Search Unity

Question rigify models face weighting causing problems / how to handle faces on humanoid rigs?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by ChrisRapczynski, Feb 6, 2022.

1. ChrisRapczynski

ChrisRapczynski

I rigged up a humanoid rig with rigify within blender, and it all works perfectly except for the face.

upload_2022-2-6_2-6-40.png

the head is weighed (automatically via rigify) so that the head bone effects the back of the head and then the childed face bones weigh with the face area,
    upload_2022-2-6_2-8-7.png
    -but theres nowhere in unity to input those, so the weighting goes nowhere and as a result the face just floats unmoving in animations.
    upload_2022-2-6_2-14-50.png

I really have no idea how I'd tackle this. the only bandaid I could enforce would be weighing the entire head to the head bone, which ofcourse would make the face bones effect nothing, so whats the proper way to have facial control without this issue?

oh, and the bones are organized via rigify like this:
    the actual head bones used in the inspector:
    upload_2022-2-6_2-38-25.png
    and where the face bones are, as you can see they dont have a parent child relationship so thats also probably why the face doesnt move with the head
    upload_2022-2-6_2-39-55.png

2. Tosh

Tosh

I suspect that the weights are there but the parenting is wrong. Rigify is not fit for games out of the box. You can see all the ORG and MCH bones in the inspector. These should not be imported. Not sure if you can tweak the parenting inside Unity but if you can, make sure that all face bones are parented to the head.

3. ChrisRapczynski

ChrisRapczynski

thats exactly what I did, I was under the impression that they had to be like that as this is how its organized after rigifys unity pluggin "prepares it for unity". Cant complain though rigify is really cool