Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Rome: Truly AAA Quality Exterior Enviroment Pack for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by QuantumTheory, Mar 1, 2016.

1. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

Thanks man.
    This pack is one of the most beautiful on the store. I am hoping to tweak it to use for sandstone building look.

2. Teila

Teila

@QuantumTheory Did you ever start your Patreon group? I didn't see it on your website. Also, will there be a Rome Part 2? :)

3. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I did start on RFP2 it but I needed to take a break from 3d for a little while so I don't get burnt out. The Patreon is still planned, but that too has not begun yet ;)

Teila likes this.
  4. Loishtc

Loishtc

Hello Quantum Theory.
    First i must say that i love your work, RFP its an awesome piece of AAA videogame art with a demoscene that is a masterclass by itself.
    I was working with your RFP and Probuilder to achieve nice interiors, I am trying to replicate a domus style building but im getting in trouble with the roofing, there is no roof corners and i am not very able to do it nicely by myself. ¿Could you add this kind of items in a future update or maybe i must improve my 3d editing skills?
    BTW i saw a bunch of assets, first pages of the thread, that the pack dont include. ¿Is there plans to put that assets in the RFP 2?

Edit: This is my roof corner right now.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  5. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Ah yes. Domus. Those are planned for the next pack. Your roof corner piece isn't bad. That's pretty much how I'd do it, but I'll update the pack with a set of corner pieces.

The assets on the first page are planned for the next pack. It will have more ornate details.

pictoo, Teila and Loishtc like this.
  6. Loishtc

Loishtc

Cant wait for the next pack, ill make some suggestions:

- Roof Corners
    - A material for the upper outside floors that match with the PlasterRed material, and a PlasterRed material version that look like not worn, fresh painted.
    - Ornate columns, doric, ionic and corinthian orders please (i saw ones in the asset store, but they are very hipoly and I dont want to decimate, bake maps, etc...)
    - More mosaic patterns, they ones provided in the RFP1 are awesome, i want to see some interior wall decoration to represent the luxury in the houses of the richest members of the city.
    -mmmmmm gardening tools? cloth banners (without logos)? more marble?

PD: Love your work.

pictoo and Teila like this.
  7. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Sorry I haven't been too responsive as of late. Rest assured I am working on the corner pieces and will be updating the pack this week with it and some bug fixes, then resuming work on Pack 2!

JamesArndt, pictoo, Loishtc and 2 others like this.
  8. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Ok it's live! This version just has the bunch of new roof configurations in the Prefab/roof folder. While the names are a bit confusing, once you drag and drop them in and use them you'll see how they're used.

They're all tagged properly and have LODs.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/67790

9. Teila

Teila

Thank you!!!

10. Loishtc

Loishtc

Love you too much :D :D :D

11. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Starting back up again with RFP2! Today was about getting reacquainted with the models I had done earlier, fixing some pivots, and testing object compositions to make sure things get placed right.

SteveB, l0cke, pictoo and 5 others like this.
  12. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Hey look! An interior!

Today was about getting all the interior walls, ceilings, and arches all setup with their pivots. In this shot you can see the roof options available. The arches, trim above the arches (frieze), and cornice pieces are all seperate and modular so you can make your own interior ceiling arrangement. Those dark pieces are the roofs from Rome Fantasy Pack I.

The focus of RFP2 is the higher class, Roman nobility. Expect some really nice detail, ornate decor, and even fresco walls.

SteveB, pictoo, l0cke and 3 others like this.
  13. Teila

Teila

Gorgeous!! Reminds me of our visit to Italy. Very beautiful. I can't wait to see your materials on those models. :)

14. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

As a side note, I did a little research on the Colosseum. Massive structure. While there are repeatable elements in it, it actually presents a technical challenge on how to model the repeated elements while still maintaining the elliptical shape of it all. I'd love to recreate it but perhaps for another pack. I don't think I can do it for RFP2. Maybe as a background element.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  15. hopeful

hopeful

But we will have the Pantheon and Hagia Sophia, right? ;)

16. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Very nice work man, keep it up! It takes a lot of determination to spend time on that! <3

17. l0cke

l0cke

Maybe It could be just round instead of eliptical. It would be far easier to create. Also there were some round colosseums, so no historical problem.

TheSeawolf and hopeful like this.
  18. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Great point. I want to include some "ultra-low" LODs for this pack which are just low poly bakes of prefab buildings. I may do this for something like the Colosseum too.

Teila likes this.
  19. l0cke

l0cke

Great idea, you will save people lots of work. Usually we are doing ultra-low poly (to 500 poly) one material (atlased) LODs for 300+meter distance by ourselves.

20. Teila

Teila

Bet you could do it with Archimatix! :) Actually, if you were to model the elements, and sell those as a pack, I could make it in Archimatix. :) Just give us the parts that repeat and any singular parts, and it would not be very difficult at all. Interior might be the most challenging.

21. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Did some furniture that past two days. More to come!

SteveB, pictoo, Loishtc and 1 other person like this.
  22. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

You can see this same thing in some of the Naughty Dog talks for The Last of Us. Whomever said great normal maps can only come from high resolution sculpts is VERY wrong. In fact our industry is moving towards more procedural methods for normal map creation, sculpting just ends up being very time consuming and is lost money and efficiency. Hopefully some day doing UVs will be some ancient history as well.

Mister-D, QuantumTheory and Teila like this.
  23. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

One more chair for today.

Right tool for the right job has always been my mantra. For environment artists, I generally agree. I prefer the precision of high poly modeling, but sometimes you need something organic or patterned. That's where Zbrush comes in. Otherwise, it's Modeling->XNormal->Substance Designer/Painter->Done.

pictoo, JamesArndt and Teila like this.
  24. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Large Drawer, Reclining couch, and another small table for today.

SteveB and pictoo like this.
  25. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Some oil lamps today. This is the smoothed, low poly-but-pre-sculpted version. I plan on adding nice little details and ornament. Something like this:

I like all the fleur and the darkened crevices. Gonna be hawt.

pictoo, Teila, TonyLi and 1 other person like this.
  26. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Hope you guys don't mind, but I'm biasing the polycount a little upwards on the props for interiors. Portalizing and occlusion culling will more than make up for any cost some extra verts would take. For example, I tried the old school approach of alpha cards for chain links, but it sucked and I can't have that ;) I'm really enjoying this pack so far and can't wait to start with materials.

SteveB, pictoo, hopeful and 1 other person like this.
  27. Teila

Teila

How about LOD's? That would be wonderful. I can make them myself from your stuff but I imagine you do it better.

28. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Sure. If something is just too much I will certainly do LODs.

Teila likes this.
  29. l0cke

l0cke

Absolutelly OK, we are using same approach, so for interior objects polycount is MUCH MUCH higher, because it is very easy to oclude and visibility distance is usually very short. We are also using mesh chains instead of alfa cards, it is 2017 and GPUs can eat 3+ millions poly in frustum like piece of cake. So for example 30k poly per object is OK. Can be even 100k in LOD0, no problem, thats what LODs are good for.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    hopeful likes this.
  30. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Oh well I'm not going that high. I'm letting the normal do the work. After playing with RFP1 in VR, I'm more liberal with segments for roundness.

Anyways..

I'm creating some more dinnerware: cups, caraffes, plates..

Normal mapped firebowl. You put your charcoal in the bowl up top and light! The only problem is a good fire effect. I don't particularly feel like dropping hundreds of dollars on FumeFX. Does anyone know where I can find some good 3DSMax fire effect recipes? Interiors need fire and candle light.

Also I'm heading out on vacation until Monday, so no more updates until then!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    pictoo and hopeful like this.
  31. l0cke

l0cke

Polygons are smaller problem than heavy shaders (parallax). Sometimes is even cheaper to have high poly model, than paralax shader. But as i told, it is no problem to have 30k polygons for small decorative objects in LOD0, because you can prepare LOD1 with 3k and switch several meters away. Also good optimization is to have low poly shadow caster (high poly object does not cast shadow, you have special low poly surface just for shadow casting - we usually copy LOD3 for this and give special invisible material). With this optimization you can significatly inceare polygon budget.

32. Teila

Teila

Please let us know the polys per object when the pack is released. I really do have to budget since we are doing a multiplayer game. I love your stuff and will buy it if I can, but if a lamp is even 5000 polys, that is way to much for me for a small item. I can make my own LOD's, as I said, but it probably isn't worth it for a bunch of little things.

I totally understand if you want to make this pack for people doing single player games and targeting those with great graphics cards, but our game is targeting people who are not avid action gamers. :) Just want all the information before I purchase. Thanks!

Maybe you would consider separating the architecture from the props? I can go higher on those.

33. hopeful

hopeful

I'm never for adding polys where they aren't needed, but on the other hand, sometimes it pays to put the polys in at the start. Plugins like SimpleLOD can cut polys if you really need to, but nothing adds polys.

As for the overall poly budget, if you have your high poly stuff indoors, it will never impact your outdoors scenes, and your outdoor objects won't impact your indoor ones either, if you're using OC. Which everyone ought to be using in any complex 3D game. Heck, you can use additive scenes if the indoors area is too full of lovely high poly loot. ;)

@Teila, is there a situation with your game that OC and additive scenes can't fix? I can't think of one, but if it's there, I'd hate to fall into that hole myself. ;)

34. Teila

Teila

No, but just nervous about really high poly little stuff causing the more important big stuff not to work as well. As long as I can make an informed decision about the polys of stuff, I am fine. But just don't want a lot of 10k assets for props that I need to toss after spending lots of money. lol

The first pack was fine as I was able to use LOD's for the tiled roofs so lower the polys to something respectable and still look amazing. Since we are not making an action game, no one will be walking on the roofs so for us, the high poly tiles were not necessary. I am all for nice looking stuff, but a lot of it can be illusion as well.

But as I said, just want to know before I buy. :) Then I can weight the cons and pros and how much in the pack I can use and how much I can't use. I am not asking him to abandon all the high poly stuff for you guys.

35. Loishtc

Loishtc

Looks great, the problem with alphas reminded me a game art tricks from Simon Schreibt,may you take a look? Its free and amazing. (i dont own anything of the website, i linked it like a interesting resource to learn from)

https://simonschreibt.de/gat/alpha1-top5/

36. l0cke

l0cke

Just one practical experience. We are doing final optimizations after scene is built (grouping objects, atlasing, group lods, etc...). Framerate was OK, but we found, there is some group of objects with several millions of polygons. We did some optimization and polygon reduction to cca 1/100 of original. Impact on framerate? Very low. And for performance testing we are always using 4-5 years old HW, to force us to be really effective in optimizations. Point is that number of polygons on static meshes (not skinned) with simple pbr shader is no problem. The biggest eater of performace is always vegetation, cities/interiors with millions of poly are piece of cake. You can easily have 2-3m polys in frustum. Btw, using low poly shadow casters allowed us to have cca 2x bigger numbers of polys in the scene without any impact on visual quality. I really dont understand these "too much poly" discussions. This is Unity community speciality, I havent seen that on other engines forum, even for packs with 10x bigger polycount, than anything available on Unity market place.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  37. smada-luap

smada-luap

The lower the polycount, the older the hardware you can support. There are still people out there with machines that don't have a lot of graphics card memory (like me) and why use 30 polys when 3 will do?

38. l0cke

l0cke

300 or 3 is no difference for any PC GPU. And supporting 15 year old crappy HW is way to hell.

39. Whippets

Whippets

300 or 3 mounts up when multiplied across all visible objects in a scene. I think @smada-luap was only looking at 14.5 year old HW.

40. smada-luap

smada-luap

If that's the case then why do we develop faster and faster GPUs? By your logic 3,000,000 is no different to 3,000 and we should all be able to run games at infinite quality.

Not everyone can afford to be on the cutting edge of technology. My PC is around 6 years old now yet still manages to perform quite well.

41. l0cke

l0cke

As I told before, our performance platform is 5 year old PC and it manages scenes with several million polygons in frustum without any problem. So speaking about 30 vs 3 polygon is silly. It is waste of time to do such optimization, better to focuse effort on actual game.

42. smada-luap

smada-luap

Why is it a waste of time? If by going through such an optimisation it means there are less calculations to be done both on the cpu before it passes the data over to the cpu to process and render then it could give you extra time to improve other cpu intensive tasks such as AI etc

As for my machine - it's around 6yo but even then it was only a mid-range spec pc so ij reality I'm using technologies from the back end of the 2000s

43. l0cke

l0cke

Actually sentence 300 is no difference to 3 does not imply, that 3m is no difference to 3k. Logic works in different way.

44. smada-luap

smada-luap

Logic only works one way. It's the interpretation of the results that causes problems. 300 is certainly different to 3 for GPUs - the former means it's got 100x more polys to deal with, so by your logic there's no difference between 3 million and 3 thousand.

Anyway, this is getting well off topic for QT's topic.

As for what QT is doing - objects with "hero" level amounts of polys are nice, but please consider doing LODs if the poly count goes well into the 1000s for 'relatively simple' objects/shapes.

Teila and Whippets like this.
  45. Whippets

Whippets

LOD levels are very important, would be a huge benefit.

Teila likes this.
  46. l0cke

l0cke

Actually polycount is pure GPU thing, it does not affect CPU. One million poly model will have same CPU impact as its optimized 10 poly version (I assume same number of materials, surfaces and shaders).

"300 is no difference to 3" Let me explain this. For GPU si really almost no difference if it renders 300 or 3 poly object, because rendering time is marginal with "preparion" overhead. Sure, 300 will take little bit more time, but difference is almost non existent. In case of 3 poly object it will spend 99 percent time of "preparation" and 1 percent of rendering. In case of 300 poly 98 percent preparation and 2 percent rendering. In sum it will be something like 0,01 ms vs 0,0102ms. I ve made these numbers absolutely from my head just to give exeample, where is overhead. Real difference starts with higher nember of polygons. In case of 50k poly objects 5% is preparation and 95% is rendering. Where is the border where polycount starts to make difference? Border is cca 400-700 polygons. Everything bellow is really no difference at all for GPU (basic shaders) and CPU overhead does not depends on number of polygons. Sure, If i have 300k of 30 poly objects, it will be slower than 300k of 3 poly objects, but difference will be not that big as you expect. Again because of various overheads in rendering pipeline (caused mainly by huge number of objects).

So it makes much more sense to invest time into actual game, than into preparation of "too good" lods. Always remember 80/20 rule. When you start to pay people for such work, you will understand...

Btw, number of polygons is not the only optimization and i strongly recommend to learn more about various approaches how to optimize.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  47. Teila

Teila

You know, all you are doing, guy who I am ignoring but check on just to see what you would say, is making people read this and skipping over this amazing asset because they see a case where the poly count is being ignored, not by Quantum, but by people encouraging high polys without really thinking this through.

As for CPU vs GPU, many people do not have fancy graphics cards. Many people are using laptops. Unless you are developing an action game where you are targeting serious gamers, extremely high polys are not good. Of course, there are those who want high poly above all and that is fine. Maybe assets like this are for those types of people.

Regardless, this is one of my favorite asset developers and I will follow. If I can use the stuff, I will buy it, if not, I won't. That is the only reason I started the conversation, in hope that LOD's would be provided to expand the type of game that can be created. If the decision is not to do that, by the asset developer, not by the guy who I am ignoring, then that is fine. :) He knows what he is doing.

Sorry I even posted anything.

48. Mister-D

Mister-D

i have turbulence fd for cinema 4d i can make u some particles if u want, send me pm if your interested.
    great work btw ;)

hopeful likes this.
  49. Mister-D

Mister-D

heres some particlesheets i made a while back with the plugin

Attached Files:

Loishtc and smada-luap like this.
  50. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I'm about to update RFP1 with some fixes. Mainly adding proper lightmap UVs to most geometry. Also, the elevated wooden walkways will now be symmetrical so they will align with each other with any rotation. I'll let you know when it's live. This is all in preparation for the mobile version.

Gametyme and Teila like this.