Search Unity

Root Motion for Generic Rig not moving [Solved]

Discussion in 'Animation' started by KenjiJU, Nov 8, 2020.

1. KenjiJU

KenjiJU

Hello. I'm using Blender 2.82a and Unity 2020.1.6f.

I'm trying to get my 3d character with Generic Rig to move forward via root movement in an attack animation imported from Blender. I have another similar project using a humanoid rig where Root Motion appears to work, so I'm a bit confused on why this isn't for Generic.

I've tried multiple permutations and read as many bits and pieces I could find on the subject, so I believe I have a decent understanding on what bells and whistles need to be checked, but I'm not able to get a result.

Kind of a checklist of what's going on:
    - animation in Blender moves root node forward
    - imported animation shows grid is moving as if it's ready to be used for root motion
    - apply root motion is checked on character
    -Rig Tab: Root Node is set to either my <Rig> or <Root>
    - Animation Tab: Motion either set to <Root Transform>, <Rig>, <Hips> or <Root> -- I've tried many permutations to no avail
    - I've tried duplicating the animation inside unity to allow editing and manually keyed the movement in unity and subsequently adjusted root settings on that specific animation

upload_2020-11-7_21-42-10.png
    The above settings only appear if I set 'Motion' to <None>. Is this correct for a Generic Rig?

Thanks.

Edit: It turned out I didn't mask enough of my layers inside of the animator and they were overriding the positions of the root motion. Wasted a lot of time troubleshooting this, but at least I feel pretty confident I can get this working on anything now.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    bearcoree likes this.