Search Unity

Rider is not the best choice, despite its ads

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by ExtraCat, Sep 3, 2021.

1. ExtraCat

ExtraCat

I decided to try jetbrains rider after seeing countless ads about it. I installed preview version to evaluate it, and opened one of my scripts.

Imagine my shock when sophisticated rider's algorithm suggested me to mark as readonly variables that get changed literally a few lines later in the very same file. And also mark as private class constructors, effectively destroying them.

That was enough already to stop the evaluation and try asking the developers why their product suggests obviously wrong edits for a very small and simple C# script.

So went to jetbrains unity forum and described the situation, asking what's going on.

Alas, just a few minutes later my question was removed for some reason. There was zero rudeness of any kind in my post (just like in this one), so I only can conclude they don't like negative posts of any kind.

Of course that made the decision of uninstalling and never using rider again pretty obvious.

Visual Studio certainly has its problems, but it never suggested me any logic-breaking edits, nor tried to censor me instead of providing support.

2. This sounds very strange for me, using Rider for more than a year now and would never ever go back to VS ever again.

Rider only suggest variables to be readonly when they can be (like lists and stuff, and when they actually can be) and suggest private constructor if there is no outside usage of said class. But all of this can be configured, of course, so you can do whatever you want.

Could you post the script you had problem with?