Search Unity

Rider vs Resharper for Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by frosted, Aug 6, 2019.

1. van800

van800

JetBrains Employee

Sad to hear that. Unity just doesn't provide any API to read Console settings :( I opened request for that.
    What is missing in Rider UnityLogView and exists in ConsolePro? Custom filter presets?

2. van800

van800

JetBrains Employee

Is it on Rider 2019.2.2? Definitely looks like a bug. Please check if you have "Focus application on brakepoint" setting in Rider.
    upload_2019-9-9_14-45-49.png

3. frosted

frosted

There is definitely a bug here - wherein it will not always bring focus. I'm not sure why it fails to flash focus sometimes but it does (even with the focus setting toggled).

The biggest problem for me is really no "clear on play" - the log may not be autoscrolling while I am focused in editor - so may not even be viewing newest lines. The result is that I am working in unity, hit some log line I want to check out - tab into rider and then need to click on log window and scroll down.

Lets say there I have collected a few hundred lines of console log while doing a few rounds of playtesting. The last time I hit playmode produced 50 lines in console. I want to only see those 50 lines while reviewing output, otherwise it is hard to see only the last play mode session in isolation.

Basically, in unity editor I almost never ever click the "clear" log button, but in rider - I have to use it regularly (to the extent I wished for a hotkey).

ps: I don't wish to complain - you really did an excellent job all around, But for my workflow at least, having console log clear on play is very important (as is autoscroll if rider is not focused while new logging occurs)

4. Metron

Metron

Flag is set and yet, it doesn't blink...

5. van800

van800

JetBrains Employee

There is an issue to follow https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-198293 and you may play with registry keys `suppress.focus.stealing`, `suppress.focus.stealing.linux` mentioned in the request.

6. van800

van800

JetBrains Employee

Clear on Play was fixed only for upcoming 2019.3, which is not yet available. Estimation for first EAPs Early October. Fix itself https://github.com/JetBrains/resharper-unity/pull/1294. Thank you for your use-case description.

frosted likes this.
  7. Baste

Baste

@IvanShakhov, since you're here and I'm not having very much luck posting issues on the github repo:

The install list in Unity is a good idea, but it's impossible to parse:
    upload_2019-9-13_10-12-13.png

The live templates has some unfortunate behaviour where they change the wanted method signature:

bug.gif

You had working support for asmdef files, but had to drop it as something it used was removed from Rider. It'd be really nice to get support back.

Otherwise the plugin is pretty great. Rider itself seems to be slowing down over time, which is a bigger problem. If you keep the current trend, you'll probably be as slow as Visual Studio in a year or two. You're kinda following this universal trend in software where what the users really need is the current feature set with more performance and less bugs, but you're instead adding features at a steady pace, all the while degrading performance and adding bugs.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

9. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

But why console pro is not purchased by JetBrain so is available better in Rider?

@frosted Do you still recommend Rider over VS?
    And at the end for a new user purchase Rider or for 10 more dotUltimate that includes ReSharper?
    https://www.jetbrains.com/rider/buy/?fromIDE#personal?billing=yearly

10. frosted

frosted

I'm still using rider and have been since that post.

Is it better than VS+resharper? TBH, I'm not sure. I've been using Rider for the last 2 years now. It's got some nice integration that I don't think VS has, for example "Find unity usages" will search prefabs and scenes for a script which is nice.

The Rider debugger is way better than the last VS debugger I used (but this was years ago and it probably improved). Same with the shader editor, much better than the VS editor (but I haven't used newest VS).

I haven't used the rider log in so long I forgot it existed. Lol.

My biggest Rider complaint is 100% its "align to column" formatting which is just awful, but most ppl probably won't even use that. But god is it bad @van800, can you ask the guy at jetbrains to improve it plz?

AlanMattano likes this.
  11. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Thx Frosted for the replay

That's important!

No, I mean,
    I need to choose between the JetBrain subscription: Rider or Rider+ReSharper+other "dotUltimate". My experience in C# is 5yr (like a powerful beginner?).

12. xVergilx

xVergilx

I'd say default Rider covers all Unity dev needs. Rest is useful for pure C# dev, but not for Unity oriented dev.

13. van800

van800

JetBrains Employee

Sorry, it would really be better if you call Help->Report a Bug
    and attach some screenshots/explanation on what doesn't work for your with that formatting.

14. Baste

Baste

I also turned off automatic column alignment and just told the formatter to leave extra spaces alone.

I don't think it's really a solvable problem - column alignment is about making the code more readable, and what more readable is is very hard to pin down in static formatter rules.

Being able to hit "refactor this" and not have Rider mess with my alignment is a big boon, though!

15. frosted

frosted

Firstly there are just straight up bugs where it will sometimes align a statement against a one line conditional.

Code (csharp):
    2. var x        = 1;
    3. if( true ) x = 2;
    it should not columnify if there is a conditional statement (or at least that should be an option).

Secondly, usually you don't want to columify two lines unless they're relatively the same length. Automatic columnification should only be a thing if there are 3 or more lines adjacent (or it should be an option).

Code (csharp):
    2.     Camera main = Camera.main;
    3.     var    x    = 1;
    This almost always looks bad. Two line blocks should really only be aligned if they're nearly the same width, but its better to just turn this off if "nearly the same width" is too subjective.

I mean, I agree with you that you can't fully automate columns, but the rider implementation is just bad.