Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Rigging and Animation - Blender vs Unity

Discussion in 'Animation' started by KaraZee, May 25, 2021.

1. KaraZee

KaraZee

We are creating a mobile game and are trying to figure out the best work flow for the Avatar animations. We are building the game and environments in Unity and the Avatar models in Blender however we are debating if we should do the Avatar animations in Blender and import or just do them natively in Unity.

The user will never really be controlling the avatar, however they will choose certain preset tasks which will trigger animations for each individual tasks in the game in a Unity Environment. The user will also be able to accessorize and cloth their avatar as well if that matters. I hope that makes sense, this is my first time making a game.

PutridEx likes this.
  2. IAAAI

IAAAI

For Quick Prototyping do it in Blender and export them.

But giving you an answer hear will not help u as this is your first game.
    I would not recommend doing your own thing for now.
    Do 2-3 basic tutorials course from unity to understand what animations actually are.
    And the same goes for blender. Go to the official youtube channel an watch the tutorial about Rigging & Animation.

Dont be overhelmed.
    For your own game. Maybe don't even use a complex avatar jet. Us a simple cube without bones/skinning and use the
    Unity animation keyframing if you are not willing to put your game on hold.

3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Unity doesn't really facilitate creating humanoid animations in the editor. Do them in blender and import.

4. KaraZee

KaraZee

I am not going to be doing the animation myself... but as I hire an animator I want to know the appropriate workflow.

5. Ask your animator what they want for the best results. (within reason, obviously)

IAAAI likes this.
  6. IAAAI

IAAAI

Sry didn't now that.
    If the animator is somewhat close to an "intermediate" Animator he/she should allrdy have a taste of a workflow (be it efficient or not).

As for Animation in Unity:
    Modelling, Rigging/ Skinning, Animation in Blender and export only the Animation itself to Unity for a clean management.
    Every same Rig (mostly humanoid) will be able to use this Animation.

But you are at the prototype phase when it comes to animation. So do it as you like cause it is more important to get
    the game up and running to evaluate it rather having a clean project structure. WHICH you should keep clean at least after prototyping (and even between iterations.)