Search Unity

Rigidbody help

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Jason210, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Jason210

Jason210

Hi

I was experimenting with (in order to learn about) rigidbody and got stuck straight away. What I want to do is make an object that has a centre of gravity, then apply one or two forces to the object in a specific location within the objects coordinate space, and see the result. A real world example could be a hovercraft, where the thrust is located at the rear and which can be vectored.

All I need is some tips, pointers to tutorials etc to get going.

I tried adding an "engine" as a rigidbody with a fixed joint, then applying a force to it. However it did not work.

Thanks
    /Jason

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. PolyMad

PolyMad

What do you know about coding?

3. Jason210

Jason210

Enough to get by. What I don't know is how to use this game engine. Anyway, I figured out that the function I needed was AddRelativeForce instead of just AddForce.

Then I used a couple of empty game objects, with Rigidbody components added, attached to the platform I wanted to move with fixed joints. It works, but I have no idea if this is the right approach.

I'm not really happy with the drag parameter for resistance, so I'm now looking at adding other forces to simulate this.