Search Unity

Rifle Animset Pro with Playmaker controller | Asset Store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kubold, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Kubold

Kubold

Hello!

This is a set of motion capture animations, to build a seamless, third person perspective character with rifle movement for your game.

Click for Asset Store link

Web Player - PlayMaker controller

Video 1 - animation list of ver 1.1:

Video 2 - usage example (you get this with package)

It consists of over 80 animations, from which you can make game mechanics for:

- Walking
    - Running
    - Shooting
    - Getting hit and dying
    - Grenade throwing
    - Aiming with Additive animations
    - Melee attacks
    - Sprinting
    - Vaulting
    - Crouch

Click for LIST OF ANIMATIONS

The package includes Mecanim animation graph and a PlayMaker controller graph (Supports X360 Game Pad).
    To use the character controller you must have PlayMaker
    If you don't have PlayMaker, you can just use the animations and example Mecanim graph to create your own controller :)

Installation involves few easy steps (manually moving some PlayMaker scripts from downloaded package to Assets folder).

Please import this package to a new Project with fresh Playmaker installed and check readme.txt for further instructions.
    If you don't use Playmaker, you can skip importing Playmaker content or delete it later.

Also check out Pistol Animset Pro - a compatible set of animations with pistol
    -----------------------------------------------

This package has the same skeleton, actor and animation style as
    Movement Animset Pro - set of over 120 animations of character movement with empty hands (great for npc civillians... ;))

-----------------------------------------------
    Enjoy!

Jakub
    www.kubold.com
    kuboldgames@gmail.com
    Facebook page

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  2. chingwa

chingwa

Looks really really nice. Congrats!

3. Kubold

Kubold

Check out what's coming in update. Here's the WIP of the new controller and some new animations:
    Web Player - v1.1 WIP

4. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Hello Kubold, I'm liking the quality of your animations... some of the best I've seen on the asset store.

One thing that stopped me from purchasing your packages is that the animations are all in one fbx file. I would prefer is they was separated.

are you planning on separating them?

Regards
    MoHoe

5. Kubold

Kubold

Hi,

I'm afraid separating that many animations would make my and others work insanely time consuming. Every time I want to change the rig form Generic to Humanoid or the other way, would take ages. When the packages are all in one file it is neat and convenient.

Good news is, that you can separate them yourself in just 5 minutes. Here's what you do:

1. Download Motionbuilder trial version from HERE
    2. Open the fbx with the animations with it
    3. Click "Save As..." and check the box "Save One Take Per File" and "Use Take Name"
    4. Click Save
    $saving.jpg

Done! It will create 1 file per 1 take with the names of the animations.

May I ask why would you want them separated?

6. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Ok I'll try that method.. thanks :)

The reason is so that I can import specific animations into Iclone and make changes to animation.. iclone's timeline is different to unity so it's a pain in ass to separate them there.

Thanks

7. Kubold

Kubold

WEB PLAYER - MECANIM HUMANOID (Robot Kyle) - Proof of concept

Hey, here's my quick mecanim avatar retarget on Robot Kyle. Completly different skeleton than mine.
    I spent on this about 30 minutes. Here's what I did:
    1. Converted all Rifle Animset Pro animations from Generic to Humanoid
    2. Changed all the root motion options to Original
    3. Added an Avatar Mask (just upper body) to both additive layers in MECANIM graph
    4. Switched my soldier to Robot Kyle
    5. Clicked through couple of FSM's to reference Kyle instead of my soldier (about 5-6 States)
    4. Turned on foot IK and Left Hand IK (so it holds the gun)

Viola.

As for using my PlayMaker controller for UMA system - That's more complex than I thought. The characters from UMA have their own controllers, scripts, spawning, modules etc. I'm sure it can be done, but probably with heavy tweaks of their scripts.

8. johnny12345

johnny12345

just purchased looks amazing great job Kubold i look forward to future updates
    thank you

9. johnny12345

johnny12345

i had a quick play with the demo ,this is really great ,one thing i did notice when the character is against the wall facing right no problem but against the wall trying to face left any chance of adding it to a future update of the character facing the direction when up against a wall,i see there is a run animation is that implemented or not if so whats the control for it

thanks

10. Kubold

Kubold

I just submitted update 1.1 with the controller from newest videos and Web Player. It should be in store in 3 work days (so probably after the weekend).
    It adds more animations, for example running, vaulting etc. The enemies have now a "cone of vision" and the camera has anti-wall clipping FSM.

johnny12345: Yes you are right. When you face the wall, I was thinking the camera should detect corners and move to that side a little bit.

11. johnny12345

johnny12345

being honest here buddy your animations are the best ive seen in unity,ill never use another pack,you have a buyer for life here,im the guy who emailed you earlier today asking for changing weapons and such.
    keep up the great work and i hope you make a mint selling your stuff

any chance of a quicker update if i send you my transaction id thanks

12. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Purchased both packages :)

13. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

Looks and feels amazing!

14. Kubold

Kubold

I always had great sentiment to platformers like Abuse. I spent 3 hours today making a sidescroller controller using Rifle Animset Pro animations with disabled Root Motion - it's all on 'Character Move' and Character Motor.
    Web Player - Platformer Controller WIP

I'll polish this a little bit, add some enemies and of course a bunch of jumping animations. This will be in update 1.2.

15. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Hi Kubold, could you add walking back animations please?

16. Kubold

Kubold

Animations of walking back are included (check videos or web player to see). Version 1.1 will add also running in every direction.
    Wait... You don't have them after downloading the package?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  17. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

oh sorry Kubold, to be more clear. Rifle Animset Pro has them but Movement Animset Pro doesn't.

By the way I've just started using Playmaker and you're demo is impressive indeed. How long did it take you to create that?

Also are you available for some paid work? what I'm looking for is a dual stick controller utilizing mecanim with or without Playmaker . Same controls as alien breed. but not the AngryBots Demo method.

Regards
    MoHoe

18. Kubold

Kubold

Movement Animset Pro also has walking back and strafing animations, they were added in v.1.1. Just re-download to update.
    I'm afraid I couldn't find time to do any extra work right now. I have a full time job + my own Indie game + these packages... Already too much :)

Making this controller took me about 2 days, a full weekend, but I had very clear vision of it. This is based on Movement Animset Pro demo controller, which was pretty rough.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  19. Kubold

Kubold

How to do pistols with Rifle Animset Pro

At first I thought I will do a whole new set for handguns. But I just had an idea: What if I just move the right hand a little forward and use the rifle animations? I say it looks pretty ok. Ok enough, to NOT do Pistol Animset Pro. Look at the video - first part is pure Additive, second part is really quick Humanoid retarget with left hand on IK (I know the character is a little bent, but that's specific for Robot Kyle's skeleton, it's really strange - just 1 spine bone, supershort clavicles....).

[video=youtube_share;C9P5tzqluTU]http://youtu.be/C9P5tzqluTU

So there, Rifle Animset Pro can do Pistols no problem. I bet I could also do Miniguns this way ;). No, really.

I'll add pistols done like this in the next update, after I polish it a little.

20. Kubold

Kubold

[video=youtube_share;SrA6OFn5JqM]http://youtu.be/SrA6OFn5JqM

21. Kubold

Kubold

Update 1.1 is live, please update :)

22. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Hey Kubold, thanks for the update.

I have a little issue.. I've followed your instructions to do with the 360 controller.. The right stick is working fine, however the camera in not following the player, it is targeting the player just not moving with it. The player walks forward then pops back into start position.

Any tips?

Regards
    Mohoe

23. Kubold

Kubold

Hey,
    I just tested the package on a completly new project and it works fine out of the box.

As for the problem you have, first thing that comes to my mind is the Root Transform Position (XZ) wrong setup. If the "Bake Into Pose" box is checked on animations, it produces the effect exactly like you described. It's not that the camera is not following, It is the character that is not really moving (because root motion is baked into the anim).
    $anims.jpg

Double check, if in all your animations, new and old, you have this UN-CHECKED. Let me know if it solved the problem.

Best Regards,
    Kuba

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  24. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Yep the settings are the same as you said "unchecked"..

I started a new project, it seems to have solved that problem but now the character slides back when in idle. Also he's not pointing the gun towards the cross-hair :/

25. Kubold

Kubold

So you use Unity 4.3.4 and did exactly this:

1. Import to a new, fresh Unity Project
    2. Download and Import fresh version of Playmaker
    3. Import Rifle Animset Pro
    4. Copy the files from COPY_THIS folder to your Assets folder (the main assets folder).
    5. Delete the COPY_THIS folder
    6. Add 2 additional Axes in the Input panel

right? And it produces different errors every time you do this? I now triple checked, it really should work if you start off with new project.

Anyway, what the other problem looks like, is that Additive animations for aiming and shooting, do not have an AvatarMask, to just play the anims on upper body. If they are played on full body, they will slide the character to the left (it does something like that in Humanoid, I don't know if Generic has the same). This is because the Root Motion well... adds up, and we don't want to do that. All we want to add up is the upper body rotations.

UPDATE:
    Wait just few more minutes, I recorded a tutorial how to install just right now. Uploading to YouTube in progress.

26. Kubold

Kubold

[video=youtube_share;LYlbZDm_VQo]http://youtu.be/LYlbZDm_VQo

I skipped the X360 gamepad axis adding at the very end.

27. painkiller2007

painkiller2007

Is there an easy way to change to a mecanim character ? The animations are all generic..
    When changed to humanoid format, the character does not work correctly...

28. Kubold

Kubold

Yes. It was mentioned couple of posta ago:
    WEB PLAYER - MECANIM HUMANOID (Robot Kyle) - Proof of concept

Hey, here's my quick mecanim avatar retarget on Robot Kyle. Completly different skeleton than mine.
    I spent on this about 30 minutes. Here's what I did:
    1. Converted all Rifle Animset Pro animations from Generic to Humanoid
    2. Changed all the root motion options to Original
    3. Added an Avatar Mask (just upper body) to both additive layers in MECANIM graph
    4. Switched my soldier to Robot Kyle
    5. Clicked through couple of FSM's to reference Kyle instead of my soldier (about 5-6 States)
    4. Turned on foot IK and Left Hand IK (so it holds the gun)

Viola.

As for using my PlayMaker controller for UMA system - That's more complex than I thought. The characters from UMA have their own controllers, scripts, spawning, modules etc. I'm sure it can be done, but probably with heavy tweaks of their scripts.

29. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

ok i see the what the problem is, I thought you can to set it to humanoid, thats where all the problems start.

on generic it's fine.

30. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

so how come you used generic for the controller instead of humanoid?

31. Kubold

Kubold

Very good question, I've been thinking about it myself lately. I am so used to making animations for AAA projects, that I automatically do things like they should be in a good game: optimized, not using processor for expensive retargeting, with good skeleton that allows having roll bones on arms, forearms, thighs and shins. With prop (weapon) bones, that I can animate, so for example a character can throw the gun in the air and catch it. So my way of thinking was:
    "These guys are (or want to be) game developers. They want to MAKE a game, not buy and play one. I'll give them realistic animations, the thing that Asset Store lacks, so they can use them in their game". So, ideally, I thought, devs will make Humanoid if they want humanoid.

After a month and a half, I think, that way of thinking was a mistake. It's clear to me, that majority of devs doesn't want to solve unnecessary problems, even if it's just 30 minutes of work. I think I should convert all the anims to Humanoid in both packages in future updates.

32. Kubold

Kubold

Hehe, I'm good, I was right about the character sliding backwards. If you had made an avatar mask, like I said, it would work :)

33. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

oh by the way it wasn't a complaint it was more me learning from you. I'm new to playmaker and pretty rusty with mecanim, and seeing that playmaker only released mecanim actions recently, I thought that maybe you had problems with humanoid within playmaker.

I'm very happy with the animations, and you're correct that there isn't any animations of this quality on the asset store. The player maker controller is a huge bonus for me to learn from, so I'm very grateful. In other words I would've been very happy with just the animations, but am super happy that you added a playmaker controller... it really plays well too :)

I think if you've found that using generic is better for AAA quality than that is the way to go.

I didn't see your video about the avater+mask.. sorry.

Anyway keep up the great work. If you make a separate animation package with shooting from the hip, one handed and two I will buy it in a instant.

Keep up the great work Kubold :)

34. painkiller2007

painkiller2007

Thanks for the reply Kubold!!
    Firstly i forgot to mention the asset is just great!! Its a gem in the asset store.. I don't know why its not getting viral :p The animations are really top notch..
    :D

About the mecanim animation support.. There are so many animations in it...Converting every animation to humanoid and changing all root motion to original takes so much of time :|
    I don't mind doing the changes in FSMs too :D
    But there are just soooo many animations ..

I wanted to ask if there would be some way to make it a bit more faster process of putting a new character..

I really appreciate your asset. I understand if its not possible.. :)

35. Kubold

Kubold

That's why I think I will convert to Humanoid in next updates. Like I said, if 95% devs do it anyway, it should be default.

Thanks, I'm happy you like the animations :)

36. painkiller2007

painkiller2007

Thanks a lot!! Really appreciate it!! I want to use this pack in my game asap! :)
    Hope the update comes through quickly with the knife and pistol animations. :D

37. ZJP

ZJP

Good move. Thanks for this.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  38. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

.. edited out sorry

39. painkiller2007

painkiller2007

Any ETA on the update ? :|

40. Kubold

Kubold

I had a free hour yestarday, so I converted all the anims to Humanoid, tested it and submitted. Version 1.15 should be in the store in 2 days (though the last update took them 6 days, so you never know).
    I also did this short video how to replace the character with any other Humanoid (it should take 2 minutes):
    [video=youtube_share;Oz3wzB8apEE]http://youtu.be/Oz3wzB8apEE

I also made sure it runs in Unity Free.

41. ZJP

ZJP

Have you done the same for the other animation pack (Movement Animset Pro)?

42. Kubold

Kubold

No, not yet, the other pack is just animations with no controller. Until I make and include a controller, I'll leave the animations alone. I can probably make the controller during the weekend, but this is no promise.

But, if you have to have them in Humanoid now, it is really not that much work to convert. It takes 20 seconds (you don't have to change the Root Motion options to Original in every animation, since in Movement Animset Pro upper body faces mostly forward. Mecanim will take the front direction from that).

43. ZJP

ZJP

Thanks for the reply...

44. painkiller2007

painkiller2007

Godd...the update is still not out!! :|

The waiting sucks .... But i know it will be worth the wait :)

45. Kubold

Kubold

It probably takes them longer than this 1-3 days with more complex packages.
    Btw. Pistol Animset Pro is almost ready. I was not gonna do it, but... in the end somebody maybe needs pistol animations, not just additive hack.

46. Kubold

Kubold

Rifle Animset Pro is now updated to v.1.15.

Changes:
    - animations and characters are now Humanoid
    - it is now easier to switch your character to any Humanoid in PlayMaker controller

2:30 min tutorial:
    [video=youtube_share;Oz3wzB8apEE]http://youtu.be/Oz3wzB8apEE

If you already started to work with previous versions of Rifle Animset Pro, be sure to back up your work! Although the aniamtions did not change, they were converted from Generic to Humanoid, and could override your current animations setup.

47. Kubold

Kubold

Pistol Animset Pro is out.

Click for Asset Store link

This is a complete set of motion capture animations, to build a seamless, third person perspective character with pistol movement for your game.

It is compatible with Rifle Animset Pro animations and controller. You can play the animations on whole body, or switch the upper body between rifle and pistol animations - the legs move the same in both packages. Animations use MECANIM Humanoid rig.

[video=youtube_share;ymvQA6axwvE]http://youtu.be/ymvQA6axwvE

Click for Pistol Animset Pro Animation List

48. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Fantastic!!

Purchased!!! :)

49. ZJP

ZJP

Well done. Purchased... :D

50. ZJP

ZJP

BTW, missing some Strafe 45 and 135 animation in Pistol and Rifle pack.

Missing

Pistol_StrafeRight45Loop
    Pistol_StrafeLeft135Loop
    Pistol_StrafeRun45RightLoop
    Pistol_StrafeRun135RightLoop

Rifle_StrafeRight45Loop
    Rifle_StrafeLeft135Loop
    Rifle_StrafeRun45RightLoop
    Rifle_StrafeRun135RightLoop

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014