Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Root motion on Generic Rig without Avatar

Discussion in 'Animation Rigging' started by manuelnp, Nov 17, 2022.

1. manuelnp

manuelnp

Hi,

I think I don't really fully understand what I'm doing when I play with the import settings of and fbx model with rig and animations.

Let's state I have an fbx with a model plus armature and animations, some of which use root motion.

I moved away from Humanoid rig Animation Type because I'm using Blender+Rigify and the armature doesn't match Unity Avatar requirements (I'm aware of addons to fix this, but bear with me a little more)

Now using Generic rig Animation Type I'm presented with the choice of creating an Avatar Definition.

upload_2022-11-17_12-2-27.png

How is that? What an Avatar means here? I'm not matching any bone structure requirements. Let's use "No Avatar" and check the animations, specifically the one with root motion:

walk_no_root.gif

There is no root motion and there is gizmo at the (probably) center of mass of my model. If go back to the import settings and select Avatar Definition "Create From This Model" another option appears to select Root node:

upload_2022-11-17_12-4-3.png

And, unsurprisingly, the animation now has root movement, although the gizmo when down to the feet and a third litter one appeared (was it there before? what does it mean?):

walk_root.gif

Even more, If I go back to rig import settings and uncheck "Optimize Game Objects" the animation root movement still works but the gizmo goes back to the allegedly center of mass:

walk_root_gizmo.gif

I could go on blindly, but I'd like to understand what's happening here, not just make it work.

Regards.

2. Nanachi88

Nanachi88

You are lucky that the model has root motion. I am using a generic model and tried to replicate your options but still doesnt have root motion implemented :(