Search Unity

Rope physics for wires in VR

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Wattosan, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Wattosan

Wattosan

Hi,

I would like to create an interaction where the players can connect wires in virtual reality (Oculus Quest to be precise).

I bought and tried Obi rope but that proved to drain too much fps (the number of ropes is around 6) even with a very low resolution setting. I searched around and discovered that a reasonable solution should be possible with Unity's own physics. I discovered this reddit showcase: https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/comments/8xn9ta/using_rope_physics_to_simulate_cabling_a_data/

Author of the post has written in the comments that he achieved it with configurable joints. I've tried playing around them with a bit but haven't managed to find a solution. Before I spend another day figuring out how could I achieve a similar result as in the thread above, perhaps someone could give me hints and tips or maybe even a solution on how to do it.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Wattosan

Wattosan

3. dpatkelley

dpatkelley

We have been having the same issue with the rope as well but as an extension cord. We started in URP and VR and then upgraded to HDRP and XR and seemed to work better but we lost functionality with obi rope, so we are in search of a new way to do a rope. We got the setup to do chain, we used character joint with some nasty limits on it but it just acts as chain but nothing else. We would like to use the chain to wrap around a wheel and rotate it but that is near to improbable. I myself am not smart when it comes to C# or C++,but none the less, help in the area of creating a loose wire or rope is much obliged.

4. tpaslou

tpaslou

So , did you find any serious solution for Rope in VR ?

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

VR is just rendering in stereo. What does rope have to do with it? Typically rope is handled by verlet/physics/other CPU task.

6. dpatkelley

dpatkelley

Nothing yet, We used OBI Rope but still have issues with low FPS