Search Unity

Road Architect: Roads, intersections and bridges for Unity [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MicroGSD, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Extrakun

Extrakun

We have just gotten the plugin and have been trying to get it to work in web player too. Can anyone share some info on what can be done? I can look at the source code , just need an idea of it I just need to wrapped some code around complier directive.

2. Unplug

Unplug

this look really nice, i'll keep an eye on that one. Big applause for the developper

3. Marek_Bakalarczuk

Marek_Bakalarczuk

Does anyone knows how to decrease intersection creation radius?????

4. Meceka

Meceka

I asked that simple question to developer looong time ago and didn't receive an answer. This project is abandoned, if anyone is willing to purchase please consider that you won't receive updates nor support and it's full of bugs.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  5. Marek_Bakalarczuk

Marek_Bakalarczuk

Great. Is there any suitable solution for roads drawing with side objects? EasyRoads don't draw intersections

6. droderick

droderick

I don't understand why so many people are not happy with this plugin, yet it gets four stars on the asset store. This plugin has cuased wasted many days worth of work and thousands of dollars.

7. hopeful

hopeful

I think the good reviews happened early on with this kit based on the direction it was heading, but as development efforts dwindled asset owners didn't return to change their reviews.

8. Meceka

Meceka

There were many promises about this asset, many new features in the big May update, then that update was delayed to June, then july, august, ... There was going to be a traffic asset, etc. We didn't receive any update since initial release. I gived 5 stars for this asset because initially developer was listening to recommendations and I thought developer was going to keep working on this and improve it, I have switched from easyroads to road architect just hoping it will evolve better. But now developer can't give even his 15 minutes weekly to support buyers of his asset. I feel fooled as he just disappeared without posting anything.

9. toxtronyx

toxtronyx

Same over here. A lot of promises were made I also offered help with the european content packs since I have made hundreds of road signs and I really relied on the features GSD announced for the next update. Fortunately we decided about 2 months ago do write our own system but that totally messed up our time frame and project planning and caused a massive load of problems for our current product. However. Maybe we sell our own solution at a reasonable price and it will definetely be updated over time since we need it in at least 2 more products.

emergki likes this.
  10. Unplug

Unplug

keep us update toxtronyx

toxtronyx likes this.
  11. Meceka

Meceka

I am also interested in your road system toxtronyx.

12. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Thankfully full source code is included.

Actually I wonder how many assets in the asset store are run by a single person? My guess is the majority are. If that person working on asset had a major life event (e.g. car accident) that could put someone out of contact for a long time. Unfortunately with organizations being so small it is hard to know what the issue is. It is definitely different then dealing with IBM size companies.

13. Unplug

Unplug

yah but it also why unity is so popular, the community is really strong and i prefer to deal with a devoted person than a ibm size company

14. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Agreed a devoted person certainly makes a huge difference.

Depending on your SLA (service level agreement) with a IBM size company you can get a dedicated person to support you so you only have one interface to the IBM size company. You can get 24x7 on-site support with full team to support you for everything hardware and software with down-time limited to 5 minutes per year too.

15. JBR-games

JBR-games

Well i hope all is well with the team at RA. Im disappointed that this project seems to be abandoned. Glad i waited for the coming updates before i bought the package, as i would have been a bit upset to buy a package for the promised updates that never came. Maybe well all be surprised and they will deliver the new update soon. We can hope right...
    So after 6months of waiting for the new update i decided to go with easyroads3Dpro as they have a customizable intersection system with the v3 beta now (what i was waiting for with RA). Ill still keep an eye on RA in hopes that they deliver on their update, as i think its still has the most potential.

16. Unplug

Unplug

thanks for the cue JBR i'll check that, i thought the other one was dead too

17. rene007

rene007

Hi ,

I bought the RoadArchitect tool. At first, I didn't find any problem on the platform "PC, Mac and Linux..." but when I changed to platform Web Player, RoadArchitect stopped working and the error message below is displayed:

"Assets / RoadArchitect / GSDRoadUtility.cs (3928.43): error CS0103: The name 'TDATA' does not exist in the current context"

How can i fix it please !

18. OskarSwierad

OskarSwierad

EDIT: It's been several days since I sent my email to the developer. Still no reply. The project is abandoned.
    The bugs are critical. I had to export our whole road system and now I'm fixing it by hand, in a 3D software.
    Making intersections just destroyes the roads in most cases.
    I really don't recommend buying it, until the author returns to work on it.

Original post:
    I have a terrain which some fragments are below sea level. That's why I set it's Y position to ~400 units.
    How do I prevent Road Architect from resetting the terrain Y position to zero?

What do I risk by commenting just the 3rd line here? (GSDRoadUtility.cs)

Code (csharp):
    1. if (!GSDRootUtil.IsApproximately(tTerrain.transform.position.y, 0f, 0.0001f)) {
    2.     Vector3 tVect = tTerrain.transform.position;
    3.     //tVect.y = 0f;
    4.     tTerrain.transform.position = tVect;
    5. }
    2. I see this error very often. "Update Intersection" does nothing in such cases. "Update all roads" also doesn't help - sometimes it can even delete the entire road in the viewport.

3. After creating intersections in a very simple scene:
    Code (csharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. GSD.Threaded.GSDRoadCreationT.RoadJob_DoPrelim (.GSDRoad& tRoad) (at Assets/RoadArchitect/GSDRoadUtilityT.cs:1456)
    3. GSD.Threaded.GSDRoadCreationT.RoadJob_Prelim (.GSDRoad& tRoad) (at Assets/RoadArchitect/GSDRoadUtilityT.cs:861)
    4. GSD.Threaded.RoadCalcs1.ThreadFunction () (at Assets/RoadArchitect/GSDRoadUtilityT.cs:6471)
    6. IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    7. GSD.Threaded.GSDRoadCreationT.ProcessRoad_UVs_Intersection_MainPlate2 (GSD.Roads.RoadConstructorBufferMaker& RCS, UnityEngine.Vector3[] tVerts, .GSDRoadIntersection GSDRI) (at Assets/RoadArchitect/GSDRoadUtilityT.cs:6045)
    8. GSD.Threaded.GSDRoadCreationT.ProcessRoad_UVs_Intersections (GSD.Roads.RoadConstructorBufferMaker& RCS) (at Assets/RoadArchitect/GSDRoadUtilityT.cs:5644)
    9. GSD.Threaded.GSDRoadCreationT.RoadJob2 (GSD.Roads.RoadConstructorBufferMaker& RCS) (at Assets/RoadArchitect/GSDRoadUtilityT.cs:4739)
    10. GSD.Threaded.RoadCalcs2.ThreadFunction () (at Assets/RoadArchitect/GSDRoadUtilityT.cs:6506)
    Unity 4.6.1 f1

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  19. rene007

rene007

Hi
    I have the same problem
    Could you, please, help me to settle this problem!
    Thank you

20. toxtronyx

toxtronyx

I hope it is ok to write that here but some people asked for our road system so please check my signature ;-)

hopeful, rhodnius and Meceka like this.
  21. raoul

raoul

It has been a while since I visited this thread. Like toxtronyx no intention to intrude, just as a response to the above comment, v2 indeed does not support intersections, but v3 does.

hopeful likes this.
  22. Marek_Bakalarczuk

Marek_Bakalarczuk

Oh. Is v3 is out now?.

23. raoul

raoul

It is still in beta but betas are available and fairly stable. Side objects are coming, please ask in the EasyRoads3D v3 WIP thread (link is in my signature) if you have further questions.

Raoul

24. TFG2

TFG2

It has been almost an year since I have been working with Road Architect. Coming from Easy Road 3D free version this was definitely an upgrade in sense of quality of roads and ease of implementation with the spline based system.

The major issues I had with this plugins are:

- Intersections
    - Joining railings or other road side objects till the end of Intersections
    - Nodes wanting to connect to each other, and if you allowed that to happen you would have a mess in the scene.

Benefits

- Using side objects like custom pavements inside RA's own and deploying it across roads instead of putting it manually
    - Visually appealing output
    - It has more benefits but the frustration that builds up outweighs them.

It has reached to a point now, where I cannot think about touching a node, just to see other things mess up and i have to redo what i did.

I am really hoping for this plugin to sort out its issues and provide us with a stable and stress free implementing experience.

25. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

It seems the package is updated, does that mean it is not abandoned anymore?

26. hopeful

hopeful

I don't know if there was a software update to download, as I don't own RA, but I see the price has dropped to $20.

Hmm. I notice a review made 2 days ago says that "Update with bug fixes is coming within next days, received it via email from author - no issues found so far."

27. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

The asset store version of Road Architect is now 1.2 and now requires Unity 4.6.1

1/15/2015 - New in version 1.2
    Added support for lightmapping (select static roads on each road)
    Added support for DX11
    Fixed pink road issue for DX11 (shader issue).
    Fixed tDATA error on web player.
    Fixed 50+ issues from 06/01/2014 to 01/15/2015.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    hopeful likes this.
  28. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Glad the developer was able to update this asset too.

29. JBR-games

JBR-games

Glad to see it got updated. Can anyone tell me other than bug fixes, were there any nice upgrades like different road size intersections?
    With the new lower price does that mean the product will still be supported in the future?
    Thanks in Advance.

TFG2 likes this.
  30. hopeful

hopeful

Just guessing here, but my assumption is that there is no commitment to future updates or support, and that's why the price dropped.

31. Meceka

Meceka

I had this update about 5 months ago. I mailed him about "road wasn't working on lightmapping" , and he sent me that update with e-mail before sending to asset store, i checked it and it's completely same with this one published on asset store. (He just added a weird changelog I suppose). I have no idea why he didn't publish this update when it was ready. There are no 50 bugfixes, and this update breakes side object feature. Just try to add a custom extrusion or edge object on any node and you will see that it's un-usable. Saved sideobjects still work though.

32. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Interesting. I only get updates from the asset store and not from the developer directly.

33. hopeful

hopeful

It's not hate. Not sure why you interpret it that way. Fact is, I went ahead and bought RA when it went to $20 because of the current level of functionality.

34. Marek_Bakalarczuk

Marek_Bakalarczuk

Is there a method to disable Alt+Mouse refreshing action?

35. droderick

droderick

I would suggest that the developer mention what the "50 bugfixes" are.

We have this plug in and are bound to it because we are too far along in our project to abandon it now. Still can't manage to recommend this plugin in any way.

36. sheenrox82

sheenrox82

Does anyone know if the current update on the Unity Asset Store has the ability to make onramps/entrance ramps? Thanks! I plan to buy this asset soon.

37. iNoX

iNoX

Hello, i just tested this asset out, and my roads is pink? I tried to follow the tutorials but i cant set texture, neither does default texture work for me, any tips?

38. nickyoso1

nickyoso1

Does anyone know how I can access the total length of the road and the length from node to node?

I can access the grade of the road through the GSDSplineN class but I can't seem to find the distance.

39. dibdab

dibdab

I bought it. its a good product, and great amount of work, but it has 2 shortcomings.
    1. the polycount. it should be max100k for square km, and meshes like bridges, side objects should be full 3d objects, so could be destroyed. deforming to terrain's never gonna happen because if its lower polycount, z-fightings always going to be an issue. as I understood it 'draws' the terrain under the road, but its not necessary either, just use (or make available using) meshes that already has that piece of ground beneath the road (and surrounding terrain can be done after generating the road network). ok, so the polycount. the road bendings need the most definition, so the mesh-pieces should be more dense in the curve (to not get blocky) than on the straight ways. this eliminates the possibility of using road paintings on the texture (those could 2d decals), but by this distribution of polys where they are needed, reduces polycount and keeps the quality.
    2. no intersections. again. if everything fails, use (or make available using) meshes.
    also, if you need 3d modellers, just say and I'm sure theres a couple of them will help you out.

40. ZJP

ZJP

Hi,

I see no demo with dirt road like your competitor It's possible?

41. poony

poony

I purchased and tinkered with this product over the weekend and my thoughts are mixed on it, but overall, worth the $20, as long as you're patient with the product. Let me explain...

Overall, it does everything it says - it builds bridges, intersections, roads, with the ability to customise many parts of it.

BUT...you have to understand the limitations of the software, which hasn't been made clear by the author. For example, when building intersections, it must be a certain distance away from the next intersection (which depends on how big you build your roads), otherwise the splines and nodes get messed up, and you have to start your road system all over again.

Once you understand these limitations, and identify workarounds for them, it is a good tool.

42. snowcult

snowcult

I'm having trouble getting side roads to connect to main roads, and how do I reduce the bending? I want a sharp corner and I just get this massive arc.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  43. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

Fantastic tool. It literally took me 10 minutes to build 2 long, winding, parallel roads and 18 intersections in my city scene. Even dropped in a couple of traffic lights. I must say, I am very impressed with this tool. I picked up Mapity at the same time. Is there any information available regarding integration or use together yet? It would be sweet to have Mapity build the roads for me since I am using OSM data...

Another lazy hobbyist.
    Cheers!
    Mark

44. hopeful

hopeful

The dev for Road Architect hasn't visited the Unity forums since Sept 27, 2014.

Best to try the email he gave for support: support (at) microgsd (dot) com

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  45. sathya

sathya

Quick Question. Does this support unity 5 ? Do all modules work fine with unity 5 terrains like procedural bridges and road shaders ? If so i ll make the purchase asap. Thanks

46. Frogger007

Frogger007

Hi wheretheidivide,

i have replaced the lines
    ''MR.castShadows = false;"
    to
    "MR.shadowCastingMode = UnityEngine.Rendering.ShadowCastingMode.Off;"

Hope this is the right solution !

47. hopeful

hopeful

Very happy to download the RA update today! Haven't tried it out yet, but glad to see it. :)

OnePxl likes this.
  48. erdoganuguz

erdoganuguz

49. JamesL98

JamesL98

Why does my terrain height continuously set to 0?!!!! and the road doesn't even look like it does in the preview?

50. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

I'm a tad discouraged. I did whip up a quick series of roads as posted above, but the errors when you start intersecting at more than a few points are just intolerable. That and the bridges generating a 65000 poly error, there can't be THAT many polys in 2 short bridges! No response to my emails at the address listed. I wonder what actions can be taken against either the "company" or the asset store for continuing to sell abandoned wares? $20 aint much, but I would rather support a developer that is supporting his product...

51. Frogger007

Frogger007

You can read this on his website: "Future support Guaranteed updates until at minimum 2016."