Search Unity

Rig/Animation destroys mesh?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Feuerputz, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Feuerputz

Feuerputz

Hey there,
    I hope I`m right here. Recently I got a problem with a bow I just had imported. The bow has a simple rig and an shooting animation. As you can see in the pictures below the shader seems to be wrong (top), if the rig is applied. o_OIf I remove the rig it`s all working fine (bottom).
    Where`s the problem? Thanks in advance! :)
    upload_2018-1-26_13-45-18.png

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Nope - that isn't a shader error - that is a skinning/rigging error. See the middle part of the bow - the handle area - that is being deformed incorrectly - causing the odd shading issue. The real problem is in the rig/skin weights, not the shader.
    Looks like the handle is being pulled back towards the string, like the vertices are partially skinned to the bones that control the bow string.

Feuerputz likes this.
  3. Feuerputz

Feuerputz

Thanks for your answer.
    I ve checked that out in Blender and applied the bones in different poses to take a look at the mesh structure. Seems like the topology isnt deformed. Its perfect and the bone that controls the string does not affect the handle or the main mesh.

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Is this a possible deformation error due to too many bones influencing each vertex? Unity has a 4 bone per vertex limit, meaning only 4 bones can effect the weight value of each vertex. Might check the setting in blender to confirm 4 or less bones are effecting each vertex.

If this is in fact a shader error - it is very odd, looks to be effecting the mesh directly. You do not have any kind of displacement map applied in blender?

What happens when you remove the shader from the rigged bow, rather than remove the rigged bow and keep the shader?

5. Uukben

Uukben

Same thing has happened to me... I've been trouble shooting for days. tried different riggs, weights... I even tested by only adding one single joint to the mesh and still messed up my topology in unity. As soon as you Bind it everything goes to hell :/... Finally figure out, it was the mesh problem, i used QuadRemesher for a model and that was the problem, importing it withput rigg was ok but when added bin the issue came out, i recommend you re-model :/

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  6. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

That sucks dude. Sorry to hear you had to re-model the entire thing.:confused: