Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Join us on Dec 8, 2022, between 7 am & 7 pm EST, in the DOTS Dev Blitz Day 2022 - Q&A forum, Discord, and Unity3D Subreddit to learn more about DOTS directly from the Unity Developers.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

Right way for interaction animation

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Kamey, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Kamey

Kamey

Hello!
    I'm pretty new in gamdev, so need help even not in technical implementation but in concept naming.

I want to add an animation to my game. Animation - character drink coffee (just get the cup from nowhere, put it near mouth, imitate drinking and put it back to nowhere. By 'nowhere' I mean that the object of coffee cup should be visible only during this animation, I do not have any logic for it in a game)

My problem is that I do not understand what is the best approach to do it.
    I've created a character in the Blender and create several Actions (animations) where one of them is 'Coffee drinking'. But in Blender I was able to add new mesh 'Cup', parenting it to the characters hand and added keyframes for the visible/unvisible options. But when I export it as .fbx to the unity I have animation of drinking without cup. Just character does some moves that imitates drinking (but no cup). Maybe for experienced users it's obvious and expectable behaviour, but for now I can't get it.
    I've already read about 'Runtime rigging' In Unity approach, but I'm not sure that it's suitable for my case.

Soooo, the main question is: What is the right flow to get an animation of character that interacts with some object that exists (visible) only during this animation?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022