Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Road Architect: Roads, intersections and bridges for Unity [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MicroGSD, Mar 5, 2014.

1. hopeful

hopeful

It's free now. Fortunately or unfortunately.

2. Frogger007

Frogger007

Mad_Mark: "I did whip up a quick series of roads as posted above, but the errors when you start intersecting at more than a few points are just intolerable."

Can you show some of this failures as snapshot ?

3. snowcult

snowcult

Wow, i feel ripped off.

I bought it a month ago, it's barely useable and it's now free.

OnePxl likes this.
  4. Frogger007

Frogger007

wheretheidivde,

try to set the main color value from the road texturing to a lower value.

Spoutnik likes this.
  5. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

OMG, it's FREE? Argh! Guess the author managed to pay his tuition. Oh well, guess I got 20 bucks worth out of it. I now have another good reason to improve my coding skills. 8)

6. snowcult

snowcult

I've requested a refund on this asset. I've spent about a grand on the asset store, and this is my first complaint. Hopefully they refund me.

7. Frogger007

Frogger007

wheretheidivde,

you can lower the terrain with the unity terrain tool.

Use very low values !

The two nodes who are used to build an intersection must have the same Y-Position value, the same high !

8. Brainswitch

Brainswitch

Your roads Y value is too close to the terrain. I haven't used RA yet, so I don't know exactly which value you need to change. Perhaps increase Height subtraction (under Terrain options) - but it feels like you should be able to increase the Y distance between your road and your terrain some other way.

9. cruising

cruising

Same here, bought it like 2-3 months ago i think.
    And its now free because he will stop support this asset i guess...and if so, he could at leasr fix the bugs to make it usefull.

10. Frogger007

Frogger007

In the moment i'am building this with road architect !

Usefull asset ? Yes, it has it'a worth !

Attached Files:

• Road.jpg
      Road.jpg
      File size:
      88.7 KB
      Views:
  11. Frogger007

Frogger007

wheretheidivide: "Hey, how did you get the roads to intersect?"

Picture: Intersection1.jpg
    It shows to nodes i wan't use to build a intersection.

Picture: Intersection2.jpg
    I copy the Y-Value from one node to the other node.

Picture: Intersection3.jpg
    Then i move one of the nodes linear to the target node.

Hint: Save everytime your scene before you build an intersection !!! Don't move an intersection !!!

Attached Files:

12. MicroGSD

MicroGSD

Email us at support@microgsd.com for any refund requests. Include invoice #

We've always offered refunds no questions asked. Most people refuse the refund when we offer it. The email is listed in multiple areas: website, asset store and this thread multiple times.

We even offer refunds outside of the required 14 day window if you provide your paypal address in the email.

If you're not happy- request a refund to support@microgsd.com and I'll happily refund you're money. Include invoice #.

We do plan on updating Road Architect for Unity 5 at some point but there is a lot of work that needs done so I do not have a timeline.

AlexSledge, OnePxl and hopeful like this.
  13. hopeful

hopeful

Glad to hear from you and to see there is a plan for continued support! :)

14. cruising

cruising

Intersections duplicates under the terrain, the mesh deform the texture on intersections, stop signs dont show up when playing, edge extra objects/signs dont work except from the beams etc.

Sometimes when you delete a node the terrain dont reset as it was, hard to make the intersektions match your own texture on the road because of the splited textures.

Sp the intersektions need some serious work.

Except from these bugs i love this asset, and will not take refund if the developer fix these things.

15. Frogger007

Frogger007

"stop signs dont show up when playing ..."

Give them a collider !

16. DiegoBricksESP

DiegoBricksESP

Can you please make a roundabouts, highways an European Roads for Road Architect.

17. Frogger007

Frogger007

... and tower bridges, like there in London !

And roads with railroad crossing !

18. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

If you're not happy- request a refund to support@microgsd.com and I'll happily refund you're money. Include invoice #.

We do plan on updating Road Architect for Unity 5 at some point but there is a lot of work that needs done so I do not have a timeline.[/QUOTE]

THERE YOU ARE!!! I would rather not request a refund, as I said in this thread, I managed to whip up some roads rather quickly, learned a lot in process, but ran into some common issues with intersections, twisted roads on the wrong axis, munged up meshes, and pretty much what others have reported. Then there was the dead air issue, no replies to emails, and you gotta admit, you've been quiet...

I was working in Unity 4.x, and have as of last week, upped to U5. I do hope this product gets updates, works in U5, and that it was profitable while you were charging for it. If the kinks can get worked out of it, I won't have to spring for another road generating asset. I'll be a happy camper, and consider other assets that you may have to offer. I hope the same is true for the rest of the folks on this thread.

Please keep us updated on U5 developments, progress, and bugfixes. It may be a free asset now, but those that have supported you still have an investment in this product.

Mark

19. PerfectlyInsane

PerfectlyInsane

Was there any resolution with the blurry yellow road markings

20. PerfectlyInsane

PerfectlyInsane

Ok I found the solution. Open the "Markers\Textures" folder and change all the textures to advance and turn of mip maps

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  21. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

When is the next version update expected? Will it include fixes for the intersection problems, and include the AI traffic tool?

Thanks,
    Mark

22. PFernandes

PFernandes

Hey all

I've been trying to use Road Architect for a uni project but i cannot seem to import it properly. I go to the asset store, download and then import but some errors show up and i never get the the "Road Architect" menu on the top bar alongside "file, gameobject" and all that other stuff.
    I tried it with Unity 5 and then Unity 4.6.1 and it never works. Maybe Windows has issues. I've been trying everything but i cant seem to get it right.

Could anyone please help?

Cheers

23. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

24. PerfectlyInsane

PerfectlyInsane

Just turn off the mips mapping but this will result in some jaggered line marking in the distance due to inadequate anti-aliasing..

And turning off dx11 will fix problems with dark roads. A bug i noticed your also have.

25. skiper

skiper

hi!
    i have a problem...
    my wizard is completely empty.
    How can I import the objects into it?

26. ZJP

ZJP

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  27. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

Yes, the line endings are "inconsistent". Converting them should pose no problem.
    The error should tell you what needs to be replaced, and the syntax for the new replacement code. I just copy and paste then adjust the parameters to match the original, BUT these are just warnings, the code should still actually work until completely phased out by Unity.

The Road Arch code hasn't been updated in a while. No response to multiple enquiries about next version and the inclusion of promised additions and fixes. The author(s) pop in once in a while it seems though.

If anyone is interested, is there anyway we can help MicroGSD update this code? It's free now, I assume because it's a challenge to their quality of life, so maybe it's time to solicit assistance from the community?

Mark

28. skiper

skiper

my edge objects wizard is empty.
    how i import the objects in it?

29. PerfectlyInsane

PerfectlyInsane

They should all be there. I'd try and re-import the whole package again.

30. skiper

skiper

i've already tried to reimport it. but still the same problem,the wizard is completely empty!

31. mgiambrone43

mgiambrone43

I downloaded the product yesterday and all roads appear white in color, not rendering properly.
    I had sent an email to support but haven't heard back yet.
    I do believe others were having similar issues but not sure what the fix was.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

32. PerfectlyInsane

PerfectlyInsane

Unity 5.0 is not supported. Please use the latest 4.6 version. If you want to use things like profiling you can always make a copy of your project and test it out in 5.0 and then make the changes in 4.6 version

33. mgiambrone43

mgiambrone43

Thank you. Changing the color to a darker value per frogger seemed to do the trick.

34. Nander

Nander

Hey all!

I am using road architect on Unity5 and i've seen that people have had problems.
    When i create the road it does not render, i just get everthing in white. I am aware that other people got the same problem.
    I did change the code like frogger007 suggested in the GSD.RoadUtility script but nothing happens. I also dont understand why the code is all in light grey like they were comments. I also clicked yes when i was asked to convert the line endings but it didnt do anything.
    I am kinda new to this thing so i dont know a lot yet.

Thanks a lot for the help

PS: wheretheidivides ive seen your previous answer, i eventually made it work after a while, but pretty much i couldnt find where the Road Architect menu on my UNity interface

35. Nander

Nander

...but about the issue that the roads show up all in white, and they dont get rendered in Unity 5, did anyone find a solution?

36. Nander

Nander

Maybe it's because i have the 64-bit version. ill try it on a 32-bit and see what happens

37. N3w_3rA

N3w_3rA

Hello, I have a question about this asset. I've downloaded it and it is really cool so far, but when I try to open the Wizard for extrusion objects or bridge prefabs, nothing shows up.
    It looks like this:
    Problem.PNG
    I don't know if this is a problem because I am using Unity 5, or if I need to re-import. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

38. Brenden

Brenden

Hi, This is a really cool asset but It seems to have some compatibility issues with Unity 5. The default road material shows up white, creating bridges doesn't work, and it seems to have a few bugs.

If anybody knows how to create working bridges and knows how to change the road texture back to black, please help.

Thanks

39. PerfectlyInsane

PerfectlyInsane

In the end i just edited the gsdroaddetailoverlay1.png texture using Gimp. By adjusting the contrast and brightness.

I've attached it here however my version may be at half resolution as mine is made for mobile. Depending on your road type it may not use this file.

oh and a black texture road may be caused by bugs in your settings.

Note: That will this asset frame rates went from 35 frames a second in Unity 4.6 to 12 frames a second when running Unity 5.02 on a nexus 2013. So there is certainly some performance issues.

Attached Files:

40. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

Does anyone experience bugs when they try to make a intersection with a four lane road and a two lane road?

41. R. R. Moraes

R. R. Moraes

Every time I try to do an intersection I get this kind of result, anybody can help me?
    erro.png

42. chaozz

chaozz

Ok, I really need help getting Road Architect working in Unity5.

Right now the roads in my game look like this:

I have two simple questions.

1. To fix the white color at the end of the road I've read that I need to change the alpha color to a darker color, but where do I find this setting? I've tried changing the MainColor of the GDSRoad1 material, but that doesn't help.

2. Why does the road look so undetailed 10 meters away from me and how do I fix this?

Any help would be awesome!

43. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

I get this aswell, maybe trying to mess around with the road material might help?

44. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

@chaozz I had a look at your website and your game looks awesome! Would really like to play.

Also while I was looking in the screenshots do you ever think about making the texture size for the terrain smaller?

45. elias_t

elias_t

Raise the anisotropic filtering value of the texture.

46. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

Also with this asset, is there a way to actually move the road on the Y (up/down) axis? Cheers

47. chaozz

chaozz

Where in Unity would you set that? I didn't have this problem in Unity 4 by the way.

Can you add me on skype or something? Perhaps we can work together fixing this. h2k.chaozz is my username.

Thank you! It's playable, so download and try it. And any suggestion is welcome!

48. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

Awesome I'll add you soon! Just busy trying to get build out on GameJolt

49. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

MicroGSD
    When is the next version update expected?
    Will it include fixes for the intersection problems, and include the AI traffic tool as promised?

Thanks,
    Mark

50. workingman247

workingman247

Any projections for a Unity 5 update?