe I do not need these 2 additional connection point gameobjects? I have no idea and I tried A LOT of variations in the last 6 hours.

If we can figure out a solution for this problem a donation is a done deal - this feature will be a great addition for my game. :D

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  15. GustavPicora

GustavPicora

J55ee:

Great script im starting to get familiarize with it,

Now most of the work Im doing is tweaking in the editor the properties, but I have failed again to achieve what I want. the final goal is to be able to use this rope in a pulley system, Will this be possible? or is a no no,

I attach a image of my scene to give a better understanding of what I have.

What is happening is that the ball that is connected to one end of the rope it just falls passing through the surface. Any ideas what I might be doing worng?

Right now I have a configuration of Point A : To be the top cilinder which is fixed, and point B is my sphere, max length 1.7, rope length its automatilcy calculated,
    Segments its set to 10, radius to 0.01, rope type is a mesh, and a capsule collider, the mass of the joints its 0.05, drag of 1 and ang drag to 0, and the mass of the mass is 10, drag 50 and Ang drag to 0.

but when I ran the simulation it doesn't move at all nothing. I change the joints to be affected by gravity and it moves weird.. here is an image...

Attached Files:

16. rbeverly

rbeverly

I'm pretty fond of your grapple concept script as a component of a current project. It's lighter to start out with than the ropes, which is what's needed sometimes. I'll post a video when I have a demo and some decent art to show it off. Thanks for sharing it!

17. wallen

wallen

cool,like it.
    how this script to do that,straighten the power line, then connect the power in game...

18. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Hi Jake,

I'm giving the latest version a try and just created a simple chain based on the example in the package and it's throwing a long string of errors (one for each link in the chain):

$RopeError.jpg

Any idea what's going on?

19. Sparty

Sparty

Hey Jake,
    Wonderful script. I can't thank you enough or it.
    Unfortunately, Im having one problem with it. Its possible its the same problem as "mattirwin" problem from page 12 of this thread. Basically, In game play, point B does not orient the same as other joints. This also goes for point A, but its unnoticeable because point A is usually set to fixed. I can post a pic if you need, but its pretty simple. Its oriented correctly until hitting play, then its orients in a weird position. So, any object that is attached to the end of the rope, rotates strangely.
    Thanks for your help,

-Eric

20. terex12

terex12

can tell me if there is a full version PROJECTS Bootcamp for a free download?
    if so, can give a link?
    Thank you for your attention

21. chaneya

chaneya

I was just wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

I can't get the RI Stuff menu to appear when I'm working in OSX on my mac. It shows up fine after importing the V3 package and rebooting Unity on PC.

22. chaneya

chaneya

I think I figured it out. It's in the GameObject menu. I just had to check out the code to see where the author put the Editor script.

23. reveriejake

reveriejake

Hey the RI Stuff menu is no longer used.

Also I started working on the rope script again last weekend so hopefully I can solve everyones issues soon.

Jake

24. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Would like to see what people have done with this fab script, has anyone got any webplayer demos up to look at?

25. reveriejake

reveriejake

Would it be easier for you guys to setup your prefabs with the colliders before the script handles them? That way your prefab would already have the collider and I could skip the whole step of adding colliders programatically which is what causes most of the issues (specifically when adding Capsule Colliders).

I will work more on it this week to try and automate that process but let me know your thoughts!

Jake

26. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I seemed to have fewer problems with the older versions of the rope script than I have with the most recent. For me, I'd like to be able to pick two game object transforms (one for each end of the rope) and then fill out an inspector's fields with the various settings. Not sure why I'm getting the long list of errors I posted several posts above, but it's preventing me from using the script at all.

27. reveriejake

reveriejake

Okay well what I was thinking was just a simple "Create Rope" on the menu, and when you click that it places a rope object in the scene that has 2 handles for each end of the rope. Maybe a wizard when you hit "Create Rope" that allows you to customize the object before it goes into the scene with a toggle that says "Custom Objects". When its true you can assign the ends of the rope to point a and point b.

I would REALLY like to get this thing cleaned up but I have been so busy the past few months that I havn't had much of a chance.

I will probably start talking to you more bigkahuna to have you help me as a alpha/beta tester again. That's the step I skipped in this last version and it seems to have effected the quality big time!

Thanks for everyone's patience
    Jake

28. Nick.B

Nick.B

Wow, great script Jake! Been reading through the whole thread and the time and effort you put into this is simply amazing. I have a small issue though, I can't think of a reasonable way to make the rope break at a certain joint on collision.

I'm working on a game project in which a character is able to throw a knife and when that knife hits a rope I want the rope to break in two. I wrote a very basic script that I planned on placing on each joint in the rope which checked if it got hit by a knife and in that case it would destroy the CharacterJoint. However, as the joints vanish when you play the game I have no idea how to actually solve this.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  29. soapstar

soapstar

Hey, first off this is a superb piece of script well done! I have been using this script for while now (version 3) and i am very impressed, however i seem to have to same issue as 'AlexIF' with his balloon problem! :) It seems when i add a force to one end of the rope it will continue to stretch and get longer and longer (both ends are not 'fixed') and stay as one length of rope. Is there a possibility of solving this issue or are we doing something wrong?!

Thanks for your time appreciate it :)

30. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Hey Jake,

I'm having serious issues with version 3.x of your script. The problem seems to be triggered whenever I try to use a box collider instead of a capsule. This throws an error, which wouldn't normally be a big problem except that the editor script runs continuously in the background, so the error repeats indefinitely until it crashes Unity. In it's latest form, your rope script is totally unusable for me because of this. Would it be possible to disable the continuously running portion of the editor script?

Thanks.

31. joel

joel

any plans for a version for 2D/2.5D games?

32. reveriejake

reveriejake

Sorry guys... Long time! Fixed version is WIP!

33. reveriejake

reveriejake

Here is an updated version of Rope2.... It should be the best one to use for now... Let me know if you have any problems with that one.. If you dont have any problems then I will add functionality to it sense it works the best ;)

Thanks guys!
    Jake

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  34. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Opened the new package in a new, empty project folder and got the following warnings:

Code (csharp):
    1. Assets/R4_061011_1/JointBreaker.cs(6,11): warning CS0414: The private field `JointBreaker.script' is assigned but its value is never used
    3. Assets/R4_061011_1/Editor/Rope2Inspector.cs(24,15): warning CS0219: The variable `rs' is assigned but its value is never used

35. reveriejake

reveriejake

Yeah I remember that being the case.. Good to see you again by the way ;).... I will get it fixed! I just thought this would be better than constantly hearing how bad the v3 was lol.

Jake

36. reveriejake

reveriejake

Also curious if you have ever got the error where your instantiating too many actors? This is the first time I have seen this and I am assuming that has got something to do with my garbage collection for the sample rope I make with the editor.

Jake

37. outtoplay

outtoplay

Jake this looks terrific! Anxious to check out the latest incarnation.

Based on the 'hi-tech' sketch I've included, do you think your script would work for this? Or might I be better, attempting it with a cloth physics sorta thing. I'd way rather use your set up as the results seem very promising and the system so flexible. The feel I'm going for is more like the swinging is caused by a random wind type force. Gentle, then die out, type of feel.

Thanks from the great extension.
    Brendan

38. reveriejake

reveriejake

That totally possible with this rope. I would just do like a random wind generator on the object that is attached to the free end of the rope. "AddForce" or whatever. In the "Joints" tab you will find ways to dampen the swing in the rope itself.

Jake

39. soapstar

soapstar

Hey very glad to see your working on this again! In the meantime i have been using v3 script. Is there any particular reason why in v2 you cant have a 'mesh' rope type as in v3, instead of a prefab or line?

Thanks

40. reveriejake

reveriejake

In V2 it wasn't working properly if I remember correctly. I will see about putting the mesh type back into V2 but I am not working on this full-time so it might be awhile.

41. outtoplay

outtoplay

Hey... appreciate the help, Jake!

Which is the current version of the cloth script. there seem to be 2 scripts. (see image). And the one called 'Cloth Rope r021811' doesn't seem to be anything.

thanks,
    B.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  42. outtoplay

outtoplay

Whoa... Got a question, Does this script and or Cloth physics work in IOS projects? What I am thinking is for an iPad project.

43. web76

web76

Have been using v3 quite some time now, but I also need some more functionality, like retracting and extending the rope, with chain links...

Great script!

Kjell A

44. web76

web76

Yes, it would have been nice to get the chance to set it up in the prefab object, OR if you included a custom mesh collider also, in the collider meny in the rope script..

Kjell A

45. web76

web76

Feature request, I would like to have the possibility to have even more points on the rope then A and B, custom points on the line, so we could spawn a rope with bends and turns...

Kjell A

46. reveriejake

reveriejake

@brendang I am not quite sure. I think it will work on the iPad/iPhone but I haven't tested it... I should put that on my list of things to do. I know its been requested before buy I hadn't had an iOS license until recently.As for the extra script, I didnt notice it but I re-released V2 pretty quickly. It was sort of a spur of the moment thing after getting my 100th or so email about how many issued V3 had ;).

@web76 V2 has those capabilities... Another reason why I went back in time... Check it out!

I will try to work on the script this weekend guys but like I have said a few times, I have been very busy so hopefully no one is getting upset from the lack of support!

Jake

PS: Sorry for the late replies... Unity forum doesnt email me for every post anymore, so if I dont check it the first time I get the email (I usually just read it in my email) then it wont email me on the next post!

47. zihyfw

zihyfw

How to make a spring rope?
    I changed the value of physic joint,but not works.

48. gregtom6

gregtom6

Hy!
    I have downloaded the rope, but I can't use that in my scene. How can I do that? (I use Unity only for a few days)

edit: Ok, I created a rope, I locked that to a cylinder. The problem is the cylinder is rotating, not fixed.
    How can I lock it's position?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  49. nickz

nickz

Hi, does anyone still have any type of documentation for the rope script? I am trying to make a hanging bridge in which it will fall apart if you shoot it. I remember seeing something similar in the author's previous site but it's not up anymore. I got the bridge set up but it doesn't break. Any help would be great.

Nick

50. kodagames

kodagames

Not sure if anyone can help but I was wondering if anyone knows how I would freeze or ignore Y rotation? I Have it attached to another object and for movement and want to restrict it from moving up and down.

If not no worries :)