Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Right eye black for URP on Quest

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Orangy-Tang, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Orangy-Tang

Orangy-Tang

Everything builds ok, but the right eye renders completely black. The left is normal and head tracking is working as expected.

Unity 2019.3.0f1
    Universal RP 7.1.6
    Oculus Android 1.38.4
    Oculus Integration 1.43

Scene is a single plane + cube and OVRCameraRig. No post-processing.
    This happens with both 'Single Pass' and 'Multi Pass' stereo rendering modes.

Is this a known bug? Thanks.

Dragnipurake97 likes this.
  2. Orangy-Tang

Orangy-Tang

Rolling back to URP 7.1.5 fixes the right eye issue (with everything else the same).

3. davidcox70

davidcox70

Found the same in 2019.3.0f3 and URP 7.1.7. Right eye is black when multipass rendering is used (Daydream). Single pass appears to work on some devices. I suspect the case is that single pass works, but not all devices support single pass so fall back to multipass, which is rendered with a black right eye.

I am unable to roll back to URP 7.1.5 as @Orangy-Tang suggested as Unity 2019.3.0f3 does not offer rolling back beyond 7.1.6

DC

4. ThatDarnCat

ThatDarnCat

Unity Technologies

Both eyes render for me on Quest when using URP. This was my setup:

Unity 2019.3.0f4
    Universal RP 7.1.6
    Oculus Android 2.38.4 (also tried 2.38.6)
    Oculus Integration 1.44

I used the URP Template scene, disabled post processing, and added the Oculus Integration package, and added OvrCameraRig to the scene instead of the mainCamera. I used single pass as the rendering mode. We currently do not support multi pass for URP.

As Daydream is discontinued, we do not support it in 2019.x. If you want to develop on Daydream, please use 2018 LTS.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    phil_lira likes this.
  5. davidcox70

davidcox70

Thanks for the response. I am using single pass but Unity still carries the warning that some Android devices will fall back to Multi-Pass if they don't support single pass. What happens in this case?

I think this is the problem I have been having with both 2018 LWRP and 2019 URP. Building with single pass and testing with a suitable device shows no problems. But then I get complaints from some users that the stereo render is not working on their devices. I am guessing they are seeing a fall back to multi-pass.

DC

6. ThatDarnCat

ThatDarnCat

Unity Technologies

URP only supports single pass at the moment. We've seen driver issues with Mali GPU devices (such as some European Samsung Galaxy devices) where single pass is not supported, so they always fall back to multi-pass.

7. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

Multi-pass support is scheduled for package 7.2.0 to be released end of this month. So it seems like that package will solve this issue.

8. alexchesser

alexchesser

Hey @phil_lira any further update on when that package 7.2.0 is coming out? I'm seeing the same right-eye-black issue as described above, but am using Oculus XR from the new plugin framework. Which means single-pass doesn't even exist as an option in the dropdown.

I guess I should drop XR Plugin Management and go back to the legacy version?

upload_2020-2-2_12-9-11.png

9. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

Package is on QA phase this week and plan to be publish on Friday.

BATTLEKOT and alexchesser like this.
  10. alexchesser

alexchesser

hey @phil_lira is there a timzone that the publish happens in? I just checked and don't see it yet. I was hoping to get some time this weekend to work with this.

... Maybe after I put my kid to bed in a few hours?
    Hoping we're still on track! :)

11. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

Update: There was an XR HUP regression. The XR team could not submit a fix in time so we are in a hold position until the fix lands.

12. alexchesser

alexchesser

It happens :) thanks for the update!

13. alexchesser

alexchesser

woooooooooo 7.2.0 is out!! importing now!

SQUEEEEEE!

14. bjornsyse

bjornsyse

Hi. I'm on 2019.3.06f using URP 7.2.0 developing for quest. What should I use for best performance you reckon,

1. new XR management with
    1a. multipass or
    1b. multiview

or the legacy system using multipass or single pass? (is that even available? what's the main difference?)

15. koebrugge

koebrugge

So did it work? I'm updating to 7.2.1 now. Very curious to see.

16. alexchesser

alexchesser

It did!

17. koebrugge

koebrugge

For me as well, I just managed to update this morning. very happy now!

18. bugrock

bugrock

This only works for me if I have the Camera Target Eye set to "Both". If I set the target to "Right" it wont render to the right eye. This is important to me because I use two cameras and have one camera target eye set to left and the other set to right. I need to be able to do this because I need to be able to independently control each eye and display different things in each eye individually. That may sound weird but I develop eye training apps.

Everything works fine if I don't install the XR management system.

I should also point out that if I use the OVRCameraRig and the XR Management System it renders to both eyes even when I set targets to Left and Right but its double vision and some other weird stuff. Again it all works fine with legacy VR

Could someone please try two cameras and set the targets to left and right eyes and let me know if their right eye renders?
    This is multipass. Single pass cant be used for independent eye rendering.

Im using unity 2019.4.1f1
    Oculus CV1

Thanks

Mese96 likes this.
  19. HECer

HECer

I still have this issue on unity 2020.1.1f1, does someone knows more about the problem and if there is a method to use multipass with xr without switching back to the legacy method?

20. magnetica

magnetica

Same here.. Unity 2020.1.3
    it works only with Unity 2019.4.x, HDRP 7.3.1 and Multipass.
    if your switch to HDRP7.4.x, it renders only the left eye.
    if you switch to single pass instanced, some materials (eg. the laser beam of XR Interaction Toolkit) are rendered only in left eye.
    I hoped HDRP 8.x in Unity 2020 has been fixed but usual, pay a bug for a new feature.
    so frustrated..

21. dolphin767

dolphin767

Some of my scenes render properly for Quest, and others don't. I don't get it. Users complain that multipass gives a trailing effect, and single pass works, but sometimes it only renders one eye. I can't use 2020 version for my purposes. I'm using 2019.4.

22. AdamBebko

AdamBebko

Yes i'm also having this issue with the right eye not rendering. with target eye=Right. Multipass with steamvr/ vive pro

23. dranger003

dranger003

Same as magnetica, using 2020.1.15f1 and XR Interaction Toolkit 0.10.0-preview.7 and XR Plug-in for Oculus in Single Pass Instanced (only other option I had is Multi Pass which render the whole scene in just one eye). So Single Pass Instanced works for the whole scene except the XR Interaction Toolkit laser beams which are just rendered on the left eye. Any fix for this anyone? I am completely new to this, so maybe there is an obvious fix I am missing.

24. satolas

satolas

Unity 2019.4.14 (LTS) here. :)

I have the same problem. I need to be able to cull layers with the Culling Mask for left and right eyes for Stereoscopic images.

But when I tick the "Use Per Eye Cameras" in the OVRCameraRig I get a black screen.
    Single-pass or Multi-pass rendering in Player settings, I get the same result.

Some people will maybe say to switch to the new XR Plugin Management.
    The whole project is build with the Legacy VR. I will switch at some point for sure, but not now.
    And I'm not even sure it would solve the issue anyways.

Do you have a solution for this ?

Weird because we talk about this kind of issue since 2015 Oo :
    - https://forums.oculusvr.com/developer/discussion/28119/why-the-current-per-eye-solution-doesnt-work
    - https://forums.oculusvr.com/developer/discussion/1667/different-geometry-rendered-to-each-eye

AdamBebko likes this.
  25. dranger003

dranger003

So for what it's worth, the XR Interaction Toolkit is working fine using Unity 2020.2b13 (I also really like the newly included scene in the beta!). I tried comparing with the version used in 2020.1.15f but unable to figure out what is different (again, I'm new to all of this). I suspect something was updated to make it work in the latest beta, but I just don't know what.

AdamBebko likes this.