Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Rigidbody Fall Speed?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jtman562, Jun 12, 2011.

1. jtman562

jtman562

How can I determine the speed at which an object with a Rigidbody falls?

2. Jessy

Jessy

3. jtman562

jtman562

That's not what I want. My Rigidbody starts in the air. I want it to fall faster.

4. Jessy

Jessy

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/determine

Are you using definition 1? I don't think that makes sense – I figured you meant definition 2 – but if you're talking about 1, I'd look at these, and if that's not enough, please try to add clarity to your question so we don't give you unhelpful advice, and we don't waste our time in the process.

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/Physics-gravity.html
    http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Components/class-ConstantForce.html

doublevjack likes this.
  5. jtman562

jtman562

Got it. Thanks.

6. onlyskate13

onlyskate13

Like:
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. rigidbody.AddForce(1, -4300, 1);

Sungold likes this.
  7. LukeNukem44

LukeNukem44

The question is straight forward. Setting a rb velocity is exactly that, setting it's velocity, which is a pretty standard thing to do. The question asks for a falling force, like the globals Physics gravity, but for individual Rigidbodies. I need this too. It is Completely stupid that Unity did not make the mass affect it's gravity value, like it does in real life. Higher mass objects accelerate quicker when falling. -- I'm going to put it out there that there is no solution to it. There's not one in this thread. -- Shame on Unity for making Physics gravity a single global value.

Nathen123 likes this.
  8. LukeNukem44

LukeNukem44

I'm going to post the solution, which I spent the last hour working out, in a new thread.

9. mountblanc

mountblanc

Looking forward to the answer as i noticed some objects with bigger mass starting to fall way to slow.

10. LukeNukem44

LukeNukem44

mountblanc likes this.
  11. LukeNukem44

LukeNukem44

Yeah I noticed that too. Strange.

12. mountblanc

mountblanc

Thanks!

LukeNukem44 likes this.
  13. chelnok

chelnok

Lets go deeper; blame Galileo. Source:

hippocoder likes this.
  14. mountblanc

mountblanc

In the real world, we have things like air resistance.

15. mountblanc

mountblanc

And by real i mean on earth yea the moon is real as well but all of us live on earth not on the moon. And my game for one is earth related.. And here on earth In practice, what you notice is that air friction makes less difference for the heavier object. So it would be nice to have that in the game as well. Because i want a peace of paper fall slower then a bowling ball.

seelts likes this.
  16. chelnok

chelnok

True. Are you using Drag property? It's for air resistance.

hippocoder likes this.
  17. mountblanc

mountblanc

Hmm Interesting i assumed incorrectly it was drag on a collider. I'll go tinkering with it.

18. leventalpsal

leventalpsal

This is not correct. Gravity force on higher mass will be higher but since acceleration = force / mass ; higher mass objects will have the same fall acceleration. The thing that makes the difference is air resistance or drag which can be simulated with rigidbody.drag in Unity. If you want the objects fall faster without adding external force, you should decrease the drag. If there is a feather or paper that should fall slowly, the drag should be increased.

19. Neilpogi

Neilpogi

i am from 2022 lol

Florin_Dumitru likes this.
  20. arkano22

arkano22

Hmmm... the mass of an object does not affect how fast it falls. Gravity is not a force, it’s an acceleration.

Place a feather and a 100kg steel ball in vacuum, at the same height from the floor. Then let them fall, they will hit the floor at the exact same time.

This only works in vacuum of course, otherwise the feather will fall slower due to air resistance (drag). Mass has nothing to do with this.

So Unity’s approach is 100% correct: gravity is an acceleration (-9.81 m/s^2 on Earth) and affects all objects equally.

If you want to have different gravities for different objects, it’s perfectly doable too: just add some downwards velocity each FixedUpdate().