Search Unity

Rigidbody sphere never stops rolling

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by unikum, Nov 3, 2010.

1. unikum

unikum

I have set up a simple scene with a flat cube (ground) and a sphere (ball) to play around and try to simulate a football (soccer) ball physics. However, the ball never stops rolling on the ground. It keeps rolling extremely slow forever, how come?

I've tried changing friction values without success. What do I need to do for the ball to behave like it is rolling on grass (stopping full and goes in to sleep)? I've changed friction values on the physics materials on both object but I can never get it to fully stop.

What did I miss?

2. SarperS

SarperS

3. unikum

unikum

Trying it without success. Shouldn't the ball keep going slower and slower because of the friction? it doesn't slow down, it's keeping a constant low speed after initial slowing down. That constant angular velocity ranges between like 1.5 and down. If I put in another cube as a wall it stops and goes to sleep.

Don't understand why the friction doesn't keeps making it roll slower, down to basically standing still.

Edit: I had the "drag" on 0... seems to work properly now.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
    spotlessapple likes this.
  4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Friction won't slow it down because a sphere only has a tiny point actually touching a cube, so there's nothing really for friction to act on. It's not like a real soccer ball where you actually have lots of grass blades and stuff in contact with the ball at various points. Friction works for things like boxes because the entire surface is likely to be in contact with the ground.

--Eric

eterlan likes this.
  5. JRavey

JRavey

salimkham and mdrunk like this.
  6. crazyKnight

crazyKnight

hi,

thanks a lot the drag worked perfectly

7. SpaceManDan

SpaceManDan

could do something like:

float velocitySqrMagThreshold = 0.6f;
    float rBVelocitySqrMag = rigidbody.velocity.sqrMagnitude;

if (rBVelocitySqrMag < velocitySqrMagThreshold)
    {
    canActivateDragDamping = true;
    }
    else
    {
    canActivateDragDamping = false;
    }

if (canActivateDragDamping)
    {
    rigibody.drag = 10;
    rigidbody.angularDrag = 10;
    }
    else if (!canActivateDragDamping)
    {
    rigidbody.drag = 0;
    rigidbody.angularDrag = 0.05f;
    }

Note: velocitySqrMagThreshold --- I suggest setting this to 0.6 for the sphere issue. Also I suggest setting up lerps instead of what I have here for when drag is kicked into play. It smooths it out so it doesn't pop. But this should get you started and you can do the lerp code yourself. I donnwanna.

Hope this helps.

8. Karsten

Karsten

maybe your "ground" is just a bit rotated? on the X or Z axis?

9. SarperS

SarperS

10. Karsten

Karsten

oh yeah, necro much. there was something wrong with the database of this forum i seen, there was some threads with extreme high views , maybe they try around again with the new forum software xD

11. unity_steph

unity_steph

I tried to find a solution for many hours, so if it can help : try changing the ground's collider. It worked for me because I was using a mesh collider instead of a box collider.

12. valentin56610

valentin56610

Thought I'd chime in and say that adjusting the drag worked for me (flat ground, capsule collider on a shell casing object, set drag on 10)
    Without drag on 10 it would roll and roll and roll...