Search Unity

Question [Rider] I can't debug players built with another machine than mine

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by Midiphony-panda, Feb 24, 2022.

1. Midiphony-panda

Midiphony-panda

Hello, this is kind of a follow-up of this thread : https://forum.unity.com/threads/i-cant-debug-il2cpp-build-with-rider.1157870/

I am unable to debug players built with another machine than mine, on Rider.

It seems Rider is able to attach itself to the running player, but the following error is displayed on my breakpoints :
    Tooltip Rider.png
    [someScript].cs it not found among the loaded symbol documents

I don't know anyone at my studio who is able to debug/break in this use case.

I feel like this is a very common use case in game studios, with build servers releasing builds periodically.
    Is this a known issue ? Are there some workarounds ?

Jetbrains redirected me to this ticket :
    https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/RIDER-66147

Thanks !

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  2. Midiphony-panda

Midiphony-panda

3. citizenmatt

citizenmatt

JetBrains Employee

Hi all. Just to let you know that we’re aware of the issue, and the impact it can have. We haven’t been able to address this in Rider 2022.1, which is just about to be released, but it is scheduled for the following major release - 2022.2, due in a few months. There is a comment on the issue linked above with a couple of things you can try as a workaround, but they’re not ideal - a second copy of the source in the same location, or links/junction points in the file system. Apologies for the inconvenience, we’ll get this supported as soon as we can.

4. KHagen95

KHagen95

@citizenmatt is there any update on the bug? I've hit the same issue, where I have our games built via a CI server and when I try to debug it on my machine, I can't with Rider. Tried and tested in Rider 2022.2.2 and 2022.2.3 and I can't debug in either version, which is quite detrimental to workflows of course.

Would be happy to see a fix soon!

5. sinaari

sinaari

If you're seeing this when working with Unity then try clicking the "Regenerate Project Files" button in Unity's Preferences->External Tools, and also maybe clearing all the Rider cache.

Midiphony-panda likes this.
  6. Dominik-P

Dominik-P

Did you find solution how to fix this issue? It happens to me after upgrading from Unity 2021 LTS to 2022 LTS (extact version 2022.3.24f1). I have regenerated project files, upgraded Rider to the latest version 2024.1.1, cleared Rider cache and nothing helped