Search Unity

Roadmap to v1?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by strich, May 15, 2019.

1. strich

strich

Hi,

I tried Addressables about a year ago and found it unsuitable for our needs and I wrote out own system sitting on top of Asset Bundles. I need to refactor our system now and thought I might take another look at Addressables and see if it is up to scratch. I'm currently testing out the pipeline end to end, however I'm struggling to find any kind of roadmap to v1. Would be good to have to increase my confidence in whether I ought to take it on for our project.

Cheers.

chanon81 likes this.
  2. unity_bill

unity_bill

I'm not sure exactly what level of detail you mean by "roadmap", but we should be a 1.x by June some time, and should drop the -preview tag a month or so later. Hope that helps.

joshcamas, Overing and JesOb like this.
  3. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Without roadmap we can't really tell things like is 1.0 going to be DOTS compatible? :)
    or what missing feats are coming and at what stage?

I've postponed using addressables because I'd want DOTS support + way to encrypt the assets with some nice API or at least some sample snippet on the access point etc. It's not been really clear at all on what priority these things take as there's no public roadmap.

I just keep going through changelogs occasionally but seems like things I want aren't there. Having roadmap would just add a lot of clarity so people would know what to expect and when.

4. strich

strich

Knowing when v1 will come is a great start. But there must be steps along the way - For example the documentation for this feature that isn't very out of date is non-existent. I currently cannot use the package as it stands right now - I just don't know what it is doing, how or why.

chanon81 likes this.
  5. chanon81

chanon81

Exactly how I feel. There is no explanation how or why it is doing anything it does .. or even what exactly it is doing. How to actually use it is also pretty hard to understand, and even if you figure out some of it, I'm thinking it is too complex/inconvenient due to everything requiring async calls [see my post here for more thoughts about that].

As I see it there are two parts of Addressables:

1. The part where it creates and manages the asset bundles and content updates for you, including downloading them to the device.

2. The part where you use either AssetReference or Addressables.LoadAssetAsync/Addressables.InstantiateAsync to actually load the addressable assets.

I have been able to figure out part 2 - I use Addressables.LoadAssetAsync primarily to be able to dynamically load assets using their asset path.

But as for part 1, I feel it isn't explained at all about how/why/what it is doing. And I'm also a bit scared that it isn't really robust yet as from using just part 2 I have run into so many bugs already.

Hopefully when it hits 1.0, which looks like it will not be too long from now, everything will be in a good spot and the documentation will be extensive enough to actually use, or I'll have to do the same as you already have and just write something that manages asset bundles myself.

Last edited: May 17, 2019