Search Unity

Root motion stuck

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Crouching-Tuna, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Crouching-Tuna

Crouching-Tuna

Hi guys, need help with importing animation to unity.
    This should be simple but i dont know why its not working.
    Problem: vertical animation is not importing no matter what.
    On both unity SS are either with root node: FootJ (this is the root skin joint), or None. The anim preview are taken in the frame where it's supposed to be "floating" (shown in maya SS), but it stays in root Y position 0.

What i dont seem to get is, specifying the root node in Rig import setting (to either FootJ, HipJ, HeadJ) seem to change the pivot (expected), but XZ translate is also locked.
    When root node is at FootJ, the option for rootMotion is available, and i've tried every combination there and none of them made any difference.
    But setting rootnode to the bottom control curve(the box) seemed to have effect, but in times when that control is given less influence, of course this'll be inaccurate. FootJ is the only best candidate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBxtDFdWBhw
    Im using this tutorial btw for the stretchy joints (modified a little to influence the translation instead of scale of the upper joints, but this shouldn't be relevant).

Order of the controls:
    Control curves parent constrains ->
    Influence joint skin binds ->
    Spline curve Ik handles ->
    Bind joints

The only part where this could be a problem is, my bind joints(FootJ onwards) are actually SKINNED to a bottom and top influence bone (following the tutorial). Could this be the reason FootJ not having any translation animation?
    Sorry for the long text.
    Im so sure its just a unity import setting or its a bug. I need to change how he skin binds the joints and see if it helps..

no root node.png footJ root node.png maya hierarchy.png
    Cheers!

Attached Files:

2. Crouching-Tuna

Crouching-Tuna

So at the essence, Unity doesn't import position animations of only the root skin joint , and whatever option i tried, with/without root node, doesn't bring it back.
    I guess if root node is set to the root joint, then this is expected.
    But setting it to none or the RootCTL transform (which stays in center, while the FootJ moves around) doesnt change anything.

maya position anim.png
    Here in Maya, the FootJ has translation, as a result of the BottomCTL being moved away from center

no position anim.png
    In Unity, FootJ position is not even included?