Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games Road to Glory - Promises of glory proof false as German artillery observers try to survive WWII

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by RvtL, Mar 3, 2022.

1. RvtL

RvtL

Hi all, For a bit over two years now I've been working on a game / personal project about World War II. My goal is to create a game which includes combat but is about surviving the war. Not achieving victory, glory or anything like that. You can check it out for free on Itch.io and Game Jolt.

"Promises of glory proof false as German artillery observers try to survive the brutal tank battles of World War II."

Road to Glory is an authentic World War II singleplayer game about a unit of German artillery observers. Try to survive from the first all the way to the last days of the war. Without the means to fight your enemy directly.
    • Take part in large-scale battles on the Eastern and Western front.
    • Command a unit of scout cars and halftracks.
    • Call in artillery on enemy tanks and other units.
    • Encounter anything from the Soviet Katyusha to the German Tiger.

Road to Glory is told from the perspective of a German unit. Experience just how quickly their war, fought in the name of an evil regime, turned into a struggle for survival. How even their early victories were costly and how their advanced technology was far from superior.

Roadmap
    Currently I have the following on the roadmap:
    • Expanding on the story.
    • Adding more gameplay mechanics like choosing artillery type etc.
    • Adding early and late war battles.
    About
    Since my game design experience is mostly limited to level design, I relied on assets available in the Unity Asset Store to create this game. It's based on Physics Tank Maker. Other assets include environment assets by NatureManufacture, Microsplat, Vegetation Studio Pro and Overcloud (deprecated).

Feedback
    Let me know what you think! You can download the game for free on Itch.io. I'm interested in hearing what you think about gameplay, any issues you run into etc.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
  2. RvtL

RvtL

The last couple of months I've been working on gameplay improvements and some new content for Road to Glory. The new release, version 0.25, is now available for free on Itch.io.

My main focus was giving the player more feedback about what is happening. Showing a hit indicator, showing where combat is taking place on the map and giving more hints about where the enemy might be.

I also added new vehicles. Partly to entice existing players to try out the game again. But of course also to make the game more varied and interesting. Especially the Katyusha rocket launcher and half tracks equipped with mortars add an extra dimension to the battlefield.

For the next update I already have quite a list of additional improvements, features etc. It's tricky to decide what to put in a release and what to keep for future releases. The list of tweaks which only take a couple of minutes is endless :D But I think this release feels fairly complete, while not being too far from the previous one.

3. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Well I will say this, I’m not crazy about playing a Nazi in a game called “Road to Glory”.

MoonJellyGames likes this.
  4. RvtL

RvtL

My goal with this game is to show that there is no glory. I try to make this clear with the logo, diary entries and making the game about survival (not winning). But I can probably make this clearer up front as well. Good point!

So just to clarify, this game is very much anti-nazi and anti-war.

5. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

No, and I understand as much. I’m just saying you can’t assume people will give you that much leeway not knowing you.

6. RvtL

RvtL

True, I'll make this clearer in the game description.

7. MathewHI

MathewHI

So the Nazis achieve glory by not being killed by the Americans?

8. RvtL

RvtL

Did you not read the posts above? As I mentioned before the game is about the lack of glory.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  9. MathewHI

MathewHI

Oh I see so its a kind of mocking of the German soldier like your holding a carrot in front of his nose saying here is the glory that you've never going to receive. I get it now.

10. RvtL

RvtL

That's right, I've updated the title and first post to hopefully make this clearer.

On a different note, I've been posting devlogs on Itch.io of my progress. For starters a post about the Panzer II...

...late-war German tanks like the Tiger...

...and vehicles used by the newly added British.

11. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I think you really ought to change the name.

It’s clearly giving you problems already.

12. RvtL

RvtL

Since I only got this response here I still suspect it's the thread title and lack of context.

13. RvtL

RvtL

Hi all,

Last week I released the latest version of Road to Glory on Itch.io and Game Jolt. It's quite a big update with new battles, vehicles and improved gameplay. Based on the feedback in this thread I've also changed the key art (thumbnails, banners), tagline and description. To better communicate the idea behind the game.

Check out the trailer or see the first post in this thread for more information.

After the last update I realized that I had to focus more on giving the player clear objectives. I started out with objective markers, fog of war and some other ideas. But after some trial and error I figured out that the reconnaissance concept just wasn't working. What worked a lot better was keeping the player close to friendly units and the action. And letting them directly support those friendly units with artillery.

Something that went a bit better was adding the new battles. I use World Machine to generate heightmaps. Once I import it in Unity I proceduraly add terrain materials and vegetation using Microsplat and Vegetation Studio Pro. It's really nice to add new levels without having to invest a lot of time per level.