Search Unity

Robot Wars VR /AR

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by richardh, Mar 17, 2018.

1. richardh

richardh

The BBC (UK) has cancelled the very popular TV show called Robot Wars (Google it for details). But it got me wondering about the possibility of creating the same game in VR. I've done a bit of research (googled) and currently there is no VR game that matches the idea of BBC's Robot Wars - That is to create a battle robot (NOT a transformer or ridable robot but a remote controlled 'Lawnmower with attitude' to battle against other user-created robots. In VR you would be given a workshop full of tools and parts to create a robot within a set of rules. Once created you could then enter the arena and fight it out in competitions against other robots in teams or one-on-one.

LINK to WIKI

This is an idea that would transfer really well to VR.

Look up and research BBC's Robot Wars and any VR game developers out there might consider this for a future VR game dev title.

It could also be developed as AR too.

thoughts, discussion??

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  2. richardh

richardh

Overnight I have been thinking about this and I think I might start some development to see what I can achieve. I think the idea of VR robot wars would be very popular. The VR aspect would make it very similar to actually being in the Robot Wars arena controlling your robot rather than previous attempts at robot wars games which sort of put you in the driving seat of a robot or into a 3rd person view.

I am good enough at modelling to create all the assets required for such a project but confess to having little knowledge of unity c# programming and even less knowledge of pulling this off in VR but I will do some research and investigations. I have used Playmaker in some of my Unity projects and wonder if the current Playmaker ver is VR ready?
    Will delve!

Not sure where one would stand with regard to IP and copyright but I expect that any game developed from this idea would be okay providing one avoids too many 'obvious' similarities. The idea is pretty generic and even the arena and arena obstacles are pretty standard game mechanics.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018