Search Unity

Road Architect: Roads, intersections and bridges for Unity [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MicroGSD, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

Any projections for ANY update? MicroGSD, where the heck are you?

2. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

When I found this project I fell in love with it

I think that there will not be any new update and this is now this is a FREE asset, because it has been abandoned and is really a great pity, because this seems to be a very good and interesting road maker that is advanced and very easy to use with interesting features, but it seems that the author had problems and now this project is left out

I do not know the author, and do not know the reasons that why this project has been abandoned.

Really would love that this project could be kept alive, but I do not think this will happen

3. INfinity1729

INfinity1729

Just a problem, I don't have the "Road Architect" menu in the tool bar and the console is showing a lot of problems.
    Help Please.

4. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

Yeah, I know. This tool had much promise, and the author stated publicly that it would be supported and developed until 2016 at least. It showed enough promise that I paid for it _JUST_ before it went free. If I hadn't been watching this thread for fixes and update announcements I wouldn't have known that it was now free. Extremely disappointing, especially with the statement above and the claim that several components were guaranteed to be wrapped up into the next release, like traffic management and the like. Let's hope the author has a sense of responsibility, and lives up to a couple of promises made. Times being what they are, and with the shortage of good, honest people with conscience, I can only hope.

Mark

5. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

Try Window>RoadArchitect - The warnings in the console are just telling you that some of the scripts are obsolete to Unity 5

6. Marek_Bakalarczuk

Marek_Bakalarczuk

Is it working in Unity5?
    Terrain doesn't interact with two last nodes

7. Angiel

Angiel

Hi
    Has anyone found a solution to empty Wizard? I have already tried to re-import the package.
    Unfortunately, it happens to me.
    I use Unity vers. 4.6.1

8. Baseggio

Baseggio

Hi everyone,

I'm stuck into the problem with white roads since hours. I've read the solution suggested (that seems to work for Unity 5.2 64 bit) "Try to set the main color value from the road texturing to a lower value" but I don't understand how to apply it.

Which setting do I have to change?

Thanks for the help!

PS: About the problem of importing this asset, the "Road Architect menu" doesn't appear anymore on Unity 5.2, to create a new Road Architect system go to "Window -> Road Architect -> Create road system".

9. Tiki

Tiki

If you require Unity 5 for your project, seek another solution for city building for now. Intersections will not work correctly and it is very poorly optimized. The greatest advantage to seek from a program like this is a natural/organic road feeling (hence the spline use). A set of 6 nodes from 2 road systems making 1 intersection creates 46 setpass calls with terrain included, and runs over 100 batches. The intersection will also break. I'm sure it works great in 4.6, give it a try if you can use an outdated version of Unity. If you don't need intersections or Unity 5, approach cautiously, it does create a large number of draw calls.

The functionality is very intuitive and detailed, when updated for Unity 5, I'm very eager to see it in action.

10. DiegoBricksESP

DiegoBricksESP

I like create a new juctions and intersections: Roundabouts, motorways, dual carriageways and make an update for Unity 5.

Attached Files:

• R402.png
      R402.png
      File size:
      16.1 KB
      Views:
    • P4.png
      P4.png
      File size:
      16 KB
      Views:
  11. oppong

oppong

hi am newbie and i have been trying to create a road with road architect but the yellow markers on the road is not showing.Thanks in advance.

12. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

When did you purchase RA?

13. Frogger007

Frogger007

Is it possible to save the roads and bridges 'Road Architect' has created as mesh ?

14. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

The asset is no longer available on the asset store. It is only available if you previously had got a copy.

15. anis1987

anis1987

Hello,

I'm trying to change position of road nodes, so I used the method _gSDRoadSystem.UpdateAllRoads() in my script for updating road.

My script is running on the Unity Editor but I cannot build it.
    Also, is it possible to draw a new road using just C# script (without using editor)?

Please, is there any solution to do that.

Thank you

16. Spoutnik

Spoutnik

Hey Frogger,

Sorry I'm a noob but I don't understand how to edit the main color value. I've tried changing the material for the road in "road marker material" to 'GSD White Yellow Double 4L' and 'GSD Tire Marks' to 'GSD Tire Marks 4L', however when I click on "update roads" it just reverts back to the version without the 4L.

Could you please elaborate on how we can do this to avoid having the roads just look grey, without any textures/lanes?

Thank you very much!

17. Spoutnik

Spoutnik

Hello,

How were you able to change the color value for the lanes/textures to appear? I don't understand how to edit the main color value. I've tried changing the material for the road in "road marker material" to 'GSD White Yellow Double 4L' and 'GSD Tire Marks' to 'GSD Tire Marks 4L', however when I click on "update roads" it just reverts back to the version without the 4L.

Could you please explain how you were able to do it?

Thank you very much!

18. Frogger007

Frogger007

Hi Spoutnik,

i come back to you in the next 3 days !

19. Frogger007

Frogger007

Hello Spoutnik,

now the solution for your problem.

first, in the moment i'am using Unity3D 5.0.2f.

After i have imported road architect i see this:

You must select a road mark piece and then set change the maincolor value from the GSDRoadDetailOverlay to an darker value.

Final Result:

Don't forget the quality settings:

I hope this was the right answer for your question !

Attached Files:

20. Frogger007

Frogger007

Hello chaozz,

this effect depends on your quality settings.

Picture1:

Picture2:

Additional you can set Anti Aliasing to '8 X Multi Sampling' !

I hope this helps !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  21. Frogger007

Frogger007

You can change the texture import settings for a better result.

To:

Attached Files:

22. Frogger007

Frogger007

Look my last posts !

23. sailormonkey

sailormonkey

This product says it's no longer available on the Unity store. Did the developer stop supporting this product? If so, where can i get this product now?

24. hopeful

hopeful

You can't. The closest analogue is EasyRoads3D, which is still being developed, and which also has a free version in addition to a paid version.

600 likes this.
  25. Frogger007

Frogger007

I think 'NOWHERE' !

Perhaps, you can try your luck and get in contact with the developer with this email.adress:
    support@microgsd.com

26. Raptor8

Raptor8

guys i have this issue in unity 5.5, any one can figure out solution ?
    i think the mesh renderer and multi material is my problem

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      28.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      25.6 KB
      Views:
  27. malcolm341

malcolm341

Hi there, just wondering does the tool allow you to import .fbx files which serve as source meshes to create the road from? For example I'm looking to create my own custom intersections and then extrude the road from the intersections, is that possible, I'd like to have control of UV mapping and subdivions inside of Maya then use the tool to extrude the geometry along the spline. And also does it only work on terrain or could I use it on a simple plane with box collider?

28. MicroGSD

MicroGSD

RabidBat, Meceka, radimoto and 3 others like this.
  29. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

GOOD ON YA @MicroGSD !! There is always hope. I am so glad that this promising app persists. Thank you.
    Mark

hopeful likes this.
  30. michaelf2016

michaelf2016

It doesn't work in latest version of unity. I think that it is a great asset and the fact that it is free definitely gives it, in my opinion at least, the potential to be THE BEST unity road asset. If you were to make it work with the latest version of unity I believe that tons of people, including myself, would gladly download it.

31. JBR-games

JBR-games

Glad to see your still supporting this..

32. jfox21381

jfox21381

Can anyone tell me how to take the stuff from GitHub and add it to unity for use? I'm fairly new to all of this and I'd really like to try out this amazing looking road system. Thanks!

33. digimbyte

digimbyte

It's great you are still working on this! Fantastic.
    but I have a question - could this work on runtime/stand alone?
    I'm making a sandbox game and it would be nice to have people use this to create their own cities/transit systems.

thanks

34. Behzad65

Behzad65

you can download the folder and drag it into asset folder.

35. SquadraCorse

SquadraCorse

This looks like a great project and I'm glad it's still being worked on.

I downloaded the zip from GitHub, extracted it, and copied the folder into the Assets folder of a test project. Using 'Create Road System' did create the road objects, but the default road materials were all missing from Road1 in the inspector. I noticed that the path was "Assets\RoadArchitect\" (not "RoadArchitect-master") so I started over and renamed the folder before copying it to Assets. This time the default materials were there but when I created the road, it was pink. Looking at the materials revealed that all the default shaders had lost their textures, and all the custom shaders were missing.

Am I doing something wrong or missing some steps in the process? If so, what do I need to do to import the materials with the shader and texture references in-tact? Alternatively, would it be possible to include an Asset Bundle with the project on GitHub so that we could just import that?

PS - If it makes any difference I'm using 5.5.0f3

36. Claw7557

Claw7557

I have been using Road architect for years I still use it to this day, but it seems that you have Gavin up on the Road Architect project, no uploads on your YouTube and no post on the Unity Foums, you took the asset down from the store, and the GitHub link is outdated , your product has stopped working with Unity 5.6 I am sad to see this asset go please keep doing your magic and please keep road architect updated, I've been looking forward to the rail road and Highway update for months. I love your work and the community love it to, but if you stop working than this asset will go downhill fast please continue the road Architect asset

Thanks in Advance

37. sharkapps

sharkapps

Hello @CalebL57,

If you look through the issues on github, you will note that several others have reported the missing materials problem you describe, but all of those seem to be resolved by downloading the .unitypackage release. See this github issue for more info: https://github.com/MicroGSD/RoadArchitect/issues/1.

I have RoadArchitect working in Unity 5.6.2f1, so if you find other issues, file them on github and hopefully others can help you there.

Best regards

38. stationTime

stationTime

Anyone modified it to work in runtime to drag roads, city builder style? Or know of an asset that supports it?

39. Jaimons

Jaimons

please help me ,

I was downloaded the RoadArchitect complete files but I don't know how to open this in unity ,And I can't find any setup files in the RoadArchitect . Their is only class files and some other folders Guys plz Help me.

40. Meceka

Meceka

Github project is missing meta files, it means references are lost in unity. Download the asset package from here instead; RoadArchitect-1-6.unitypackage
    https://github.com/MicroGSD/RoadArchitect/releases

41. NVJOB

NVJOB

The intersection of roads does not work.

The intersection of roads does not work.png

I managed to solve the problem. I uploaded RoadArchitect-master.zip
    RodArchitect-1-6.unitipaskage is defective.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  42. JDrem1

JDrem1

Can anyone please let me know.

Does this still work in 2018.
    And if so what am I doing wrong.

I DL'ed the Unity plug-in from git-hub, (RoadArchitect-1-6.unitypackage) Then followed the first 1-2 steps. (literally) just trying to place 20 feet of road on a test scene.

But As soon as I place a few points,- (no road shows, only the green waypoint "posts.") -a flashing pop-up box appears in the game window, saying "gsd road update."

This continues for a few minutes, having completely locked Unity up, then it stops.
    But as soon as I do anything else...
    Apply more waypoints. (but still no actual road) or even click on one of the existing waypoints, the flashing box appears again, and it locks up again for few minutes ..rinse and repeat.

I have tried hitting "update all roads" both form the road script. and the Windows menu, no effect.

Is it just that it does not work in 2018?

Any ideas anyone please?

43. ofusion

ofusion

I think RoadArchitect need add support for predefined custom intersections, because sometimes the auto intersection may be not desirable.

44. JDrem1

JDrem1

@ofusion

Hi.

Is RoadArchitect working for you in Unity 2018?

I am getting the errors I have described in the post above yours.

Any ideas how to solve these please?

45. ofusion

ofusion

I use unity 5.6.4, and have not try RoadArchitect in 2018

46. JDrem1

JDrem1

Oh right..

Thank you so much for the information. Maybe it just doesn't work in 2018.:(

If you do ever try 2018, and managed to get it working, please let me know.
    Its such a brilliant asset, and would be a real pity of it wont work in 2018.

Thank you again.:)

47. jdm4344

jdm4344

Hi @Dayn1,

I've found this plugin recently and have been working with it for about the last week using Unity 2018.1.0f2. I haven't tried it with any previous versions, so I can't speak to how it's "supposed" to work, but I've also been experiencing the same lockups when placing nodes. However, the roads have been generating for me, albeit with frequent errors that I have to fix either by replacing road sections entirely or modifying my terrain and then manually updating the affected section. As far as I can tell, the GSD Road Update popup and at least some small delay (but definitely not a several minute delay) is normal behavior.

If you already have a large number of objects in your scene besides the road system, it cuts down on the update time significantly if you hide everything except your road system and Terrain objects. The best workflow would probably be to model terrain and roads first and then build the remainder of your scene around it once you have them finalized. I also recommend hiding the gizmos on road sections that you are no longer working with. For reference, the terrain in my project is around 2400x2300 with not much height variation.

It's also a possibility the major lockups you're experiencing is related to your computer's hardware. Although, I'm actually using a fairly outdated system [i7-3820 @3.6GHz, 16gb DDR3, GTX 680] and unless I'm working with a large road (around 12+ nodes), my updates usually don't take longer than 30 seconds. The only things I can think of that might affect your performance is if your computer lacks a dedicated graphics card or has even more outdated hardware.

Hope this gives you some food for thought and encourages you to keep trying to get it to work.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  48. sharkapps

sharkapps

Hi @reset86 where did you upload your updated package, or can you describe what you did to fix it?

Best regards,
    Tony

49. jdm4344

jdm4344

For those who see this before the Github page, the maintainers for RoadArchitect released an update for Unity 2018 support a couple days ago. They haven't created a new release package yet, but you can just copy the files into your assets folder. The one issue I've discovered so far is a simple fix. If you have yet to upgrade to 2018.2+, you'll need to go to GSDRootUtil.cs and change line 76 from
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_2018_1_OR_NEWER
    to
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_2018_2_OR_NEWER
    as the line that follows it uses a function that is not available pre-2018.2.

@Dayn1 The issues you were experiencing should be fixed with this new update.

Happy road building all!

hopeful likes this.