Search Unity

RockStudio 3 - Procedural Rock Generator

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by alexanderameye, Feb 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

I am here to present the re-release of my asset RockStudio. I decided to make a new thread for this update
    since the code-base was entirely rewritten from the ground up and the asset is in many ways 'new'. This update has been a long time coming and I hope you like it. There are no new big features compared to older versions, but now that the code is no longer one big mess, it will be easier to add features in the future and I do have things planned.

I'm planning on publishing this update in a few days hopefully. There will be no price increase, this is a free update. You can visit the current store page here. https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/modeling/rockstudio-low-poly-rock-generator-87718

What is RockStudio?
    RockStudio is a procedural rock generation tool. It can generate low poly rocks and crystals for you in any shape imagineable. The generated rocks are automatically UV-mapped so you can put any material on them that you want.

Why would I need RockStudio?
    You can use RockStudio to rapidly create good-looking rock geometry. You can use it to create more interesting white-boxing levels but you can also use it in any low-poly or stylized game. Below you will find some images of beautiful scenes created with RockStudio.

- scene made with RockStudio and Low Poly Water GPU -

Rock Generation Workflow
    Rock generation starts with one of the 4 base types. These are cubic, boulder, crystal or custom. You get several generation settings to play with to allow you to create as much rock types as possible. For example you can choose the rock dimensions, shape, resolution, materials,... When placing a rock in your scene, you have use a handy placing gizmo. You can see this placement tool in the 'UX' section below. It's as easy as point-and-click.

- rocks with high, medium and low resolution respectively -

Here is a video that shows the workflow in RockStudio 3.

Crystals
    In RockStudio you can create several crystal types based on the default 'crystal' type. I've made sure that you can create several crystals based on lattice systems such as octahedral, hexagonal, tetragonal etc.

- several crystals made with RockStudio -
    Materials
    All the rocks are automatically UV-mapped. You can add whatever materials you want to them. The tool includes a 'material palette' tool which allows you to create a palette of 4 materials, and when placing rocks the tool will randomly pick one of those 4 materials and assign it to the rocks. That way you can achieve some nice variation.

- the material palette in action -

Saving and Exporting
    You can save the generated rocks in your scene or as an asset in your project folder. You get several useful options with this to add rigidbodies or colliders automatically and you also have the option to combine several rocks into one mesh.

Mesh Combiner

RockStudio comes with several extra tools that aim to improve your workflow. This includes a mesh combiner that will preserve the multiple materials of your rocks.

- from left to right: mesh collider not combined, box collider not combined, mesh collider combined and box collider combined -
    Sculpting Mode
    The tool comes with a sculpting mode. In this mode, you drag handles to create a shape that you'd like. Then you can generate a rock that will have that shape.

- a rock structure generated with the sculpting tool -
    UX
    I've done a lot of work on making this tool as easy as possible to use and have spent a lot of time on polishing it as much as possible. The UI is clean but still provides all the information that you need.

- the main UI of RockStudio -
    Prefab Painter
    In previous versions of this tool, there was a prefab painter included. I've made this prefab painter open source a while ago, and that's why I've decided to not include it in this version. I wanted the tool to focus on the rock generation itself. If you want to use this prefab painter you can get it here on github. https://github.com/AlexanderAmeye/prefab-painter

Documentation and Roadmap
    I'm working on an online documentation that will be done soon (before the release). I will also share a roadmap so you can see what features to expect.

If you have questions or comments, please do let me know below.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    xenonmiii likes this.
  2. xenonmiii

xenonmiii

This looks like a great tool, however I think a video of the tool in action (especially on the asset store) would be very helpful from a marketing point of view.

3. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Will post a video when it gets published, good idea!

xenonmiii likes this.
  4. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Here is a video example of the workflow in RockStudio 3.

xenonmiii likes this.
  5. xenonmiii

xenonmiii

Nice. It would be helpful for the viewers to also see some titles explaining briefly what you're doing in each section of the flow. E.g. Assigning Materials, Creating random stones, Exporting, etc. (I'm sure you can come with better titles than me :) )

6. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Yep! I will edit a video that's kind of a 'tutorial', this was just a quick screengrab to show you how simple the workflow is.

xenonmiii likes this.
  7. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Another video showing some level design. A tutorial video will come but this is just a showcase of the tool. Hoping to push the update next weekend.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  8. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Hitch42 likes this.
  9. IndieGameHustle

IndieGameHustle

Awesome! I am heading over to the asset store to check it out.

10. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Great to hear. If you need any assistance or have any questions do not hesitate to email me at alexanderameye@gmail.com.

I'm hoping to get the documentation done soon.

IndieGameHustle likes this.
  11. macish

macish

wheni import it i get this error Assets\Ameye\RockStudio\Scripts\RockStudio\Handle.cs(4,14): error CS0101: The namespace '<global namespace>' already contains a definition for 'Handle'

12. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Do you already have another script in your project called 'Handle'?

13. macish

macish

Well apparently you are not alone in bad manners of choosing global names. I guess some other asset uses the same name. Maybe it would be safe in general to use something like "rockstudio3_handle" for your stuff to be more or less safe and not run into issues with using generic names like "handle" only ... when i find the other "handle" perpetrator ill inform that dev too... in the general world of 1001 asset packs from the unity store i assume some clearer name handling is needed to avoid such clashes.

If u could fix it on your side to have exclusive names for all your scripts that would be great. I'll contact the other dev when i find him. :D
    thnx alex and keep up the great tool work!

14. MostHated

MostHated

This looks pretty sweet man, just grabbed this and am going to play around with it later. : D

15. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

I will do exactly that! 'Handle' is too generic of a name and I will fix it. Will push an update later today.

macish likes this.
  16. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Thank you for the support. I appreciate it! If you need any assistance, do let me know. You can always email me at alexanderameye@gmail.com.

MostHated likes this.
  17. MostHated

MostHated

Is the asset itself not namespaced? If it is, it should not be an issue if something ends up having the same name.

18. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

All the scripts were namespaced except the 2 handle scripts. Added a namespace to them. Update should be live soon and the issue should be fixed.

MostHated likes this.
  19. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

@macish update was just approved. Let me know if you're still experiencing the issue!

MostHated likes this.
  20. RuanJacobz

RuanJacobz

Hey there Amey, I am loving the asset, but I seem to be running into a problem; whenever I try and export one of the rocks (to somewhere inside my project) I get an empty mesh. If I try to export somewhere outside my project, ie the desktop, no file is even created.

21. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Thank your for purchasing the asset, I appreciate a lot.

I imported RockStudio into a new project and generated a rock.

upload_2019-3-20_14-8-19.png

I then loaded in the generated rock into the 'Object' slot and pressed 'Export'.

upload_2019-3-20_14-9-7.png

I get the rock in my project folder as it should. And I can place it in my scene and it shows up as expected.

So I can't really seem to reproduce the issue... Do you get no exported object at all, or an object without a mesh? Does it say 'Mesh exported.' in the console window?

Feel free to email me at alexanderameye@gmail.com for more assistance. Maybe some screenshots could be helpful too? Let's figure this out!

Regards,

Alex

22. RuanJacobz

RuanJacobz

Hey there Amey, thank you for getting back to me.
    I tried using the asset in a fresh new project to make sure it wasn't just some arbitrary setting in my current project causing this. But the behaviour is still the same, sadly.

I do get some warnings in the console.

And the mesh exported log does indeed appear:

The exported objects (inside my project) end up looking like this:

The object does exist, but there's just no mesh.
    It seems this even happens if I try to drag a rock from the scene into the project explorer to make a prefab instead of an fbx.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  23. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

I can't seem to find much about the error online either. Could you let me know what version of Unity you are using?

I am testing on 2018.3.1, could you let me know if you get the issue on that version as well?

Also, does the rock have a standard shader on it, so not a shader for the new rendering pipelines?

Regards,

Alex

24. ArtOfWarfare

ArtOfWarfare

Hello,

I'm looking to dynamically create a field of meteors in my game. Can these generated rocks have craters in them, or are they strictly convex shapes? Also, can the rocks be generated on-the-fly at runtime? If so, could you share a quick code example for how that would be done?

25. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Hello! I'm exploring some options to add mesh denting in the future but at the moment this is not supported.

For the run time-generation, yes this should be possible however I advise you to not do this. It would be far better performance-wise to generate a certain amount of rocks (10 maybe), turn them into prefabs and then spawn them with varying position, rotation and scale. You would get the same effect of a meteor field without having a performance drop.

26. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

27. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

Is there an API ? Can i call it to generate myself ?

28. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Yes you can! In the RockStudio namespace there is a 'CreateRock' method. It takes a list of vertices, a position, and some more parameters.

upload_2019-12-5_1-9-38.png

Alex

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  29. Donderbos

Donderbos

@alexanderameye, very cool asset, but I'm having a few minor issues that is making my experience using your asset a bit annoying.

The following error comes from RockStudio:

This seems to happen after opening RockStudio, creating rocks and then switching to a different scene. The RockStudio tab also appears empty then. After changing scenes I have to close and reopen the RockStudio window in order to use it again and for the errors to disappear.

There is also a problem with placing rocks, the position and icon for placing the rock is offset quite a distance from my mouse cursor. Makes it quite difficult the place the rocks, since I keep clicking outside my scene window.

I'm using Mac OSX 10.15.2 and Unity version 2019.3.7f1URP if that helps in any way.

Thanks

30. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

I sent you a message with an updated script that will resolve this. I will update the asset later today and look into this.

Alex

31. rhett-thompson

rhett-thompson

I'm having the same error, except it's worse; the widget to place rocks doesn't show up so you can't do anything.

32. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

And you get the same console errors?

33. rhett-thompson

rhett-thompson

Yeah when the tool window decides not to load. I haven't nailed it down to switching scenes, however.

The error spit out on load:
    Annotation 2020-06-14 115243.png

Like I said, loading the tool window the "place rocks" widget doesn't appear.

I'm using Unity 2020.1.0b7.3556 and the latest Rock Studio.

34. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Could you test this with Unity 2019 as well? I believe that the the 'unable to load the icon 'vcs_delete' is an error specific to 2020.1 and not present in any 2019 versions.

Officially, I don't support beta versions but I'll give this tool some love after my finals and make sure it works in 2020.1 beta as well. Thanks for understanding :)

35. rhett-thompson

rhett-thompson

Tried it in 2019.4.0f1 - same thing - no widget, same error. What version is it supposed to work in?

Annotation 2020-06-14 203936.png

36. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Just tested it and you're right!

I just pushed an update to the store fixing these issues. My apologies for the inconvenience.

The following changes were made.

- Changed onSceneGUIDelegate to duringSceneGUI
    - Changed the vcs_delete icon
    - Changed the textures from .jpg to .png (asset store policy)
    - Added a small readme file (asset store policy)
    - Fixed some UI issues in the support window

Cheers,

Alex

37. rhett-thompson

rhett-thompson

Cool good deal. When will the update become live? It's still at v3.0.0 and hasn't changed for me, yet.

Thanks.

38. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Since the changes are just bug fixes, I didn't increase the version number, but the update is not live yet! Usually the asset store approval team is pretty quick with updates so I expect the update to be accepted soon. I'll post something here when it's live :)

rhett-thompson likes this.
  39. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

rhett-thompson likes this.
  40. rhett-thompson

rhett-thompson

That did the trick; thanks for the support! Great tool!

alexanderameye likes this.
  41. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Hi want to now can you creat hi poly rocks with this asset or only stylized?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.