Search Unity

rOOM2 - Testing out some Unity Pro features

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by JAMiller, Nov 4, 2009.

1. JAMiller

JAMiller

I've been an Indie owner for a little while so its great to have a Pro Trial again!

Play it: http://game.distortions.com/room2.html

Here's the start of a quick test of some of the Unity Pro features I threw together in just over a day. So far its testing:

* Quick painted texture, everything has normal maps but they are probably too high res (you can go up close to the walls and shine at an angle to see how high res!).
    * Shadows from the flashlight
    * The whole environment has has a low resolution lightmap (an overblown one, albeit).
    * You can pick up the weird cube thing.
    * Refraction material on the visqueen plastic stuff
    * Image effect glow shader (Bloom), lightly used
    * Particles everywhere.

Only does about 74 draw calls with all the particles out. Anyways I'm going to add some more detail and objects next time I get some free time!

Also I wanted to ask someone else who plays it, does it lock the cursor properly for you? For me it hides the cursor, but when I click the cursor clicks on the other windows taking focus away from the game. I'm using:

Screen.lockCursor = true;

Is it Windows 7? I found another post where a Windows 7 user had the same problem. Any ideas?

Edit: Oh yeah, maybe it's just my video card, but when I add that new SSAOEffect things get REAL slow REAL fast (but oddly the FPS reading still reads 200+ fps, it just feels laggy) :cry:

Edit2: I changed the cube thing to a particle ball or something, and added shadows to it. It caused the draw count to go up to 120, but its worth it to see shadows when you throw it around the room. As a side note I need to figure out how to sort the particles, right now they pop in front and behind each other as certain angles.

2. Thomas GD

Thomas GD

Woa nice, keep doing this good work :)

3. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

That is really really nice! Great Job.

Regards,
    Matt.

4. stefmen

stefmen

Good work man!
    to bad about the texture stretching when your going upstairs

5. Thomas GD

Thomas GD

How do you make it so cartoony?!

6. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Nice test project.
    No, same thing happens here and I'm running Firefox on a Mac.

7. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

cool test project, unity pro rules, too bad its far way too expensive for me to afford it even with the discount :(

ps. no, it doesnt lock the cursors properly on my side either, using win7 and firefox

8. defmech

defmech

What function are you using lockcursor in? It's not locking for me in Win 7 and Firefox as well. Have you also tried Screen.showCursor = false?

9. JAMiller

JAMiller

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah I've tried using them both. ShowCursor = false does hide the cursor while it's over the game window, but only in the editor! And it still has the same problem of not locking it. I have Screen.lockCursor = true; in void Start() function on my camera's MouseLook C# script. I've also tried it in Awake().

I have this same problem in a different game, as well. I know its possible to lock the cursor in Windows 7 because I've played a few games that do it on my system.. Hmm..

10. defmech

defmech

Try putting it in update() and see if that changes anything.

11. gpaulin

gpaulin

Nice atmosphere! :)

Question! When I reload (CMD+R) your demo (using Safari, OS X) it seems to load from cache. Your build is 4.7 MB in size, I have one stripped to 3.5 MB but mine is getting reloaded every single time. :( Where's the magic (besides one under the wooden floor, glowing blue :twisted: ) - is that a 2.6 feature or it has to do something with setup of your web server...?

12. JAMiller

JAMiller

Dang, I rushed into Unity as fast as I could to try this - but it made no difference when using it in Update() :( I'm going to upload it though and go try on a non-Win7 machine.

Edit: Hey, cool! Thanks, putting it in Update() at least worked on a Windows XP 64-bit machine. I'll report a bug...

Hmm, I wish I could help but ironically enough you asked someone who is having the opposite problem! In Firefox, on Windows, my game caches even when I upload a new one I don't see changes unless I explicitly push refresh. Even after a reboot my browser always pulls up the outdated cached version :(, unless I manually refresh after uploading it.

My workaround for that is rename the .unity file every time I update it.

I wouldn't think it would be a web server thing, I'm thinking it should be on the browser side or Unity engine.

13. defmech

defmech

If you could upload or send me a copy of the project(maybe stripped down if you're concerned with your work getting out), I could take a look at it for you when I get to work tomorrow. I've gotten the cursor hidden/locked and unlocked at various points in the game I'm working on. I could see how you're trying to do it compared to how I've got it working and see if there's something strange going on. FWIW, I got it working fine for me across web/vista/win7/osx.

14. gpaulin

gpaulin

Tnx, I'll try to compile with 2.6 and see if that helps.

15. twitchfactor

twitchfactor

I'm not sure if it's intentional, but the texture style and large amount (Oblivion-amount) of bloom helps.

16. JAMiller

JAMiller

Thanks for the offer! Sorry I took so long to get back. Strangely enough it seems to work now! It was the combination of one of the things I tried a few days ago, and me realizing that it works if I click the mouse while it's is inside the window area (which is hard to do since I'm hiding it on startup). So - I just need to lead the player to click on the window (like a "click here to start") before I hide and lock the cursor to solve it.

Anyway hopefully I'll get some time to update this before my pro trial runs out!

17. sereda008

sereda008

Yes, the cursor is properly locked.

18. Sollthar

Sollthar

Looks very neat! Good job there. And the cursor locks fine here as well.

19. Mauri

Mauri

Nice atmos, cool effects. This test is great! Cursor locked also fine :)

20. welby

welby

FireFox 3.6.18 working for me,.

I get stuck whenever I try to walk on the second level.
    The box slows me down when moving forward while holding it(colliding), if I run backwards it's fine.

When I move mouse to other windows, it does whip around,..but it corrects itself when I go back.

Can you be more specific about what in here is UnityPro for your next post?
    I see shadows, and refraction.

:p

good job!

21. vreference

vreference

Probably worth noting that the post is from 2009

22. sereda008

sereda008

Well, there does not seem much to write about here.

23. awdas

awdas

realy good

post this project for newest user :)