Search Unity

Rome: Truly AAA Quality Exterior Enviroment Pack for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by QuantumTheory, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Teila

Teila

Trim was pink but I added a material so they are fine now.

I still find the trim hard to use but will take it into Maya and fix it for myself.

2. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I have tons of trim meshes, you'll have to be more specific. Is it one of the meshes in the meshes folder? On a prebuilt prefab?

3. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

SEGI would be interesting to try out, but the build is just Unity's dynamic GI. The level 6 choice was something I was just experimenting with. There isn't much difference at all.

chingwa likes this.
  4. Teila

Teila

I haven't even put in the image effects yet and it all looks fabulous with normal directional lighting. I can't say that with a lot of model packs. Usually, until I turn on the image effects, they look sad. :)

Not only is this a great pack, but I am learning a lot just from playing with it. You should make another Udemy class on how to make advanced materials. :) I would sign up for it immediately!

hopeful and TeagansDad like this.
  5. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

As a matter of face I was going to start a patreon as, I think, it would give me more control. Udemy is a bit underhanded with things, but meh. Topics would include Substance Designer, Painter, modeling, materials, HDR lighting, post, art direction and composition..

One other thing: I was constructing the demo scene, I became keenly aware of how important reflection probes are to level art in Unity. I can't overstate their importance and I think a tutorial might be warranted. For example, every interior niche needs a reflection probe for the "lighting" to be dark once baked.

Also, over the years of messing with Unity, I developed my own little editorwindow scripts to speed up the process of lighting. I may publish them on my website soon as I think people would really enjoy them. One environment editor script essentially wraps all lighting parameters (sky, directional light, GI, etc) into one small window.
    Fantasy Pack I is focused on the middle to lower-class lifestyle in the grand city. Multi-floor dilapidated architecture, archways, brick and stone, iron and mud.

AdamGoodrich, SteveB, one_one and 2 others like this.
  6. smada-luap

smada-luap

The more I look at this, the more I'm tempted to get it. I just don't have the $100 or so (equivalent cost after taxes in UK and conversion between Euro and USD for what I have in my paypal account) at the moment.

One day I suppose.... :)

7. l0cke

l0cke

Unity has huge community, hundreds of thousands of people, thousands of asset creators. During last 5 years I found 2, who were able to produce something professional. You are the third and so far you produced the best kit ever in Unity asset store.

When we can expect upper class kit?

Btw, Unreal asset store has 100x less content, but quality is in average MUCH higher. It says a lot.

TheSeawolf and hopeful like this.
  8. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

@l0cke Wow man, thanks! The time spent planning, executing, and of course worrying, is all worthwhile when you hear things like that.

The "Domus?" Hmmm... Ideally I'd like to get an update or two in for FP1 and then finish up. There is some crossover between the packs. Some of the flooring materials, the roof.. I may need to reorganize some of the mesh locations. I tried to do a little bit of that prior to release and Unity just did NOT allow that.

Regarding both packs, please let me know what else you'd like to see. I know the roman baths, colosseum, and others were mentioned earlier in the thread. It's all possible, but I'll need the financial support of course. This is the primary reason why I decided to split the packs. Earn on one to support the development of the other. *crosses fingers*

On the plus side, given the screenshots on the first page, much of the detail work is setup. I need to execute a visual design of the Domus structures, the grounds, foliage, etc.. So to answer your question: I don't know :)

Teila likes this.
  9. l0cke

l0cke

10. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Absolutely. When someone says, "Rome," that's the image we often see in our mind. Mine as well. That's a great key image for the upper-class pack.

But, it's noteworthy that architecture wasn't as common as the Insulae and Domus styles. Rome had more architecture like this too. I will likely include both styles in the next pack.

And thanks to those that have added their ratings and reviews to the store!

JamesArndt and Teila like this.
  11. l0cke

l0cke

Great, we need to make whole city, so we use everything.

12. Teila

Teila

Well, no monthly payment for me, unfortunately. Good luck. I would pay a single price for each tutorial, like your other tutorials on your website, but unless I plan to use it every month, I am not going to sign up for yet another monthly cost. I have too many of those already. I really like to pay as I go. I am not cheap...and would be happy to pay a decent price. I just know I won't use it every month. :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    TheSeawolf and TeagansDad like this.
  13. Teila

Teila

I would happily buy more but creating a medieval Italian-style city instead of ancient Rome. :( Wish I was though, the pictures are gorgeous.

14. DGordon

DGordon

Will this work with the Uber shaders, or do you require your own custom shaders for texture blending, etc?

15. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

The textures I author are based on what is required for the standard shader (red channel = metallic, green = AO, alpha = smoothness). The only exception is that I use the blue channel for height. Uber shaders, looking through the documentation, will work just fine unless you want to use parallax. In that case, you may need to switch some channels in the _Mat textures.

16. hopeful

hopeful

@QuantumTheory - Ah, there you go! ROME is featured on the front page scroller and in #newonthestore. :)

17. one_one

one_one

Teila likes this.
  18. Teila

Teila

Changed my mind. I would subscribe to your Patreon. :) More I play with this stuff, the happier I am.

TeagansDad and hopeful like this.
  19. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Truly amazing and inspiring, this is going straight to the top of my wishlist to get at the end of the month. I really hope you continue to work on this and other related packs, because as a few others have said, I'll be investing in them

Teila, hopeful and TeagansDad like this.
  20. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Thanks Teila! Is there anything in particular that made you change your mind?

Thanks SeaWolf! Yes, I plan on putting out updates to this pack as well as sequels as long as I can financially support the efforts. With fans like yourself I'm sure I'll be ok. Be sure to check out my blog at http://www.qt-ent.com for more packs, but also some cool artwork and workflow tips.

TeagansDad likes this.
  21. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Did You Know? ...

RFP1 also comes with a Mesh Combine editorscript. For those who are making their own buildings, you can easily reduce the drawcalls of the building by using this script. It will also generate lightmap uvs!

Goto Window->Quantum Theory->Combine Meshes. Then select the meshes you want to combine and hit "combine selected." It becomes a gameobject with the least amount of meshes possible. You can then just store that away as a custom building prefab!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  22. Teila

Teila

Yep, I want the rest of my game models to be of a similar quality. I can only do that by learning. I tend to customize models I buy so that they are unique to our game. I have some great models from great developers, but I want the quality of the materials to match. :)

I am confident of my modeling skills but need some work with materials. So looking forward to more tutorials.

Edit: That doesn't mean I would buy other packs from you. :) Anything that saves me time helps. I am looking forward to the Roman Baths! A visit to Ephesus and the ruins of it's bathhouse really intrigued me. Can't wait to see your model.

23. Teila

Teila

Wow!!!

I am making tons of buildings, both in Unity and in Maya (creating new parts), so looking forward to trying this. Much better than installing another asset.

TheSeawolf likes this.
  24. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

@QuantumTheory , thanks I have checked the great blog and have a question regarding the Fantasy Pack 1 Overview video.

At about 0:45 secs you show the Quantum Theory shader, is that included in the pack? And also you showed @PHeimes , Vertex Painting at 0.57 secs, is that the Vertex Tools Pro in the asset store, or it included in the pack?

25. hopeful

hopeful

The shaders and Vertex Paint are in the kit (as is the mesh combiner). You can see them in the packing list.

Scripts
    QT_LightFlicker.cs
    QT_MeshCombineUtility.cs
    Shaders
    QT_FoliageSimple.shader
    Rome_Cloth.shader
    Rome_ParallaxMapping.shader
    Rome_ParallaxMappingDetail.shader
    Rome_Puddle Decal.shader
    Rome_Puddle.shader
    Rome_Wetness Blend.shader
    Rome_Wetness Decal.shader
    Rome_Wetness.shader
    VertexPaint-master
    Editor
    ColorSwatches.cs
    RxLookingGlass.cs
    VertexPainterWindow.cs
    VertexPainterWindow_AO.cs
    VertexPainterWindow_BakePivot.cs
    VertexPainterWindow_BakeTexture.cs
    VertexPainterWindow_GUI.cs
    VertexPainterWindow_Painting.cs
    Examples.unitypackage
    LICENSE.txt
    ReadMe.txt
    VertexInstanceStream.cs
    VertexPainterPro_Preview.shader

TeagansDad and TheSeawolf like this.
  26. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

@hopeful , thanks for replying so quickly. Thanks for clarifying that, now that you have put that in context, I understand more about "features" inlcuded in packages. cheers.

27. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Does anyone know if those node-based visual scripting tools (playmaker, plygame, etc) in the store does editor scripting? I can conjure up better ways of making modular building construction much easier through a simple interface instead of the copy/pasting that's happening now.

28. TonyLi

TonyLi

Sorry, none that I'm aware of. I'm familiar with PlayMaker, plyGame, uScript, GameFlow, Makinom, and ICode. Unless I've missed something, they're all designed for runtime execution. (uScript is a little different, but I don't think it does any editor scripting.) You might need to partner up with a programmer.

29. red2blue

red2blue

You can try Nottorus. As far as I know ois it creating plain C# code and should also do editor scripts.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/released-nottorus-unlimited-visual-programming-plugin.395750

But it is quite pricy $250

Hope that helps!

30. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

red2blue likes this.
  31. SteveB

SteveB

My 2 cents but Nottorus is very impressive. You can tell @Stridemann clearly knows his S***.

Equally there's the less expensive FlowCanvas, and @nuverian too is quite on top of things there. Very responsive and updates constantly.

:)

32. red2blue

red2blue

But FlowCanvas has no Editor scripting functionality, which is important for Quantum.

33. SteveB

SteveB

Oh I see, he meant specifically coding for the Editor. I could've sworn something like that already exists hmmm...

34. red2blue

red2blue

Yes, FC looks very good, and I will take a closer look at it soon, but as the creater mentioned by himself:

35. l0cke

l0cke

I think much better would be investing time into creating of more content. Procedural tools are nice, but nothing we cant live without. For me such tool has very, very low priority and very limited usage.

uni7y likes this.
  36. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Does anyone care to share what they're working on if it's RFP1-related? Critiques? Feedback? Tips?

37. Teila

Teila

What is RFP1? I don't speak abbreviations very well. :)

38. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

It starts with a "Rome" and ends with a "Fantasy Pack 1" ;)

TheSeawolf and Teila like this.
  39. Teila

Teila

Oh, good. :) I am working on something now but at the my rate of "work" compared to real life distractions, who knows when I will have something to show. I will post pictures here when I am ready.

40. BigYetti

BigYetti

Would GameFlow do the trick? It was briefly mentioned above but it looks like it might work?
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/14808
    And its only $20 bucks.

41. mgear

mgear

More fun if would have maybe randomize button,
    or house customizer where you just click "next roof piece >",
    like in character editors you can select between multiple hair meshes..

42. Teila

Teila

Everyone wants to 'proceduralize' everything! :) Let me know how it works for you.

43. smada-luap

smada-luap

That's a lot of coding and custom support required for an art asset pack. I don't have this pack, but if it's anything like other modular packs out there, a lot of it will be designed to snap to a grid which makes for rapid construction.

TeagansDad and Teila like this.
  44. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

It all is. I'm done with the modular setup here in Unreal. I make buildings using dropdown boxes that have the meshes, material overrides, tiling and offset parameters, visibility options... It's a shame I can't do similar in Unity.

Teila likes this.
  45. Teila

Teila

Thought I would share a project I am working on for a UMA demo. It is not at all finished and nothing fancy in the lighting, but I love the way the square is coming together. MarketSquareSmall1.jpg

46. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Nice work! Don't forget to try out the WoodSupports objects in the /Features folder. They are setup to align with the building walls with and without windows and will give some nice variety on the architecture.

47. Teila

Teila

I am not really doing a Roman city but a medieval Italian one so not sure if I will use the wood supports. I did use some in other areas, mostly to make balconies. I will admit to taking stuff into Maya and making changes. For example, I closed off the facades to make complete buildings and created some additional parts. I am having lots of fun with it!

48. l0cke

l0cke

Do you already know, when you will start work on other kits?

49. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

Hi Pete,

Do you have a list breaking down what is included in the pack?
    Thanks

50. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

- 10 flexible architectural prefabs to get your started quickly.
    - 175 architectural meshes to create your own building from scratch.
    - Leverage a huge library of PBR materials made completely in Substance Designer and Substance Painter to give character to your scenes.
    - Paintable decals further increase the detail
    - Selection of beautifully unwrapped, normal-mapped props with soft edges.
    - Area-weighted normals for scene geometry creates a high quality, smoothed look.
    - More prefabs, architecture, and materials through free updates with your support!