Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Rogue Tower Intercept - a Mobile casual game

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Ianicm, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Ianicm

Ianicm

Hi guys!

Pavel and I just released our third game. This time around we decided on a shorter project than our two other games ( Breacher, Breacher Story, both available on iOS and Android ). Since we've been in the hacking and conspiracy themes we decided to make a game where the player looks for Rogue Cell Towers. We wanted a nice casual game, something close to minesweeper, we opted to make use to triangulation to pinpoint the tower location using radars.

We created tons of design and finally agreed on this look. We also drafted a complete campaign + more radar types etc, but first we thought we would test the market with a casual simple version of the game.

Here you have it : Rogue Tower intercept.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Doubleton.RogueTowerIntercept
    Let us know what you think.

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Was Breacher a long game dev cycle?

Speaking directly about aesthetics - I think the motion graphics and overall aesthetic is beautiful, clean and elegant.

I haven't played yet - but - the theme doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. What is wrong with a 'rogue' cell tower? Isn't it better to be surrounded by more cell towers than less?
    Maybe if you can clean up the messaging - because more people (I think) think the same as I do, the theme might be more of a hook.

I'll check it out to see if the messaging is cleared up within the game. ;)

3. Ianicm

Ianicm

the first version of Breacher was quite simple, still about 4 months. ( one coder, that has a day job on top ) After the initial release, we added the 9 chapter mini-story that appears in sms text, we added the leaderboards, plus the 9 different firmware the player can upgrade throughout the game, then the check points for the datatype we steal.. We also made a premium version where the player gets to choose his own firmware. We also created different color themes every month for while...One other aspect, we learn about social media and grew a following, worked months on marketing the game. We also translated it ourselves in a few languages, then had other translations made, now we are looking at adding daily boost to increase daily plays. So, we are still working on that one, but mostly maintenance.

Breacher Story now has been translated in French, we are in the final stages and should release that one soon. Here we could definitely benefit from more exposure and marketing, but without a budget...it's a bit slow...

For Rogue Tower intercept, I agree, it needs a stronger, more focus messaging. Rogue Cell towers are bad, because this is how "shady agencies" are spying on your data. ( it's a popular conspiracy theory that the US is filled with them )

We also have a campaign planned out. If we develop that, it will help clear up that part...i hope ;)

This said, I'll see what I can do to make the game a bit more engaging and clear from the getgo.

thanks for the feedback!

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Very informative @amuse thanks for sharing. How many man hours do you suspect has been spent on the development of Breacher? It is a good game and one that is - imo - a good measurable benchmark for a solo indie. I also have a full-time day job. :)

Ah - OK - that was the missing information. Dang it - I have to keep up on my conspiracy theories better! :eek: If this "rogue cell towers are shady agencies stealing/spying on your data" is defined in the game and relayed to the player - I think this has some potential.
    May also change colors slightly. Even though the pink contrasts well with the blue colors, red or yellow is a common color for ALERT or ATTENTION!

5. Doug_B

Doug_B

Hi amuse,
    Rogue Tower looks interesting. Is the video link above showing any of the actual game play? I'm just wondering what the difficulty will be once a player has placed their 3rd tower and triangulated the position of the rogue cell. Or are there multiple cells to find?

I was also intrigued by theANMATOR2b's comment about Breacher. I just downloaded that. It does indeed look very crisp. Unfortunately, I have a very old iPhone4. I think some of the cogs and springs inside are running loose and Breacher keeps crashing it after a few moments. So I only got as far as the menu but still enough to see that you must have put a lot of effort into it.

6. Ianicm

Ianicm

How many man hours do you suspect has been spent on the development of Breacher?
    I sincerely couldn't say. We are two. ( coder/game desinger + writer/art/game design/marketing) but there is a much work in marketing the games as developing them. We have a active instagram - https://www.instagram.com/doubletongamestudio and twitter. ( no much on facebook) I can only imagine people maintaining blogs how busy they can become.

Doug_B, the video is pretty much the game play, a bit more glossy of course. Difficulties are based on : allowed timed per sessions vs the amount of Rogue Towers to locate + map variations ( presently we offer 3 different map and levels. ) Try it - it's free :) Let me know if it runs on your device if you can.

We're planning an update to Rogue tower in about a month,

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  7. Doug_B

Doug_B

Hi amuse,
    I did download Rogue Tower and took a quick look: it is tastefully presented.
    Unfortunately it does appear to have issues on my small iPhone4 screen. Here are some observations:
    1. On the How To Play panel, the pink / red text in the lower right ("Placing Radar") is very hard to read. But I assume this may not be the case on larger screens.
    2. Toggling the tower placement button (lower right button) seems to be a little hit and miss. Maybe the touch area could be a little larger.
    3. I was not able to place towers and now the game just seems to be stuck in a loop saying "towers cannot be placed on water" but again it is very difficult to read that text. However, I was able to do the intercepting action (which shows "-10").
    Hope these observations are useful to you.

8. Ianicm

Ianicm

Good morning! Thanks for all the feedback, it definitely helps. I've logged all these issues so we can address them (hopefully ) in the next release.