Search Unity

Bug Root motion with additive layers

Discussion in 'Animation' started by cgDoofus, Jun 16, 2021.

1. cgDoofus

cgDoofus

Repost, was previously posted in the wrong forum

Version: 2019.4.14 LTS

I've encountered a bug while trying to make a root motion controlled character with walking/running animations on base layer and turning, leaning while turning animations on an additive layer,
    it works, but it doesn't rotate the character's root, meaning it runs forward only and just keeps turning in place while running in the same direction
    I did another experiment by having the running animation in an additive layer and the default pose in base layer and the character would behave like root motion is disabled, running in place

also worth noting, my character has a dedicated root motion bone that i animate manually, its transforms don't change when it's in an additive layer

could this be a bug that got fixed in later versions? I found a few other threads with a similar problem but with no responses

Zefugi likes this.
  2. Zefugi

Zefugi

I think I'm fighting the same bug in https://forum.unity.com/threads/root-motion-from-additive-layer-not-applied.1129361/
    I can only detect root motion on the base layer, or on override layers, while additive layers are animated but not applied to root motion. The problem applies to both animators with Apply Root Motion checked, and scripts that implement OnAnimatorMove().

I've tested in:
    v2021.1.5f1
    v2020.3.12f1

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021