Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Root translation scale

Discussion in 'Animation' started by silentslack, Sep 6, 2013.

1. silentslack

silentslack

Hi,

I have a model made in Maya and imported into Unity. I take this model into MotionBuiler and apply some mocap data. I export to fbx and import into Unity. When I add and play the animation (legacy) on the model the hip translation seems to come across at a fraction of what it should be. If I drag and drop the animation .fbx directly into the scene the translation is fine. It's applying it to the original model is the problem. What is interesting is that when the model is brought from Maya to motion builder it comes in very small no matter what the .fbx scale factor is set to. I have to use the maya import as I'm making use of Adam Metchley's blend shape script.

Is there any way to scale up the animaiton translation?

Thanks, Jake

2. silentslack

silentslack

Sorry to bump this Unity community but I have been working on this problem for a few days and cannot find the solution. Any help from someone would be greatly appreciated.

3. silentslack

silentslack

Ok I finally figured this out. It is ultimately due to the difference in units between Maya and MotionBuilder. You have to add a Locator to the root of your model in Maya. When you bring this into MotionBuilder, scale up this root by 100. Bake your animation onto you character and export. When you import into Unity, Unity tries to be clever and will set your import scale to 0.01. Make sure this is set to 1 so you MotionBuilder model is 100 times bigger than your Maya model. The hip translation should now match up.

4. Archania

Archania

Glad you where able to get it to work. I personally don't use Maya and only know a little bit about Motionbuilder.
    But glad you got it and explained how you did it.