Search Unity

Rocket pack engine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by recon, Oct 20, 2011.

1. recon

recon

Just discovered http://rocketpack.fi/engine/ and Im a bit curious what you guys think. It seems like it could be a viable option in the future for people making social games (what seems to be all the fuzz these days).

The coolest feature seems to be that they made their editor available online, and it works on all platforms to. How cool wouldn't it be to be able to work on your unity project using your iPad while sitting on the bus on your way to work. Would be perfect for a workaholic like myself :)

Not trying to promote them or anything, just trying to keep an eye on the competition!

2. wccrawford

wccrawford

Well, it isn't so much that their editor is 'available' online... It's only online. There is no way to work on your project without an internet connection. That may not seem like a problem, but I assure you that it will eventually be a hassle. (Of course, they could implement some kind of offline support, but I'm betting their server does a lot of work, like store the assets and scenes, so it won't be easy.)

"Make any kind of game" ... Except 3D ones, apparently. So no current-gen MMOs, FPSs, or puzzle games that require the 3rd dimension.

It looks easy to use from the video, but only if you're making a 2D game.

I'm sure Unity isn't worried about this at all.

3. kenlem

kenlem

It looks interesting but I don't expect it to be a Unity competitor. It's a little odd to see Unity in the comparison matrix. I didn't see a way to try the editor out.

4. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

It looks like a nice little tool, buy it doesn't seem to be as advanced as many of the other engines.

5. adaman

adaman