Search Unity

Root motion not work on Rig Generic Type

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Xhitman, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Xhitman

Xhitman

It works fine in Humanoid , but if i select Generic, the animation will move the root transform in scene even I pick off "Apply Root Motion"

Why?

avsaninwork8 likes this.
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Are you asking why (in generic rig) the root transform does move the character even if "apply root motion" is unchecked?

Did you choose a root node in the rig setup, or select "none"?

Have you selected bake into pose under Root Transform Position (XZ)?

3. Xhitman

Xhitman

i think i know why. the root node is none.

And now i find a new problem. If I use humanoid avatar, the animation in unity do not match the animation in 3ds Max. every bones shift few degree, like 30 something.
    If i use generic avatar, the animation match well. But root node is a problem, because 3ds max human CAT root privot do not match Unity axis system. Z axis is not forward. And i cannot preview the animation in unity inspector.

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

As far as I know - as long as the rig was created in the front viewport - this is not an issue. I'm positive it works on biped, not totally positive about CAT.
    You can save the skin file, save the CAT skeleton structure and animation data out and then recreate the CAT rig in the front viewport, reload the skeleton structure, reload the skin data then reload the animation files.

This is the fix for biped axis mismatch - I'm not 100% sure if it will fix CAT also.

5. Xhitman

Xhitman

I finally solve the problem after finding out there is actually 6 combination in the import animation: root motion apply on or off, baked in pose on or off, baked in pose at original or rooted node.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  6. StickmanST

StickmanST

Why does my console say this:

File 'Staff' avatar creation failed:
    Cannot find root motion transform 'Staff_RightHand_Attach'.

can someone help me please? im on windows 10 just so you don't get mixed up. thanks