Search Unity

Revit 2013 into Unity 3D

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by ben__10, Jul 11, 2013.

1. ben__10

ben__10

Hey everyone. I have a problem that has been making me pull my hair out all week! I'm a newbie to all of this and I'm just hoping someone may be able to help me out.

I am trying to create workflows from the major BIM platforms; Revit, Sketchup etc... into Unity to allow for a 3D immersive environment which could be run in a CAVE.

I seem to be having major problems with Revit. This is my current workflow for getting a model into Unity:
    Open up a 3D view of a project in Revit > Export FBX from Revit > Open 3ds Max > import the FBX from Revit > accept default settings > Click ‘render production’ on the main toolbar > Under ‘render preset’ select ‘mental.ray.daylighting.high’ and select ‘load’ > Export into the ‘Assets’ Directory of a Unity project.
    Warnings appear regarding the geometries, and too many material faces. I am not sure how I should be cleaning up?
    I am making sure that I am embedding media.

The project loses most of its textures and only basic colours appear, which for me is not satisfactory. I know that there are programs you can buy which work around this problem, however, I am a student and cannot afford to dish out if there is an alternative! If anyone could give me advice on this, I would be entirely grateful. Thanks!

Ben

2. Archania

Archania

If it already exported from revit as a fbx, try just bringing that into unity and see if that works. Seems like a lot of extra steps.

3. lalitha devi

lalitha devi

hey i have a question something related to the above one.After exporting the revit file into unity, what if i want to make some changes to the revit model like adding few more elements?? do i need to export the whole file with changes and work again from the start in unity?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  4. CrazyTegger

CrazyTegger

If you're using Revit 2013 or newer, you need to convert the materials from Autodesk's default ones to standard ones that Unity can understand. personally I use http://materialconverter.com for all my HoloLens/Revit work.

5. nawash

nawash

Hi guys,

Just to let you know I've written a Revit plugin to export Revit project to Unity without using cloud transfer or IFC.
    I can of course, on demand, add specific Revit Data.
    I use the Revit API in this plugin so I can access a LOT of data and custom material properties.

For now, the plugin supports: hierarchy, meshes (with sharing), UVs, Materials, albedo and normal map textures and Family filter on export. If you are interested, please let me know via private message.