Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Root motion rotation not applied in blend tree

Discussion in 'Animation' started by AhrenM, Jul 2, 2017.

1. AhrenM

AhrenM

Hi all,

I was trying to build a 2d blend tree that incorporated both forward motion and left/right turning. For some reason the turns weren't getting applied to the rotation of the asset so it stayed facing in it's original forward direction.

In an effort to debug I paired the tree right back to a single turn animation and the root motion rotation still doesn't get applied. After the animation plays a loop the character resets to it's original y rotation.

The problem only occurs in (any) a blend tree. Playing the animations in normal motion fields yields the expected result which is a character turning and facing a new direction.

My repo with a 1d blend tree uses this set up:

RotationIssue.JPG

Even in the preview window I get the behaviour. If I preview the anim with the 'right_turn_90' selected, correct rotation is applied and avatar steps around in a circle. If I select the Blend Tree and it preview, the character repeats turning over the same 90 degree arc.

Is there anything special I need to do to have root motion rotation applied in a blend tree?

All the best.

A.