Search Unity

Question Roadmap Page question/suggestion

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Thomas-Bousquet, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Thomas-Bousquet

Thomas-Bousquet

There's a couple of interesting features marked as 'Released' in the 'Package Management' tab of the Pipeline roadmap page - namely 'Multi select action'.
    The post is dated July 2021, but I've checked 2021.3.14f1 and I can't reproduce the the example given in the screenshot .
    Which version was this released in ?

Additionally, I think it'd be useful/necessary to add which version of Unity each Released Feature were actually Released in (including the minor version number), to let user know if they're in current LTSs or in Tech/Beta versions.

Similarly, there's a 'Planned Released 23.1' block but I don't think it's possible to check the current version of the PackageManager from within Unity Editor, so it's difficult to understand what that means.

Cheers.

2. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

Thomas-Bousquet likes this.
  3. Thomas-Bousquet

Thomas-Bousquet

Thanks @maximeb_unity! Are there any issue tracker for these kind of request?

4. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

Not that I know of, other that maybe that roadmap page itself. Yeah, I know, it feels circular. o_O But I'm not aware of any public request tracking system about improving the web sites and/or request trackers :D (Internally we're using a feedback/feature tracking tool.)

cathyma likes this.
  5. cathyma

cathyma

Unity Technologies

Hi there!

Nice to meet you, I'm Cathy, the Package Management Product Manager.

Thanks again for the feedback around those. I've reflected each card for the released features with a section Release Information.

I've also included the introductory post for the released features.

Planned Release 23.1
    That section is intentionally informing users like yourself what to expect in 23.1.

Hope this clarifies.

Thomas-Bousquet likes this.
  6. Thomas-Bousquet

Thomas-Bousquet

Thanks a lot for that!
    I think it does, but I suggest using the 202X.Y.Z (or 202X.Y+) nomenclature to refer to Unity Editor's versions : from my experience most (if not all) communication uses that one; and I've only seen 2X.Y(.Z) here.
    Also, since package manager has its own version number (see its changelog), that can create confusion.

But again, thanks a lot for the speedy reply and adjustments!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  7. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Thomas-Bousquet,

Ah, now I understand the confusion around the Package Manager versioning. That versioning used to pertain to the Package Manager UI, which was a package in Unity 2018.X, but was merged back into the main Unity codebase in 2019.X and is no longer a package since then. The changelog you linked is therefore no longer relevant to any Unity version since 2019.2. The 2020 and 2021 entries in the changelog were the final patches that were applied for that package in 2018.4 LTS.

8. Thomas-Bousquet

Thomas-Bousquet

Understood!
    I still think using 202X.Y would make it more understandable; since (and I checked) this is the only roadmap using 2X.Y naming convention
    To be fair,right now it's pretty inconsistent across roadmaps (some use 202X Tech/Beta/LTS, others 202X.Y and a few even use 202X); hopefully they can get aligned eventually.

maximeb_unity likes this.