Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

RFID with UNITY

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by xandeck, Sep 28, 2011.

1. xandeck

xandeck

2. andorov

andorov

I believe the pro license allows C++ plugins which would likely be required to connect to any low level API. The low level drivers are usually supplied by manufacturers and are generally fairly easy to use (I've had a lot of experience programming magnetic readers, locks, etc) and don't require much effort to write a wrapper for.

If you want to skirt by the limitation of the pro license, you could write a C++ client and C# server that can intercommunicate. Basically control the low level api through a server-client architecture.

To be honest, I'm a little unclear as to what you are trying to do...

3. xandeck

xandeck

Basically, I'm searching any way to read RFID inputs into Unity (and then save/read to a TXT or XML file, or even a variable inside Unity), like the video in my first post (you can see that the device is connected into the iPad and then reads the RFID device, saving the text inside the iPad notepad). We are using QR Code with Flash, I already know there is a way (including someone is selling it in Asset Store) for QR Code and Unity, but I want to know for RFID.

And I'm using UnityPro, no problem for plugins... but I was searching for a quick solution, or anything already made, to use RFID with Unity.

4. Jaso

Jaso

This post is one of the most exciting posts I've ever read in this forum. My ideas spread out of what will be possible (in terms of Marketing Communications) in the future with RFID readers rather than QR Code readers. Thank you a lot for your thriving developement and your compelling thoughts beyond.

5. JRavey

JRavey

RFID interrogators usually have an API which can be used, so I don't really see what's particular special here. It's not different than using a bar code reader's API to input values into your application.

6. PatHightree

PatHightree

Have a look at Phidgets, they have an RFID reader and their API is available in C#.

7. Harissa

Harissa

The simplest way to do this would be with a serial port enabled rfid tag reader. Unity can read serial port data although last time I tried it in V2.5 it was a bit buggy. Hope they've got it fixed now. Try http://www.rfidshop.com/ and have a look at the low frequency readers. The company is quite helpful if you ask them.

8. PiNPOiNT

PiNPOiNT

I'm working on a solution and will post a tutorial and example in a week or two

9. goat

goat

I always though it would be fun to port a game like Pacman or other simple old arcade games to the 'real-world' with RFID (or bluetooth but I'm guessing RFID is cheaper), mechanics, cheap old CPUs, and controllers.

10. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

my way to go about this on mac anyway is to use a micro controller, like the arduino with a processing script open streaming all sensor inputs to a text file, then just have unity stream them in.

For a cleaner distributable solution a plugin probably makes more sense.

11. MLH1407

MLH1407

Phidgets is the way to go - i found a unity project here on the forum that used their controllers - it worked.
    I dont know C that well so i did a Phidget >> MaxMsp >> Unity solution instead.
    I used the MaxMsp examples from Phidgets + the µ (MU) project for that because i needed a webcam as well.

12. xandeck

xandeck

Hello again,

Ok, where I work we developed a solution to use Unity with RFID and it works GREAT. We made some projects already (advergames) where users need to pass their VIP Cards (or anything with RFID chip) and then somethings happens in an iPad (shows into a web, shows somekind of gift, etc).

I was wondering if we put this solution into Asset Store, would you buy it? :)

Cheers

migueltorresjr likes this.
  13. kyy921

kyy921

very interesting! if can buy it on assetstore , of course i will pay for it

14. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Was it really necessary to bump a thread just to say that? Also, saying you will pay for something is implied when purchasing items on the asset store.

15. ciruelica

ciruelica

Hi everyone,

I am happy to read that there is more people interested in integrating RFID's with a Unity project. Actually, I am working in a Augmented Reality project with Unity and Vuforia and I would like to make possible to interact with RFID's. I was wondering if anyone could give me some beginner tips or if somebody knows the state of the art : )

Cheers,
    Claudia.

16. deharia.pankaj

deharia.pankaj

I want to detect the RFID device connected in LAN and also want to detect the tags comes in devices range. This i had already done in WPF and C#.
    Can i integrate Alien RFID device in uinty3D 5?
    How to do this is Unity3D?

17. 22

Hi xandeck, did you release your RFID plugin already? I am also interested in it. Thanks! Martin

18. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

ronshalev3d and efge like this.
  19. BjoUnity3d

BjoUnity3d

ronshalev3d likes this.