Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Rider vs Resharper for Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by frosted, Aug 6, 2019.

1. frosted

frosted

So I finally got around to upgrading Unity from 5.6.6f1 and I figured I might as while upgrade from Visual Studio 2010 as well. My previous resharper license is toasty.

So with Rider and Resharper being around the same price, which is better working in Unity?

After a quick trial run, Rider looks pretty good, but what do you guys think?

2. Vryken

Vryken

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Rider comes with Resharper already installed.

3. frosted

frosted

Sorry - I meant Visual Studio with resharper.

I thought resharper was always the VS plugin, although that might have changed, I haven't been following all that closely.

4. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I think it's better to stay with VS, better support for azure and tooling and probably also future tooling. I'm on vs 2019 and latest ReSharper, works well

5. If you use MS services, then probably VC with ReSharper is a better choice because there are things in VS to support them. If you don't and you don't plan to do that, then it matter of taste. I only played with Rider once, it's really cool.
    If you use it only for Unity work without extra MS services, does not matter which you choose in my opinion.

AlanMattano likes this.
  6. Devastadus

Devastadus

Rider / Jetbrains is good keeping up with whatever tooling you need. I'll put my vote for Rider, Granted they both do unity equally well, I would say it would come down to what one you prefer. Since i use intellij at work, jetbrains has IDE's for everything out there. So if you decide to develop for macs or IOS you can get AppCode and be instantly familar with the IDE knowing all hotkeys and shortcuts.

Thanitsak, _Radagan and tcmeric like this.
  7. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Tooling like service fabric etc work better in VS. In my opinion, but if you do not use it and do not plan on using features like that you can choose any of the two.

8. frosted

frosted

I'm really looking at specific features - Rider has integration w/ the unity console so you can walk back the stack for example (even out of debug mode) - does VS have something similar?

Rider also maintains a connection to the Unity process while not in debug, which means you can comfortably keep working without having to reconnect over and over.

Old VS integration had nothing like that - does new VS integration have similarly well thought out features?

9. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

You mean the feature that you can double click the stacktrace and open VS on that line?

10. frosted

frosted

I mean double click a specific line in the stack trace not the top line.

I used to have to use a unity plugin to make it so i could jump to a specific line in the stack, rider has full integration out of the box.

11. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

It looks like this in 2019 with VS 2019, the blue text is clickable and you end up on that line

upload_2019-8-6_21-54-19.png

12. frosted

frosted

That's pretty good - that's stock everything - just Unity 2019?

Here's Rider displaying the unity console
    rider64_2019-08-06_15-54-44.png

Note that it also has the package view available in handy form - does vs2019 also have this?

13. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Yepp, stock

14. frosted

frosted

I think the 'remain always connected' feature will win me over unless 2019 has the same?

Also, is there a way to prevent VS from going into readonly mode while debugger is attached to unity?

15. Ryiah

Ryiah

What are you referring to when you say "remain always connected"? Are you referring to the reload that Unity goes through when you alt-tab between windows?

16. frosted

frosted

I mean a combination of not locking the editor when youre debugging and the console feed always being synchronized in ide.

17. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Pretty sure the editor locks when breaking on a breakpoint or just pausing

18. ChrisDirkis

ChrisDirkis

From experience, VS2019 + Intellisense Extender + Roslynator is pretty comparable to VS2019 + Resharper. Haven't used Rider, but if you're interested in 80% of the value for 0% of the cost, that's probably where I'd start.

cdr9042 and Socrates like this.
  19. Antypodish

Antypodish

20. frosted

frosted

Yeah console enhanced got me through some rough times.

Being able to have a debugger connected and editing code (even if the code isn't updated on the fly like normal .net apps in visual studio) is a huge gain though. And being able to view the actual unity project contents from the IDE, including assets and prefabs (and being able to switch back to normal solution view) is another big and obvious win.

I'm pretty sold on Rider, they even have some semi functional code complete for shaders!

21. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Cool that Jetbrains are taking interest in Unity :D

edit: I would never survive without resharper,you can see here, I never use the mouse once within VS :p

22. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

At work we swapped to rider from VS and the difference is night and day. Best IDE I have used in about 20 years, and yes that includes VS + resharper.

Its actually difficult to explain how much of a difference it makes, but its a great deal.

23. xVergilx

xVergilx

Rider. Always pick Jetbrains when it comes to IDE's.

VS just sucks infinitely compared to Rider.

24. steego

steego

I did the free trial of Rider around a year ago, and was sold after about 3 days. Never once thought about changing to something else since then.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  25. Ony

Ony

< sits over in the corner with NotePad++

26. iamthwee

iamthwee

If you had said Notepad without the ++ I would have been suitably more impressed.

NotaNaN, Peter77, ikazrima and 4 others like this.
  27. Best lightweight editor for windows ever. I used it daily for PHP-JS-HTML-CSS work back in the days. I have it installed on my computer and I use it for quick fixes and text-file support.

Ryiah, Ony and Antypodish like this.
  28. Ryiah

Ryiah

My last few assists on the forums have been with Notepad. Writing anything more than a page though is really painful. :p

Ony and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  29. iamthwee

iamthwee

For some reason I always imagined you using vim to reply to forum posts using the lynx web browser ;)

30. Antypodish

Antypodish

Using terminal would be more fun :)

31. I use the forum's internal code textarea for this. :livin'on da edge:

Ryiah and Ony like this.
  32. tcmeric

tcmeric

Went from VS to Rider. Never looked back.

33. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

34. frosted

frosted

All the features from resharper that I ever used are in Rider, and so far, I'm just really impressed with it.

One thing is that it has too many little doodads on screen by default, code vision and the like, but thankfully jetbrains configuration options are superb and you can strip it down.

It's hard to describe why Rider is better IMO, but in general the Jetbrains guys really understand how to build a good workflow (it's why their IDEs are so incredible) and they really nailed it with Unity. Moving between IDE and Unity just feels smoother, especially with the "Unity" explorer view that mirrors the actual view of the project within Unity instead of viewing the solution.

Here are two different view options, one being solution view and the other being a mirror of the unity view.
    rider64_2019-08-08_13-10-22.png rider64_2019-08-08_13-10-05.png
    It might be hard to understand the difference in screenshot, but its immediately clear and useful when you use it.

Rider also allows you to do stuff like create shaders or assembly definitions from IDE in the right click menu.

It's just generally smoother. Feels like its really integrated instead of bolted on.

35. Baste

Baste

Rider and Resharper share most of the code base. The Unity plugin is the same github repo. Rider is essentially Resharper without VS slowing it down.

I switched from VS to Rider back when Rider was in beta, and I haven't looked back. It's just faster than VS+Resharper, and plain VS just doesn't have all the necessary navigation or refactoring features.
    Now, Rider isn't perfect. It noticeably slows down with large files, and there's some things that are a bit over-engineered. There's also bugs here and there, but those gets fixed if you can provide them with a good repro.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  36. Devastadus

Devastadus

it says so on the Rider page https://www.jetbrains.com/rider/ . Not sure about your plugin.

I use Intellij Daily at work. Since Jetbrains makes Resharper I'm pretty sure all the resharper stuff is built into all their IDE's. I can't say I know or don't know since all i use are Jetbrain IDE's and have never lived without it to know what living without resharper is like.

AndersMalmgren likes this.
  37. andyz

andyz

Even VS community offers a lot of code analysis, suggestions, quick actions and refactoring now a days.
    I am curious what your most used features are beyond those available for free or in non-resharper VS.

38. xVergilx

xVergilx

For "free" doesn't mean its implemented as good.

39. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Almost none of the features of resharper that regular users of it enjoy are in any free IDE, including with plugins + extensions.

Anyone wondering, download a free trial of rider and youll know whether you want it after a few days.

I have yet to meet anyone who has used it for more than a couple of weeks and not ended up switching to it.

On their webpage is a quote from unity CTO @Joachim_Ante who says that rider is great and works in the quote. I expect he probably uses rider himself :) (would be great to hear if he does but I am sure he is far too busy to chime in here!)

xVergilx likes this.
  40. andyz

andyz

I will try it but Unity likes it because they sell it on their asset store!

41. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

The navigation and refactor support is none existing without ReSharper. You can check my video above were i use alot of ReSharper features doing actual coding

42. steego

steego

@AndersMalmgren as far as I know, ReSharper and Rider are developed in parallel, and all Rider is is basically IntelliJ bundled with the ReSharper plugin, and a couple of other niceties. You should basically be able to set up IntelliJ with plugins to be exactly the same as Rider, it is just more convenient to have it as a separate IDE.

43. van800

van800

JetBrains Employee

I would say for Unity Rider has more features, because it has EditorPlugin inside Unity. You can hit Play in Rider and Unity will go PlayMode. You can run your tests in Rider and they will be passed to Unity, Unity will execute them and result will be shown back in Rider. You can see Unity console logs directly in Rider and some other features like that.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  44. Metron

Metron

I tested Rider for a couple of days recently and I went back to VS2019. Main reason was the lack of visual feedback when a breakpoint was hit in Rider. VS will blink in the task bar while Rider didn't do anything. Whenever the breakpoint was hit, it took me several seconds before realising that Rider halted the game.

Second reason was that I couldn't figure out how to put 2 source code windows side by side. In VS it's a simple drag/drop.

I'm currently testing VS with Resharper. I'm happy so far. Although I'm used to use a combination of Visual Assist and Coderush (+codemap), I'm tempted to include Resharper in this combination.

45. Baste

Baste

That's a lot of info. It's almost like as if you have some special insight in how Rider works. Like if you worked on it.

;)

You can drag and drop to a secondary monitor, or anything outside the window. If you want to split a tab in the same window, you right-click the tab and select split horizontally/vertically. There's probably bindable keyboard shortcuts for that.

46. BenThomas5

BenThomas5

Rider originates from other JetBrains such as ReSharper and WebStorm but now turned into an IDE. It is cross-platform, meaning, it can run on both Windows, Mac and several flavors of Linux, offering the same set of functionality and identical behavior on all of them. Visual Studio also supports Mac and Linux, but not all of these platforms have the same feature set. This is a big advantage for Rider: it just looks and behaves the same everywhere.

47. Metron

Metron

I saw that I could drag it into a separate window... don't like it.

The splitting is only for the same source file, right?

Edit: typo

48. Baste

Baste

Splitting is for the same source file, but when you do that you have a secondary target to drag-and-drop, so you can split the window and then move things to the other half.

49. frosted

frosted

In practice I'm actually finding some of Rider's integration to be kinda annoying.

For example, having the unity log feed directly is kinda great, except the log doesn't match settings in editor (clear on play being a major example). So the log I am looking at in Rider is often very different from the Editor log, and that disconnect costs time.

I've started to just not use the rider log at all, which is kinda a step backward from something like the console pro plugin I used previously.

50. van800

van800

JetBrains Employee

Well, yeah, I work for JetBrains and I am 2-nd biggest contributor to resharper-unity plugin.

Thanitsak, AlanMattano and Ony like this.