Search Unity

Rigidbody Capsule, rotate it or not?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Armetron, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Armetron

Armetron

Hi just a quick question, when making a character with a rigidbody instead of a character controller what is the best practice in regard to the collider that goes around the "player".

should it move with only the internal stuff rotating to prevent more collision calculations. or does it not matter and its ok to rotate the entire thing.

both cases work I just want to be efficient

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The question doesn't make sense.

3. Vryken

Vryken

Define "internal stuff" versus "the entire thing" please.

4. Armetron

Armetron

Sorry, What I mean is in code when you set transform.rotation you essentially rotate the entire GameObject, however you could have individual components be rotated internally, A camera for example can point in the new "forward" but not have to rotate the Collider. You can have the player model rotated to make it look like its facing a different direction without having to rotate the GameObject

What I wanted to know mainly is, does rotating the Capsule Collider on the y axis cause any unnecessary collistions? and if it does how impactful on performance is it?

5. halley

halley

A gameobject has a transform, and maybe a rigidbody and maybe some colliders. If the transform changes, all the colliders change to match without extra work and it would be extra work to avoid it.

If you're asking about performance of a capsule collider rotating around its long axis, there is no mathematical reason it would behave differently at any rotation on that axis. Let the engine do what's natural.

Google "premature optimization."