Search Unity

Reward videos

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by QPRocky, Oct 11, 2014.

1. QPRocky

QPRocky

I'm wondering, is reward videos allowed in iOS (watch video to gain some ingame item/ingame coins), as I see those now and then in games. But haven't Apple banned those or have I misunderstood something?

2. elmar1028

elmar1028

It's quite confusing to me too. I heard that Apple is going to disallow apps with "watch video get rewards" advertising.

Right now I can see Supercell's HayDay and Zynga's Words with Friends still have video rewards.

Maybe they gave up on that idea... :p

3. ippdev

ippdev

I hope not or I have recommended the wrong solution to two current clients and this will hold up my final payments on their projects. Can someone from Unity..Nikkolai maybe..answer this?

4. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

It's not a common issue, but rejections do seem to happen depending on how ads are being presented with respect to the availability of options for the user. In the end, it's up to the discretion of Apple.

One developer recently forwarded us a response from the App Review Team identifying that the reason for their game being rejected wasn't because they were showing ads in game, but because they weren't allowing the user to skip video ads with a duration of 20 seconds or longer. Additionally, the user wasn't given a choice in watching the ad. Instead the ad was shown immediately upon reaching the end of gameplay, but with no option to skip.

To avoid this issue, it's recommended to either:
    1. present the user with the option to watch a video ad and forgo the option to skip,
    2. or provide them with the ability to skip the ad when the ad is automatically shown.
    In any situation, you want to try to keep the user's best interests in mind.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  5. HeikkiTunkelo

HeikkiTunkelo

Unity Technologies

Hi,

According to how we've seen Apple review policies being enforced, rewarding user for just watching an ad is OK.

Cheers,
    Heikki