Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Rock And A Hard Place *Please Help?*

Discussion in 'World Building' started by unity_MWke1jHxlsNnXA, Jul 10, 2020.

1. unity_MWke1jHxlsNnXA

unity_MWke1jHxlsNnXA

Been working on my Terrain in URP(2019.4.3f1) for days now and am stuck in a brutal push-pull.

I can use Terrain for, well, Terrain sculpting and can even use it to place grass with some success but the Terrain tree tools are a pink nightmare.

I can use Pulybrush to place some of my prefab trees BUT Polybrush will not interact with any "Terrain" objects.

So, it would seem, I can use Terrains and grass but not trees or Polybrush.
    Or I can use Polybrush but no Terrains or Terrain Tools...

Is there something I'm missing here?

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Polybrush only works on mesh objects, not Terrain. However, you could use Polybrush (and ProBuilder) to build and sculpt a mesh object, then save that object as a Prefab, and load it into the Terrain for scattering (ie, trees, rocks, etc).

3. unity_MWke1jHxlsNnXA

unity_MWke1jHxlsNnXA

Thank you so much for your reply!
    I have an FBX tree I made in blender but run in to issues with the leaf billboards (a simple plain with transparent texture) in that they completely disappear when used in the terrain scattering tool yet work just fine when the prefab is placed by hand. The Naked trees all pint at a 90 degrees (laying on the ground) but I figure that's just an issue with the original fbx object before/during export.

4. unity_MWke1jHxlsNnXA

unity_MWke1jHxlsNnXA

Attaching video of issue:

5. unity_MWke1jHxlsNnXA

unity_MWke1jHxlsNnXA

Might be a combo of two things?

Tree trunk has LODs while the leaves do not.
    Leaves are a child of the Tree prefab.

6. unity_MWke1jHxlsNnXA

unity_MWke1jHxlsNnXA

okay, I don't know who else this might help but I figured it out.

It was BOTH issues above.

Here's what I came up with:
    1. Use Mtree in blender to make an original tree model. Then export that model as an FBX. Mtree treats the leaves as a modifier, not actual components until export.
    2. Open a new blender project and import the saved FBX. Now you can use Ctrl+J to join everything into one object, so there's no Parent/Child issues.
    3. Duplicate your "collection" containing the tree as many times as you need LODs and Decimate them accordingly. *Note* "collection" used to be called "layers" in previous blender builds.
    4. Name each object *not the collection, that name doesn't mater* "Objectname_LOD#"
    5. Export this new blender file as the FBX you'll use in your Unity project.
    6. The Terrain tools will now work with this FBX and/or any prefabs you make from it.
    Hopes this helps somebody else.
    I'm going to go have some aspirin and a lay down...