Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

3D Rocky Hills Environment Pack - Development Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by florianalexandru05, Jan 23, 2016.

1. stigmamax

stigmamax

It's perfect :cool:

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  2. stigmamax

stigmamax

strange artifacts occur with several objects. Unity 2022.3

3. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

That is very strange, how does this occur? I have never seen this before.

First question:

Do the meshes look like that or did you get this while working on this specific scene? The stretching on top looks like it could be something went wrong with the "detail map texture", check what's in your detail map in the material and if it's tiled properly, play with the tiling and offset although it doesn't seem to be that. Do all meshes look fine by default?

Second question:

Did you set anything to static?

Thirdly, I have no clue what that weird plane could be, could you record a short video of these glitches, also click on that glitching material and tell me if there is anything funny?! Are you getting any errors in the console?

4. stigmamax

stigmamax

5. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Did you unpack the prefab before moving the rock? Does the prefab itself look fine if you drag another one in the scene or is it only that one? Also, curious question but, is there any reason you are using the "prefab LOD" folder instead of the actually Prefab_Static folder (prefabs with lods)? You shouldn't be using anything from that LOD folder. At the time I made this pack, I didn't know I could export models with nested lods so I exported them separately. Hope that didn't cause confusion. I don't think that is the cause thou.

upload_2023-6-30_18-7-32.png

I looked at the shader used and that model has no custom shaders, only built-in shaders so I'm still baffled about this glitch.

Try re-importing the model ore resetting it.

6. stigmamax

stigmamax

this is my first time using objects with LOD. You should make a small doc to explain to beginners. I didn't know you had to use the Prefab_Static folder.
    But the problem is the same with another object.
    I sometimes get this error

Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
  7. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Your scene is looking good!

Haha don't worry, Until my latest asset pack, I didn't even know how to do LODs properly, still learning new things every day. There is no inherently wrong way to create LODs but there is a better way, I didn't realize this could confuse beginners. My new assets are better structured and I'll eventually upgrade this pack from scratch too.

Also, random note, If you don't want LODs popping in you can set the LOD bias from your Unity settings as well.

Regarding your texture glitch, I have never seen this before, it's strange that it's happening with my assets as those specific models don't have any custom shaders, everything uses the default built-in stuff so this means there's something happening from within your Unity program. The only thing I could find on the matter was this:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/tex...al-build-only-anyone-seen-this-before.280771/
    but I suggest you ask Unity on the forums and see if others experience this issue.

Another cause could be from another pack or plugging you're using. You should test my pack in an empty project too and see if the same issue occurs. Could be that the tools you are using are the cause somehow.

Regarding that error, it seems to be an internal Unity issue on your end, terrain-related perhaps, I suggest you take a look at this thread, you might end up losing your work. It sounds like you might have an issue with meta files.

Unknown error occurred while loading 'VirtualArtifacts/Primary/826a1f8477399f44487b4a06e035d501'. UnityEditor.TerrainInspector:OnEnable()

Are you using Mac or PC?

8. creat327

creat327

that looks like it's displaying 2 stones in the same place and they are z-fighting. Select it in the editor with click on the mesh (not the list of gameobjects on the left) and hide it, maybe there is something else there after you hide it.

9. stigmamax

stigmamax

here is what i have in the graphics

10. stigmamax

stigmamax

I created a blank project and I have this texture problem on all "Coverage" objects

11. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I'll take a look tomorrow and compare it with my settings.
    It worked in the other project, right? Probably didn't import well, right click and reimport the coverage shaders and materials.

12. stigmamax

stigmamax

the defect does not appear in a blank project but just in my game. It does not matter, I can camouflage these parts with vegetation.
    But is this part in yellow a bug?

13. stigmamax

stigmamax

Check out that rock anyway "CliffLargeARHE_CoverageS"
    I have to camouflage with other rocks. Most other rocks have no problem. it only happens on one end

14. stigmamax

stigmamax

Some trees are strange (BeechTreeOldWinter and most trees) after occlusion.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
  15. HybrisFactory

HybrisFactory

florianalexandru05 asked me to let the thread know that he won't be on for a week or so.
    His workstation failed recently and had to be brought to service, he should be back to address your questions then.

stigmamax, as for the issue you encountered with the trees, florianalexandru05 suggests that it's probably because of static batching.
    Trees should not be set as static, as this can break the shader which is intended to work with gpu instancing enabled.

16. stigmamax

stigmamax

Thanks, I forgot that.

17. stigmamax

stigmamax

18. stigmamax

stigmamax

right after installing Polybrush, here's what happened!

19. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Hei I just got my pc back! Why use "forward" rendering? Try switching to Defred!
    I have no explanation as to what's going on in your project as those issues happen with Unity's own shaders, I suggest switching to "deferred" rendering in the camera settings instead of forward!

20. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

No that's not a bug, don't worry about it, it's a modular piece, it's meant to be snapped with another one or covered.
    cliffs.jpg

21. stigmamax

stigmamax

Some assets recommend Deferred and others forward.
    I removed Polybrush because I'm going to use a spawner from the Store instead. What do you recommend as a spawner?

22. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

My assets should work in both forward and deferred but perhaps the forward combined with some of the assets you are using is causing funny bugs to happen, or maybe there's something funny with that specific model of mine.

Do you mean mesh painting or procedural spawning?
    As a mesh brush, I recommend this, I'm currently using it and it's good and easy to use:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/yapp-yet-another-prefab-painter-223381#reviews

For spawning there are some free ones but also affordable ones like this one:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/mapmagic-2-165180
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/mapmagic-2-objects-165181

This looks interesting:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/mega-world-free-207301
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/vegetation-spawner-177192

23. stigmamax

stigmamax

I know MapMagic but I prefer to use my own land.
    Vegetation Spawner is good but it is impossible to modify the objects afterwards.
    Mega World looks good, I'll give it a try.
    Thanks for those tips mate!

24. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I'm still looking for such terrain-spawning solutions myself. I have seen something really amazing on Artstation once but the creator forgot to publish it or abandoned it.

25. stigmamax

stigmamax

Mega World generates errors. The author says that it is necessary to pass in .NET Standart 2.1 whereas it is already it. Maybe it doesn't work in Unity 2022.3?

26. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

It could be that he didn't test it in the latest version but I see the last update was in 2023. Maybe I'll give it a try later.

27. stigmamax

stigmamax

After some modifications on my project, it appears this :

28. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Can you be more specific? What is it that you changed? I see you're adding your own materials to the trees. What shader are you using for the leaves? Looks like you need to re-add the textures in the material probably.

Or is that the white bug from the rock pictures?

29. stigmamax

stigmamax

I didn't add anything
    the rocks are good now.

there is no problem with the Mega Pack.
    I deleted Mega Pack (SRP) and downloaded it again but all the textures in this pack are pink.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2023
  30. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I sent you DM!

31. stigmamax

stigmamax

most of the materials were in URP while I never used this pipeline. I hand them all over. It's long in built-in because you have to do them one by one but it works.
    The other day I upgraded to .NET Framework instead of .NET Standard 2.1 and I think the trouble started there. It was to test an Asset that recommended changing that.

32. creat327

creat327

I know it seems the opposite way because of the version number, but you should use .Net Standard 2.1 whenever possible unless you have a very specific use case for .Net Framework

33. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I agree, you shouldn't change those settings, I suspect that's the reason most visual bugs are occurring in your editor. Before you said that everything worked fine in a new project so that implies your issues might be coming from the new changes. All Unity assets should work fine with the default settings, in extreme cases where the asset requires some hacking of the editor, changes are needed but they should usually be avoided.

34. stigmamax

stigmamax

I reloaded an older version and it worked.
    Something else
    I had placed grass and flowers with a pack but I would like to use the Rock Hills ones. Only I can't do it, no grass agrees to place itself.

35. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

The meshes don't work on terrain. You can place grass detail textures instead! Like these:
    terrain testxures.jpg

Currently, unity terrain does not support mesh painting. A workaround people use is to paint them as trees instead which is a really bad practice on its own because you get even more overdraw, but if you really want to insist on using mesh grass as "detailed mesh" you can. Simply do the following:

1. Unpack the model completely and remove the "LOD groups" from the prefab. Only keep the mesh without it nested in an empty and save it as a new prefab. then use it as a detail mesh.
    Screenshot_1.jpg Screenshot_2.jpg

It looks terrible thou since it's using the unshaded grass texture shader and the pivot of the grass is not stuck to the grown making the grass move and slide across the terrain.
    Screenshot_3.jpg

Attached is an example, try adding those instead.

But yah, just use the texture folder I highlighted in the first image. ;) *(Also turn off billboard) Look at the example scenes from the pack! (RHESceneTerrain_Summer) is a good one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2023
  36. stigmamax

stigmamax

ah ok ! but What does Mega Pack (TFS) mean?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
  37. stigmamax

stigmamax

Hello,
    What is the difference between
    SpruceTreeSummer and SpruceTreeSummer_Optimized?
    They are identical with the same number of triangles.

38. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

That was another one of my confused moments so I made another version in a separate folder. Basically, what it is it's just me realizing that "mesh colliders" don't work on terrain trees, so the optimized folder has trees with "capsule colliders" instead. You should use that folder if you want to have a character controller or something. I didn't know only capsule colliders work if you want to use trees with the terrain system. If you add a mesh collider it won't read it. That's another limitation of the terrain system.

I have learned much since then so next time I'll do better.

39. stigmamax

stigmamax

I use a spawner to place the objects. "Hey Area Spawner"

I don't think I found any birch in the Asset.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2023
  40. stigmamax

stigmamax

is it a filename error? You have repeatedly written "BeecthTree" instead of "BeechTree"!

41. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Misspell, I forgot to fix this one but I probably won't at this point since there are too manny models.

42. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Hi guys, long time no hear. I have an important announcement to make!

I'm almost finished with my latest foliage system and I think it will blow your minds. On the other hand, the development of the graveyard pack is taking too long so I have decided to release the foliage and tree assets with the new shader as a separate pack first. There's no point in making people wait any longer. :) I'm still not finished yet but I'm getting close as I'm almost done with the tree version of the shader now, then I just have to make the scripts. This has been a very difficult task but at the end of the day, I hope it delivers.

Some more details about the new Foliage system. Originally a part of Rocky Hills, It will be rebranded as "The Toby Foliage Engine". This shader will be a fast solution for anyone that wants a good plant shader at a more affordable price. The shader is almost as complex as "The Vegetation Engine" but with fewer features. It will be simple to use and work internally without the need for extra coding or third-party tools. The shader will be available to discover and edit for anyone that owns "Amplify Shader Editor".

Shader features:

1. Shading

• Pbr shading with backface and front-face lighting fix. (new)
    • Ability to warp Vertex normals and specular. (new)
    • Correct backface normal maps and specular.
    • Self Shaded and occluded translucency (a brand-new feature that works in all pipelines).
    • World space color variation for leaves.
    • Season change control system like quixel trees.

2. Wind

• 2 Phases; gentil and strong directional wind.
    • Realistic leaf movement.
    • Center of mass option to prevent plants from stretching and reduces movement from the center. (more realistic wind)
    • Gizmo rotation control and other options.
    • Branch bending.
    I'll try to make this as performant as possible, so far the performance is good. And now for some pix!

Shading and season change using vertex position up mask.

TTFS_CV_01.jpg
    TTFS_CV_02.jpg
    TTFS_CV_03.jpg
    TTFS_CV_04.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2023
  43. creat327

creat327

what's the advantage of using this over TVE? I'm wondering because most people replace all shaders with TVE to have a single one.

Also, have you tried this on android/mobile devices? curious to know how is the performance there.

44. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Not much tbh, I think using The vegetation engine would be a good choice in general but my shader could also be a simpler choice. At the moment I can't make any clear comparison but I think in terms of shading and others I have a bit more stuff. I won't be implementing any touch bending or interaction like TVE thou, I'm not sure if TVE works in deferred? I will do some research on TVE eventually, I have bought the pack too but I can say my shader is designed to work in deferred and to be optimized. Overall I think my shaders could be useful for people that want to learn to create shaders as my shader functions will be a lot simpler. I'm not making a replacement for TVE but an alternative.

I will do extensive performance tests, I think the performance is pretty good so far, you can also turn off as many options as you need to improve performance and there will be less expensive versions of some features available in the options. After I finish my shaders I will be back with a performance roadmap, comparisons, and builds.

Will come back later with more details.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2023
    creat327 likes this.
  45. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

So I made some performance tests to compare with the Vegetation engine and my shader is a lot faster. I got 70fps in deferred while with TVE I got about 50ish. When I enable both wind phases, however, I get the same performance as his forward shader which I think is still pretty impressive, to say the least as my wind phases are very, should I say stuffed. The performance can only go up as you turn off features from my shader. I will come back with some proof sometime later to back up my statement. :) I'll be working really hard on optimization and it will still look good.

creat327 likes this.
  46. creat327

creat327

What device was that you tested it on? desktop or mobile?

47. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Desktop for now but I can safely say my wind is very cheap, only eats a few fps. This shader won't require pivot painter either but I think that can be a turn-off for some people. I'm trying to make the wind animation look almost as good as pivot painter by giving extra attention to details.

48. stigmamax

stigmamax

49. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Yes, it's possible (somewhat). I was actually trying to figure out just that, but unfortunately, wouldn't be possible with Triplanar projection as the trunk is animated and the projection is stuck in world space, at least I don't know how to do it yet. I have yet to find out how to stick it to vertex position however, UV projection can still be used, the caveat is that it will have... seams and the other issue is, it might be costly on performance to have moss projection on trees altogether. Anyway, I will give it a try again at a later stage of development, it would be really cool if It can be done.

50. stigmamax

stigmamax

About the animation of the tree trunks, it shouldn't appear at the foot of the tree because it's not very realistic.