Search Unity

Road & Traffic System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by wireddev, Aug 25, 2014.

?

Wondering if this is something that people are interested in purchasing?

1. Yes

88 vote(s)
    85.4%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. lazygunn

lazygunn

Has the turning at junctions been improved yet? The main thing keeping me from spending time with my purchase of this is that they'really currently unusable, and having to change the turn point yourself for a slight improvement is a total hack

I'm looking for player controlled cars used within the system, is it intended for this use case or is it more intended for city-building kind of games?

Some training on car ai I watched recently had ai cars follow an invisible 'rabbit' that snapped to the roadways rigidly but as the trailing car behind the rabbit had time to adjust it's movements were far more natural. I've used this technique since even to move complicated character controllers with success and it might be quite useful maybe?

An alternative is the option to scale any movement values to a normalised axis and allow users to use their own car physics like randomation or edys - that way there'd be consistent car physics and traffic vehicles could dynamically change roles between being technically 'dumb' traffic objects to taking part in the more dynamic nature of cars interacting with player drivers

Just a thought, as it seems you already have the rules for traffic flow down quite well, it would just be nice for them to be a bit more like real cars rather than car shaped objects following lines

2. hopeful

hopeful

@jrDev - If you need an answer, best to contact by support email. The forum doesn't always notify thread owners of new messages.

3. hopeful

hopeful

In case you don't get an answer from the devs right away, let me try to give one.

So far as I can tell, this plugin was designed to provide an inexpensive, lightweight solution for background traffic in a game. It has been improved to somewhat accommodate player and AI driven cars, pedestrians, and other things that might enter the roadway, but the controls for those other vehicles would have to come from yourself or another developer / system.

Also, it's not expected that you would use the car models that were provided as demos with this asset, though of course you can. You'd bring in your own cars, and when you hook them up you would put the turning point where you want.

It sounds to me like you are looking for a much more developed, feature-rich system, maybe like this one (or possibly something even better): https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/23564

4. lazygunn

lazygunn

Ive already been having several ongoing communications with car ai devs looking at providing traffic based behaviour and i'm aware of ITS i just havent the money to spend on it just to find out its not what i was looking for, and that too is in ongoing development

Obviously id provide my own cars, but as it seems the steering isnt being provided by the wheels, it's going to look quite bad if you're viewing it from the interior of another car

I think if things like that aren't really on the roadmap for improvement i guess i'll be looking at making something a bit more personalised from the result of discussions that have been had, which is a pity if something like this is decided to be feature locked at this state, but hey

5. adhdchris

adhdchris

@lazygunn I bought both the iTS and R&T assets and both of them are unusable in production games at their current state. I'd say iTS is way worse since you'll end up paying $250 to get the source code version just to be able to add some crucial functionality. I've been asking the devs at R&T for a physics based controller or a wrapper for existing systems, but was told to figure it out myself.
    I ended up using the node system from R&T and the car controller from iTS and gutting + rewriting half of the source code to have a somewhat realistic traffic system. If I could do it all over again, I'd probably just suck it up and try to write the whole thing from scratch and have a half-baked traffic asset of my own. So if you've got the means, just make one yourself coz none of the currently available assets really do the job.

6. John3D

John3D

Hello,

How can I trigger an action when a Player Car enters the intersection on red?

Thanks!

7. crafTDev

crafTDev

Sent an email today and waiting for reply.

Thanks,
    jrDev

8. amia

amia

'How to Chang Driving Side ' piles help me

9. amia

amia

Unity Asset - Road Traffic System v2.0.1 'How to Chang Driving Side ' piles help me

10. amia

amia

Road Traffic System v2.0.1
    'How to Chang Driving Side ' piles help me

11. hopeful

hopeful

@amia - Blue color sends traffic one way, pink the other. I don't have the system open in front of me right now, but I think one way to solve your problem is to rotate each road segment 180 degrees on the Y axis. There is a button for that when you are building the road; it probably says "Rot Y (90)". Two clicks on that button should reverse the flow of traffic for that road segment.

True, you'd have to rotate each segment as you place it with that method, which is a bit of work. If there is a single check box for changing the direction of traffic I don't remember it. (But maybe there is one.)

12. amia

amia

Ok but turn and T Intersection problems

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    hopeful likes this.
  13. hopeful

hopeful

Yes. It would be best if there was a checkbox somewhere to indicate which way you want traffic to run.

If you need to get this resolved right away, best to contact wireddev either by PM or by email.

14. amia

amia

mr : hopefui " piles help me video tutorial"

15. amia

amia

16. crafTDev

crafTDev

I like that hopeful is saying to contact the developer by email, but they still haven't responded to my support email!

Thanks,
    jrDev

17. hopeful

hopeful

Sorry. It's the normal route for support on Unity, though. Try the forums first, and if you don't get an answer (or you need a rapid or confidential response), you contact by support email.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of people schedule vacations in the summer. Not sure if that applies here or not, of course.

18. crafTDev

crafTDev

Well I asked this in the forum and no one responded. Do you have an idea of what I am talking about here:

19. hopeful

hopeful

@jrDev - I have no inside track on this. I only know what I've read in this thread, and I probably don't remember half of it. ;)

I think the idea is they are giving a basic set of tools for traffic that reflect what they're using for their game(s), and while they're accommodating some suggestions, they're not branching out too wildly from that. So anything you want to have R&T do that isn't presently in the kit ... you should probably think about what it would take to add that feature yourself.

The only exception to this that I can think of is that they may have tentative plans to integrate their traffic control system with EasyRoads v3 when it finally comes out of beta. But EasyRoads v3 has been in development for over a year and a half now, and has been in beta for about half of that time, so no telling when it will actually get a formal release.

20. crafTDev

crafTDev

And this is why I want a reply from a dev. I want to know if I can create multiple different road systems and save them as prefabs. Then write my own script to load one of these road systems, then have city generator do it's run time city building. :/

Thanks anyways,
    jrDev

21. wireddev

wireddev

Sorry we were missing in action for a bit! Back now...

Hi jrDev, yes you should be able to do what you suggest in theory. Each time a road is spawned in the editor it is added to an array so traffic can be automatically spawned at runtime on it but that should be all it is used for. If you want traffic spawned at runtime on your prefab you'll need to write something similar to the spawn on runtime functionality. Not hard but doesn't exist atm for multiple prefab layouts. If you are using spawners and not using the traffic system global spawn then you don't need this functionality.

I'm sure we can work with you to get it working if it turns out for some reason this method you are suggesting doesn't work.

hopeful likes this.
  22. crafTDev

crafTDev

I appreciate the reply. Where have you been? Would be nice to know when you are MIA so people don't freak out. I will be contacting you through email.

Thanks,
    jrDev

23. willwallis

willwallis

Hi, I have a question regarding the Vehicle spawners. I am trying to stop and start them using script. I can turn them off using SetActive(false) but when I set the value to true again they won't start. I have a workaround which is to create a cube with the "TrafficSystemVehiclePlayer.cs" script attached in front of the spawner and turning it on and off (which blocks the spawner). Is there a better way to turn the spawners off and then back on again?

24. quesadillas

quesadillas

Hi wireddev, I've been looking at different traffic plugins on the unity asset store and so far yours looks like the best one! I have a few questions though, about performance. The game I'm working on is gonna take place in a pretty big city. Not GTA-big but let's say it was something in that range. Do you have the results of any stress tests? Say, how many cars can be present without experiencing a significant framerate drop?

Also, I'm using other packages like Edy's Vehicle Physics and I know currently this package isn't explicitly compatible with it, but what I'm wondering is: how do these vehicles react to a user-controlled car, in terms of their AI, or what would be a typical process of allowing their AI to sense this vehicle?

Thanks!

25. shahzad.naseem

shahzad.naseem

Hi admin,

We want to purchase this system and include it in our games but have few questions that we need to know before moving ahead. Please reply to these queries asap.
    1. Is this package supported for Unity 5.x ?
    2. Does this package also contains actual code so that if we want to do some customizations we can do that easily?
    3. How does your cars behave when collided with other objects like with user car (with physics e.g. edy's physics) or other cars?

26. wireddev

wireddev

Under the "TrafficSystemVehicleSpawner.cs" you will see it uses "IEnumerator Start()". Change this to the following and call it in your own script to start and stop the spawer.

Change:
    ------------------
    IEnumerator Start()
    ------------------

To:
    ------------------
    bool m_isSpawning = false;
    IEnumerator ProcessSpawning()
    {
    m_isSpawning = true;

( leave all the current code in for IEnumerator Start() here )

m_isSpawning = false;
    }

void StartSpawning()
    {
    if(!m_isSpawning)
    StartCoroutine( ProcessSpawning() );
    }
    ------------------

Then just call StartSpawning() when you want to start the vehicles spawning ... and write yourself a StopSpawning function.

27. wireddev

wireddev

The R&T is fairly lightweight but it also comes down to the assets you are using in the system. If you have 50 heavy scripted and polygon vehicles your using in the system then you're going to have performance issues.

As for the AI sensing the players car, just following the tutorials on our website to find out how this works: http://wireddevelopments.com/trafficsystem/documentation.php
    "FAQ 3 - How do I make my own player vehicles collide correctly with the Traffic System vehicles?"

28. wireddev

wireddev

1. This package supports Unity 5. We have tested it several times now but if you find something that doesn't work in Unity 5 please let us know and we will fix it ASAP.

2. Full source included.

3. If you add the correct script to your Player vehicle(s) then the traffic will collide with your vehicles. The tutorials on how to do this can be found here: http://wireddevelopments.com/trafficsystem/documentation.php
    "FAQ 3 - How do I make my own player vehicles collide correctly with the Traffic System vehicles?"

shahzad.naseem likes this.
  29. sds1

sds1

Hi,

Is this compatible with iOS, I purchased this but it keeps crashing because of this.

Please help.

Thanks

30. wireddev

wireddev

Yes this is compatible with iOS and Android. Please send us a support email and we will try to sort out the issue you are having. http://wireddevelopments.com/

31. sds1

sds1

Thank you for getting back to me. I have just sent email to support. Please get back to me as soon as you can as this is a big blocker for me right now.
    Thanks

32. wireddev

wireddev

For everyone using the Road and Traffic System, the next update is coming out very soon. This will feature the Pathing Pedestrian System and will be obviously a free update. You can also get the Pathing Pedestrian System via it's own package which will be on the Asset Store very soon.

Post is here about the Pathing Pedestrian System which has an introductory video and some images. The video doesn't show off all the features but it is a nice little start for people wanting to get some objects pathing randomly.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/pathing-pedestrian-system-free.355331/

John3D and hopeful like this.
  33. kilik128

kilik128

any way to remove node ?

34. quesadillas

quesadillas

Hi again!
    Thanks for your last response! I have a follow-up question about the performance of your package. What I meant was, without any personalized code, just using the default things in your package, how many frames would it run at if, say, there were 500 cars on screen? How many cars did you have running (or how many path pieces did you lay down) before you started to see a significant dip in performance? Something like that would help me get an idea of how feasible it would be to use this with what I'm working on.

Also, I have a question about possible obstacles on the road. Now that you have a pedestrian system included, I assume that the cars have some sort of way to detect if pedestrians are still crossing. Could that be applied to other objects (say, if a rock falls in the middle of the road)?
    Thanks!

35. JustusStudio

JustusStudio

Hey,

I want to buy this package. It looks great! What i need to know is if i can control a car in this package. So for example i select a car from a parkinglot and send it to a destination. Would it be possible to let that car follow the paths and stop for trafficlights etc?

36. JustusStudio

JustusStudio

Hey I bought the asset but when i press play i see the nodes in my game window. Where can i change that? Screenshot 2015-10-27 22.37.09.png

37. quesadillas

quesadillas

Weird, wireddev hasn't checked in in a long time.
    @JustusStudio I haven't figured out a shortcut to getting rid of the nodes other than actually changing the prefab to change the Mesh Filter to None on the blue/pink and the gray part. There's gotta be a flag somewhere (hopefully) but I haven't found it.

I'm having some trouble with one of the traffic lights, actually. The arrow lights to turn left NEVER turn green. I have no idea why so far. The cars that want to turn left just stay there waiting until they're automatically deleted because they never move from that spot. Has this happened to anyone?

38. hopeful

hopeful

@quesadillas - Hmm. I've not fired R&T up in a while, but as I recall left turns used to work fine. Are you finding they don't work when running a demo? If so, I guess a recent update must have broken them. :(

@JustusStudio - If you are looking for a lightweight traffic simulation, R&T should work for you. However, let me say that I don't think there are ANY plugins that will let your car automatically drive from the police station to the donut shop. When waypoint AI is mentioned with any asset store plugin, it's usually referring to AI and waypoints that keep that car on the road, not an AI that tells the car where to go in the city. That's something each of us must do for ourselves (at least for now).

39. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

I am about to give myself a Black Friday gift, and buy a traffic/pedestrian control system and a city generator. This bundle looks promising. No offence to the authors, but I have thrown more money away this year on assets that are poorly written, never mature, and end up becoming unsupported than I care to count, $20 to $100 at a time. I have to keep reminding myself that "this is only a hobby"...

Folks on the thread;
    • Is this asset bundle (R&T + City Gen) worth the investment?
    • Does the pedestrian component work as promised?
    • I have read the entire thread, and notice that WiredDev drops out for long periods of time. Are they responsive to support requests here, and through their website?
    • Does this asset have a significant impact on FPS (for argument sake, using 30 x 5k poly vehicles/peds, roaming randomly through a 500 x 500 unity-unit traffic system?
    • Are there any known issues with UFPS, RAIN-AI, UMA 2.0?
    • When I generate a city, is it runtime only, or can I save the layout from the editor? (I want consistently laid out levels.)
    I would appreciate any feedback or cautionary notes.
    Thank you,
    Mark

40. hopeful

hopeful

@Mad_Mark - If you are not a coder and are seeking only a basic traffic simulation package that will run in the background, this will probably do okay.

If you want more from the set, like to have players drive cars, then you will need to do coding.

As for being responsive to customers, I'd say they seem to be more responsive at some times than others, especially on the forum. I'm not sure about email. Responsiveness probably relates to the workload at their business. (My assumption is that the R&T plugin is a minor part of their operation.)

If you are looking at this package as being primarily the traffic control code, it should be pretty light, mainly because you can control the traffic density to keep it within your processing budget. But a lot of other things related to traffic might eat heavily into your budget, like what car models you decide to use (low poly or high poly), are you using a form of dynamic occlusion (like Instant OC) or LOD so you don't have to fully draw everything all the time, are you trying to do something with shining car lights on the road or are you merely limiting yourself to unlit shader car lights, etc.

I'm not aware of any conflicts with this and other software.

41. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

Thanks for the reply. Not afraid of coding, I generally tweak what I buy, but a tad lazy when it comes to rolling my own traffic simulator. 8)

I am looking to provide background movement more than anything else. There is a requirement to permit player use of parked cars, but I'm not building GTA-version 216. The fact that this system contains a player vehicle "recognition" script is probably enough for my current needs.

I just want to add some life and randomness to the environment by creating some traffic and general pedestrian activity. Just keep the AI from crashing through the player, take the occasional bump from player, find a path from where you are to somewhere else, and move there. Stop at traffic lights, and avoid hitting pedestrians. I don't care if once they leave the camera's view they are destroyed. Ability to lay down a road that either conforms to, or actually adjusts the terrain would be nice, but not entirely necessary.

As it stands, I have banged out 5 outdoor and 3 indoor levels using the usual NavMesh, LOD, occlusion, etc. for optimization. Currently I am seeing 80 to 100+ FPS with scenery assets, a hundred static objects (buildings, ladders, 3 particle emitters, and a handful of script & trigger animated doors. When I add the array of tools (UFPS, RAIN-AI, Terrain Composer), I still see 60 - 70 FPS on average. I want to be conscious and conscientious about FPS going forward. 50+ FPS would be an acceptable target.

Cheers,
    Mark

42. hopeful

hopeful

@Mad_Mark - Then I think R&T will work for you. Just browse the videos first to see how the roads are created, so you see how it's done. I haven't played with this kit in a while, but as I recall most of the stuff was fairly straightforward. You can set speed limits on your roads, you can scoot the turning point on the cars forward so the turns look less artificial, and you can add a component to other cars and pedestrians, enabling the R&T system to "see" them and respond accordingly.

As for City Gen, I don't have that, and it seems to me it has had less work done on it. I think it's primarily for creating background or flyover urban scenery, and in that case could be a huge time saver. For the up-close stuff that players would interact with, you'll want to place buildings and other objects by hand. (Which is probably pretty much what you'd expect to do anyway.)

43. NeoUnity

NeoUnity

I have purchased this asset.
    I have the other asset which has its own road textures.
    I want to add only R&T system except the road textures(Original, HD, Mobile of R&T)
    After Inactivation all the "road","road-2","road-2-mobile" (child GameObjects of "Models" ),
    Then I can't select the parent GameObject because these are not invisble.
    1) Road textures of R&T are visible on Editor mode.
    2) Road textures of R&T are not used on Build.
    How can i solve it?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  44. NeoUnity

NeoUnity

I have Android Build Error.
    Assets/Traffic System/Scripts/TrafficSystemNode.cs(128,0): error CS1517: Invalid preprocessor directive
    - #elif
    ShowRenderers(false);

<Edit>
    My Fix :
    #elif UNITY_ANDROID
    ShowRenderers(false);

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  45. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

Picked both up last night. I've been knocking them around in a test scene since 7pm last night. Is there any way to get rid of the dark blue boundary box? It makes it impossible to tell which section has the anchor or edit icon on it, and none of the videos show that box? Took a while to figure out the linking, and there seems to be an issue with the "snap-to" for what appear to be uniform shaped tiles. When I build a loop, the final corner always misses the joint on the first-placed straight, yet everything else seems to be aligned.

Yes, it is less polished. Ships with 3 "cubes" for buildings placeholders. I was kind of disappointed with that right out of the gate. Oh well, whaddya want for $25, rubber banana? The documentation is rather thin, and I don't seem to see anything that discusses integration between the 2 assets, or how to figure out the best settings for building alignment with the freshly laid streets. The city doesn't seem to stay within the constraints of the red box, but that may be due to the origin of my rushed building models. I will have to check and correct any origin issues with my own assets.

Yep, I was hoping this would get me a quick layout, so I could pop in and customize where I want my landmarks and enterable assets. Can't expect the package to do a full on level design for me. My first few attempts at this gave me poor results. I think it is just a wetware issue, operator error, loose nut behind the keyboard. I just need to understand it better I think.

First impression, pretty cool assets, but not fully integrated. I will provide the author with feedback and suggestions.

hopeful likes this.
  46. quesadillas

quesadillas

@Mad_Mark what do you mean by a "dark blue boundary box"? I don't think I've seen that when I use the project (then again, I have R&T but not CityGen). Could you put up a screenshot?

As an update to my own issue, after looking at the source code for a while, I saw that the arrows on a stoplight are changed if two things happen: it senses a car come up and stop in front of it, and some pedestrian counter isn't at maximum. Since I'm not using the pedestrian system (I'm using a modified ShooterAI for that). I commented out that counter, and added in some Debug logs... and it works now? Maybe it was the counter. I'll have to test it more to be sure.

Has anyone added their own vehicles to the package yet though? I'm using Edy's cars, so I was able to switch in an Edy's prefab into the system by setting it up similar to the given R&T car and making a script that enables and disables different features. For the most part it works fine but for some reason, the sphere used to detect cars in front doesn't work 100% of the time. Look at the picture below: the red spheres are what detect collisions with cars in front, so that the car will stop. These are all the same prefab with the exact same settings, including the same offset. However, at runtime, the sphere is in completely different places but they all still have the same offset in their settings! It's very odd, I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. My current theory is that, since the sphere is defined at the top level, and the car's other features are in the child objects of the prefab, maybe something is getting pushed back/forward and messing up the offsets. I'll let you all know if I figure out the issue.

hopeful likes this.
  47. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

Picture's worth a thousand words. Here's yappin' atcha.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!AMCgsBlFNPEiVlg&v=3&ithint=photo,PNG
    Damn OneDrive never posts an image. That's the link to it too.

I'm just doing a few vehicle models, so sometime this week I hope to test out the traffic sim.
    Mark

48. hopeful

hopeful

The box looks like it's associated with the intersection. Since it wasn't in previous versions, maybe it is part of the pedestrian system ...?

49. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

No, it appears on every road piece. If the Traffic System root is selected, the whole thing lights up.
    Funny, after starting a new scene, it stopped. I haven't restarted Windows or Unity, it just seems to have stopped. Gotta keep an eye on that.

QUESTIONS: Am I missing something, or is this road creation exercise very tedious? Is there a way to speed it up? It seems my workflow is roughly:
    1) Start a scene.
    2) Create a terrain.
    3) Drop my first road piece (usually a "+" in the center).
    // Repeat Loop Start
    4) Select the end of the "+" and click, click, click the Anchor spot icon until I find the one that I want to start with.
    5) Select the lane filter.
    6) Carefully locate the correct road piece by its description.
    7) Flip it around the connectors because it is never connected to the right point, even on a 2 point straight away.
    8) Flip its X around twice, because it is always pointing the wrong direction.
    9) Scroll up and select the "Quick Spawn" option to not have to repeat 7-8 above.
    10) Carefully locate the correct road piece by its description.
    11) Click a bunch of times to get the number of straights required.
    12) Turn off "Quick Spawn".
    13) Add the next flavor to change direction or add an intersection.
    14) Repeat from 4 or 5 until roads complete.
    // Repeat Loop End
    15) Examine each and every piece for alignment issues.
    16) Examine each and every piece for linking issues.
    17) Examine each and every piece for traffic flow issues.
    18) Add a spawner and test a few vehicles.
    19) Watch for messages in the console or odd activity that indicate 15 - 17 may need repeating.
    20) Generate a city!

To me this looks like a rather convoluted workflow. Especially considering that many of the steps are part of a repeat loop.

is anything being done to reduce this workflow, or is there a better one that I should be following?
    - For instance, should I be creating a straight away that is a specific distance and duplicating it rather than creating it over and over manually, one piece at a time?
    - Can I save sections out as prefabs that I can pop in as required?
    - Is there some option or tool that can check alignment and spacing for me, and either correct the misalignment or at least take me to the root offending tile?
    - Can the system highlight places where you have [( )] 2 traffic flow indicators on the same connectivity ball, or pink to blue link recognition?
    - Can the system be made to drop the next road piece with blue lined up with blue, and pink lined up with pink?
    - If blue and pink are not intended to be flow indicators, what the hell are they? Why have them link opposite at all?

EDIT: I have started an issues document with specific issues, possible solutions, recommendations and feature requests. I will forward along to the dev's email address.

50. hopeful

hopeful

Road creation using R&T is tedious. I don't see it as being realistic for a project of more than a few roads. I imagine most people only need a few roads, and can spend a few days building them out.

I've been hoping that when EasyRoads3D v3 finally comes out of beta, some of the various traffic systems like R&T would make their tools work with it. Then road creation would be muuuuuuuuuch faster.