Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Risk vs Reward?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by King-Klong, Jul 20, 2018.

1. King-Klong

King-Klong

I'm on a small team with a game in early access. We currently use 5.6 and are looking to upgrade our Unity version and do a release with it sometime in late 2018 or early 2019. We initially are looking at the 2017LTS version for nice stability reasons. But this Addressable system seems like it would same a lot of time for us vs implementing Asset bundles, and performance gains would be great also. We currently load everything from Resources and don't too much for memory management. No asset bundles either. We are on PC, but potentially moving to Android too, so having the ability to download bundles would be very nice.

So with 2018.2 just being out, and the Addressable system being in preview, is it too much of a risk to try to move our project to using this? Or will it be worth it? It looks like it will be very simple to convert our project to use the addressable system. I'm not too sure on the growing pains of potentially needing to upgrade from 2018.2 to .3 or .4, or if we can maybe stick to 2018.2 and just update the package separately when there are updates.

2. james7132

james7132

The package currently is in Preview. Until it has entered a verified status, I would not suggest depending on the package in any production build, even if it is an early access game.